Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Starting up: Downhill

Related:
Create New Tag

11/25/2012 4:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:22 AM

Hey, first of all. Let me apologise if this is in the wrong section of the forums. First time on here.

I'm looking to start up in the downhill mountain biking scene. I'm a motocrosser but i'm looking for a more accessable hobby to run alongside it. And after having experienced downhill a few years back at places such as Chick Sands, Cannock Chase, Sherwood forest and Glentress in Scotland (Glentress is amazing by the way, would recommend it for a great time)

Anyway, the bike I used back then was a Specialized Hardrock Sport (2007 model I believe - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hardrock-sport-2007-mountain-bike-ec014252#features)

I'm coming into the sport not knowing alot about it and i'm overwhelmed, the bike felt good but i'm wondering if it is a right choice to start with? Unfortunately due to the fact i'm a student with no job (College really can drain peoples time - I do try though) I only have roughly £250 - £300 max to spend on a bike. 2nd hand bikes are an option but I need to find out more before I go spending my lifes savings.

- Cheer

|

11/25/2012 8:19 PM

Your gonna want a full suspension bike for DH man something with disc brakes and wider tires, I'd suggest saving up some more money and getting a descent second hand bike. Even 500-600 range with get you something descent and much much better than what 250-300 would get you. I'd recommend looking at Giants, Specialized, Kona and the like since they have durable builds and lifetime warranties. Even though buying them second hand voids the warranty, you still might get lucky if you happen to break one and then they get you a new one! At least most of your moto gear with work for DH so you can put most/all of your money into your bike. Good luck!!

|

11/26/2012 10:45 AM

Cheers for the reply, i'll look into it. The hard tail idea isnt looking like a good one now i've had so many people telling me to just get a full sus. Cant wait to get into it.

|