Through axle fu*k up

Packe777
Edited Date/Time 9/24/2022 11:59am
I have an embarrassing issue that i need help with. I think it stems from the dumb mistake i probably made when assembling the bike in a hurry, i think i switched the rear through-axle position so that the screw is on the derailleur side or maybe it should be the other way around, if you look at the pics look at the Nm number and arrow pointing for tightening.
I have tried to release the screw counter the arrow painted on the screw - but clock-wise should be for tightening like every other screw i suppose, so that releasing the screw is counter clockwise, but the painted marks showing the direction confused me so i messed up the screw head and my derrailer is out of place too and the screw is stuck and with pretty worn head.
Now i have found some tips online how to circumvent this worn/mangled screw head, but in what direction is the release now in the end, how to solve this rookie mess up i made:

|
Mbarosko
9/23/2022 4:14pm
You are trying to loosen your UDH which is the derailleur hanger not the axle. The UDH system is reverse thread and it will not loosen with the through axle installed. It looks like that one is pretty well wasted now and you will need to sort out a way to remove that outer cap again reverse thread and replace the UDH. When replaced please follow the SRAM directions as they are fairly specific for UDH. To remove your wheel the axle bolt on the opposite side will be what you need to loosen.
9/23/2022 5:29pm
Mbarosko wrote:
You are trying to loosen your UDH which is the derailleur hanger not the axle. The UDH system is reverse thread and it will not loosen...
You are trying to loosen your UDH which is the derailleur hanger not the axle. The UDH system is reverse thread and it will not loosen with the through axle installed. It looks like that one is pretty well wasted now and you will need to sort out a way to remove that outer cap again reverse thread and replace the UDH. When replaced please follow the SRAM directions as they are fairly specific for UDH. To remove your wheel the axle bolt on the opposite side will be what you need to loosen.
this, Except dont follow their "25 NM" 15Nm and some blue threadloc is all thats needed
Packe777
9/23/2022 11:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2022 11:50pm
Yup it's worn head of the UDH screw, i no torx will help, it just rotates in place, wearing the screw head furthermore, just tried it again.
Packe777
9/24/2022 11:58am
Thx for the tips man, but it got solved today. My friend who own a local bike shop, his guys were able to loosen the screw, and just moved the UDH back to it's place. Apparently nothing was damaged at all, i was lucky, had nothing to change, the same worn screw head is still there. Here are some pics below, the dirt is proof in the pudding rode it today. However i will change that UDH and screw down the road soon, and will not make dumb mistakes like this in the future, like not removing the through axle before the UDH, no wonder it almost got very bad. Thx everyone for chiming in! Best regards!

Post a reply to: Through axle fu*k up

The Latest