That Vanzacs Calendar

Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 7:59pm
Whats the crack with that ? What did they do ?
|
Tarhic
12/24/2021 5:59am
A cool calendar with chicks half naked, who have surely been paid for that or they were happy to do it. But you know how people are easily offended these days and need to speak about something cause they have nothing to do …

Go out and ride !
obskwr
12/24/2021 6:16am
Tarhic wrote:
A cool calendar with chicks half naked, who have surely been paid for that or they were happy to do it. But you know how people...
A cool calendar with chicks half naked, who have surely been paid for that or they were happy to do it. But you know how people are easily offended these days and need to speak about something cause they have nothing to do …

Go out and ride !
Coudn't have said it better.

Had a bunch of dudes Playing feminst advocating for those who have chosen to be involved.

Might be a bit dated it terms of it being okay to the general public. But none the less consent and the girls were keen.
jimmypop
12/26/2021 5:49am
Found the teenagers.

Yes, this is a wonderful way to get women into the sport. I'd be proud to show this to my daughter.
12/26/2021 7:46am
Resorting to insults, ignoring logical arguements, and providing none of your own is as small minded as it gets. Same goes for for a professional athlete degrading a person’s genitalia while trying to call them uneducated and over privelaged on social media.

Feminism has many strong role models that you may not necessarily agree with and you have every right to steer your daughters towards your own morals. But I hope when they find these type of women on their own you can be more open minded to them then you are to strangers on the internet. It certainly wasn’t other men who made me think what I do today.

nskerb
12/26/2021 7:51am
A few sensitive guys decided that seeing chicks is bad and it hurts their feelings, so they have to throw a shit fit and tell everybody that it’s bad and they shouldn’t like it.
jimmypop
12/26/2021 8:25am
Helping to prove my theorem that staying off the internet during school breaks is wise.

Or not, and reading garbage like this.

popcorn.gif
Atkisa
12/26/2021 10:09am
Freedom of exchange between people is not the same thing as exchange between free people.

Why do those of you on the "good clean fun" tip think that calendars of women are so much more prevalent than those of men?

Atkisa
12/26/2021 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2021 2:33pm
Lol what are you on about?

What would my ends be in this case?

If you don't like being challenged you shouldn't go round telling people what to think on forums and passing it off as common sense
Losifer
12/26/2021 2:43pm
We had plenty of Marzocchi calendars and other marketing material featuring scantily clad women on the walls of the bike shops where I worked throughout the 90s.

I’m not proud of participating in the dehumanizing and objectification of women, and started working in better, more inclusive shops in 2001.

The idea that there models are making the decision to appear in this calendar is irrelevant- this is the kind of immature, sexist bullshit that discourages women from the sport, from working in the industry, and frankly from wanting to be around cycling at all.

Martha Gill and Amanda Batty are badasses for speaking out about this. And feel free to come at me- Amanda is a friend that I will happily side with in this fight. She’s a better person (and far better rider) than most of the men I’ve known in damn near 30 years in this industry.
Atkisa
12/26/2021 3:49pm
I think you might be projecting a bit here.

You're essentially doing moral panic as an antidote to moral panic.
Losifer
12/26/2021 4:12pm
@Ooji- Is you reading comprehension that abysmal, or are you willfully obtuse?

The issue has nothing to do with me. I simply started with expressing that I was part of the problem.

it also has nothing to do with me looking at saucy pictures or enjoying the female form- it has to do with excluding women. Biking is a massively unbalanced sport, and with dudebros putting crap like this calendar out there it isn’t going to get any better.

As men in a male dominated activity, we can separate our sport from sexualization and objectification of half the population. All we accomplish with “girlie” posters is showing women and girls that they’re welcome to be eye candy, but not to just be our peers.

It’s real easy to pretend that no one gets hurt, because we understand that there is more to the models than modeling. Pretending that you are above everything while ignoring the damage done is exactly what’s wrong with the cycling industry and the culture surrounding it.
jimmypop
12/26/2021 4:32pm
You're arguing with some teenagers, man. I'd not put quite so much effort into it.
12/26/2021 6:00pm
jimmypop wrote:
You're arguing with some teenagers, man. I'd not put quite so much effort into it.
Nobody posting on the subject is a teenager. The only person who has posted anything useless on this topic is you. You are not having a conversation let alone a debate. The amount of cognitive dissonance it requires to behave like yourself reeks not only of immaturity but complete and total narcissism. The same goes for Amanda Batty’s approach regardless of the validity of her opinions.

There is a clear and definite difference between making a sexy calendar for the purposes of being a sexy calendar and decorating your bike shop with naked women or blowing the majority of your marketing budget on the same thing. There is a difference between quietly releasing something controversial and forcing others to look at it. There is a difference between expressing dislike for something and villianizing others for something that has at best the smallest of effects on yourself.

jimmypop
12/26/2021 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2021 6:17pm
"And the whole class cheered"

The calendar was in poor taste in any era. In 2021, it's more than tone deaf. Willfully ignorant is the phrase that comes to mind. This is the kind of content that's a direct attack on the (very marginal) progress on the DEI front in our sport.

There's no both-sidism to be had here. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Give it 10-15 years and you'll understand. Meanwhile, don't skip those critical writing classes in the meantime.
12/26/2021 7:13pm
jimmypop wrote:
"And the whole class cheered" The calendar was in poor taste in any era. In 2021, it's more than tone deaf. Willfully ignorant is the phrase...
"And the whole class cheered"

The calendar was in poor taste in any era. In 2021, it's more than tone deaf. Willfully ignorant is the phrase that comes to mind. This is the kind of content that's a direct attack on the (very marginal) progress on the DEI front in our sport.

There's no both-sidism to be had here. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Give it 10-15 years and you'll understand. Meanwhile, don't skip those critical writing classes in the meantime.
There you go mate. You made a point. That’s all anyone can ask for.

I have said multiple times the calendar is a pretty bad idea. Personally I have zero Interest in owning one. I have no interest in seeking out the photos. I assume it’s the same style of tacky advertisements that littered guitar magazines when I was a teen that I thought were tacky back then. I just question wether the correct response is anything besides saying that’s pretty tacky and moving on with my life. I also think there is a clear difference between a sexy calendar you choose to purchase and paying monster girls better than the female athletes at events or the tacky type of advertisements I mentioned above. And there is always two sides to every argument. I’ll repeat again there are strong female role models with completely different viewpoints. Beyond that there is an incredible range within it. I don’t necessarily agree with the people who are on “my side” with the black and white you are choosing to look at it. I know plenty of women who completely disagree with you and Amanda. I know plenty of men and women who do not find a sexy calendar or those type of advertisements tacky like I do. I grew up in an overly censored world and humanity is progressing quicker the more it is able to express itself fully to another.

However simply calling people people stupid without any level of “critical” thought just slows things down. So if you can’t post without insulting people can you at least try to make a point when you do?
Tanner_Carl
12/27/2021 6:12am
Tanner reads something on the internet that bothers him, tanner closes the page
12/27/2021 9:09am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2021 9:31pm
So, if there was a Sexy Hunks of Mountain Biking calendar put out there, would we see the same backlash?
Hit that kiosk at the mall this week.. There are options for whatever you want to look at all year.. Ironically, my wife would be the one most likely to buy me the Vanzacs calendar.. But, I wouldn't put it up because I respect her.. Personally, I would rather see women shredding hard on bikes rather that posing with them...

12/27/2021 11:47am
TL,DR: if you take anything the vanzacs do (besides their riding) seriously you are a clown
12/28/2021 12:47am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2021 12:47am
And still no link to the calendar...? My Vital calendar runs out next month - I need a bike related calendar 😉
mfoga
12/28/2021 7:25am
Until I see an actual calendar I will still question if they actually made me. Just because they posted they were making one does not mean that actually were.

Post a reply to: That Vanzacs Calendar

The Latest