Accessibility Widget: On | Off

The mostest for the leastest.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2020 2:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2020 5:22 PM

Ok, so I am a over the hill MX racer (60) still hacking away at vet motocross. I have ridden and raced moto, cross country, enduro and trials all my life in one form or another.

I decided that I wanted to pick up ... something mtb. I want to work off some of this covid-lockdown weight. Plus work on more CV and have fun on. I despise road biking (have one, don't use it)

Yeah, I'm on a budget. Hence, looking for the most that I can get, used, and something that would be suited for trails around a local lake. Kind of a mixed bag of terrain, and no call for a downhill bike.

I had been looking in the local classifieds for sometime. Ran across a -cherry- 2015 2016 Trek Carbon Fiber Remedy 9.8 *Large 19.5. for $2k. Was ready to pull the trigger with a devil-may-care attitude. Apparently the seller wasn't ready. So the search continues.

My question is -- what is out there in the $2,000-$2500 (max) range that would be comparable?
E-bikes excluded please. (couldn't afford one anyways even I wanted one)

Pros? Cons? Obvious things to look for? I can talk mx bikes and moto minutiae all day long, but the modern day mtb, I've got a lot to learn. Probably more so than I want to.

|

10/27/2020 9:36 AM

You are speaking my language! I want great performance for less $. Here are some options:

1) Used, as you mentioned.

2) Direct-to consumer brand. (Commencal, Canyon, YT.) You can get a lot of bang for the buck with $2500 on one of those. You said no call for downhill, but you race MX, so I'd look for a trail or "all mountain" bike. You can bomb trails and have fun. They're a little more comfortable than full XC bikes and they pedal pretty well. (We MX guys don't know what a "bad" pedaling MTB feels like, anyway.)

Here are a few suggestions:
https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr-29-origin-brg-2021-c2x31920272

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/neuron/neuron-6/2824.html?dwvar_2824_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY

(oops, YT Jeffsys are sold out.)

|

10/27/2020 10:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2020 10:43 AM

we did a $2k bike test about this time last year. these aren't the only bikes in the category, as there are plenty of great bikes, but it's a good start. your biggest hurdle may be availability at this point. fezzari may has a good bang for the buck right now with availability. or keep cruising craigslist/classifieds

|

10/27/2020 11:03 AM

Giant Trance and Stance models would work well for where your local trails are. I'm in the same general region and the trails in the area don't warrant a DH rig. Great rigs with good parts and a new one would fit in your budget.

|

10/27/2020 8:49 PM

OK, thanks guys. This gives me some good insight and the youtube video really opens up some possibilities. I don't want to go all #ocd researching to the n'th degree, so.... I am liking (overall) the Fezzari Abajo Peak.

Dropper seat post - a must? (I'm thinking yes)

|

10/27/2020 10:01 PM

mikey wrote:

OK, thanks guys. This gives me some good insight and the youtube video really opens up some possibilities. I don't want to go all #ocd researching to the n'th degree, so.... I am liking (overall) the Fezzari Abajo Peak.

Dropper seat post - a must? (I'm thinking yes)

Yes, but only if you want to have fun.

|

10/27/2020 10:27 PM

Whichever bike company you choose from just make sure there is good support like replaceable parts such as linkage, derailleur hangers, bearings etc. Not that you will have to replace the parts, but it's good to know that the frame parts are readily available. Yes, dropper post!!

|

10/30/2020 4:11 PM

100% agree on the dropper post. Do not buy a bike without one.

In fact, buy a dropper post with a bike attached.

|

10/30/2020 5:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/31/2020 9:19 AM

Thanks again guys.

So, I should have known... covid madness. New bikes pretty much impossible to get, at least in the budget entry line. ($2k). Been calling local shops (within 50 miles and shopping dealers online, no joy) I had decided on the Fezzari Abajo Peak but they are quoting delivery in April. But I want to ride. Now.
I'm going to have to put in some sweat equity in my searches.

Online market places (i.e. Facebook market place) seems to be producing some good leads. Craiglslist, that will take some time in searching daily or more frequent.

Dropper post, for sure. On the top of he list.

Another question - 27.5 or 29er? I think either would work, and honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to tell unless I did a side-by-side comparison on the same runs..Maybe not even then.

This is a similar can of worms question that get's asked over on vitalmx akin to: What premix do you run or what is your jetting? LOL.

|

11/3/2020 1:21 PM

29" seems to be where all the bikes are going. I ride a 27.5" and my next bike will definitely be a 29er.

I run Yamalube at 36:1, BTW. :-)

|

11/4/2020 3:08 AM

mikey wrote:

Thanks again guys.

So, I should have known... covid madness. New bikes pretty much impossible to get, at least in the budget entry line. ($2k). Been calling local shops (within 50 miles and shopping dealers online, no joy) I had decided on the Fezzari Abajo Peak but they are quoting delivery in April. But I want to ride. Now.
I'm going to have to put in some sweat equity in my searches.

Online market places (i.e. Facebook market place) seems to be producing some good leads. Craiglslist, that will take some time in searching daily or more frequent.

Dropper post, for sure. On the top of he list.

Another question - 27.5 or 29er? I think either would work, and honestly, I probably wouldn't be able to tell unless I did a side-by-side comparison on the same runs..Maybe not even then.

This is a similar can of worms question that get's asked over on vitalmx akin to: What premix do you run or what is your jetting? LOL.

Try Pinkbike buy and sell. I’ve had more luck there than with Craigslist etc.

|

11/4/2020 7:16 AM

Nukeproof makes some of the cheapest bikes if you live in the US. I got a 2019 carbon mega for just over 3k, havent changed a part on it besides suspension revalve and cushcore.

|

11/4/2020 8:03 AM

Skerby wrote:

Nukeproof makes some of the cheapest bikes if you live in the US. I got a 2019 carbon mega for just over 3k, havent changed a part on it besides suspension revalve and cushcore.

Similar to Stradalli? As far as open mold type frame?
I'll be doing some research on Nukeproof. Prolly sold out anyways....

|

11/4/2020 8:30 AM

You may have to pack a lunch and drive to get a bike these days. I just did a day trip to Idaho to grab a new bike for the wife this past weekend. A few wins-the brand/ bike/size was in stock, got to do a road trip with the dog and wife, stretched the legs out on the Tundra on i95, and got some tasty fries and fry sauce.

|

11/4/2020 9:07 AM

Chain Reaction just restocked their new Vitus Sommets. Some great deals to be had there.

|

11/5/2020 3:50 AM

Skerby wrote:

revalve? do tell

|

i, too, enjoy eating dirt

11/5/2020 7:31 PM

Falcon and I are both from the moto-world/vitalmx crew too Lol

I asked this question earlier this year when I got bit by the bug. I had some great suggestions, and wanted to buy the Canyon Spectral or YT Jeffsy after reading the replies. But the problem is, if you want one of these affordable direct-to-consumer brands is that they were ALWAYS out of stock when I was ready to buy and I didn’t want to wait either.

My budget went from 1200 to 2000 to 2500 to 4000, so beware! You do get what you pay for, but the fun factor depends on you. (Just like the “obsolete” kickstart Suzuki is good enough for anyone, but gets ragged on the forum all the time compared to the latest and greatest) Also, asking 650B vs 29er is like asking 2t vs 4t IMO lol

Anyways, I would suggest something with at least 140mm travel front and 130mm rear for a good all around bike. I was glad I didn’t get less. If there are hills, I’d get a 12spd-it made my life easier. Dropper? Yes. I use it almost as much as I shift. Carbon is great, but Al is nothing to snub. I was worried about 29s feeling clumsy-I love them. This is just what I’ve learned after purchasing 2 bikes this year. Pinkbike is a good place to look, as well as FB Marketplace.

Good luck man!

|

SB5.5
SB95

11/10/2020 7:05 AM

My nephew bought a Giant Stance about a year ago, and he loves it. Granted, he is coming off of a Hardrock, so any FS bike is an upgrade, He has hammered that thing all year, and the only thing we've done to it is tune it up. I think he paid about $1600 for the model he got (Stance 2 maybe?). Not a lot of top-shelf components, but if you've never ridden with top shelf components....you really have no point of reference.

|