Shimano xtr with eagle cassette and shifter.

Create New Tag

3/16/2018 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/16/2018 7:37 PM

So I saw on instagram there is the Archer Components D1x, and it can run an XTR derailleur with an eagle cassette. I was thinking if it would be possible to run a sram eagle system with a Shimano derailleur. I have had many thought and questions about it, but I've thought of an answer to all but one.
First off, would the cage be long enough to accommodate an eagle cassette? Obviously so, as it was shown.
Second, would the derailleur swing enough to reach every gear? I think so, (again, it was shown in the video) and sram tightened up the spacing to fit 12 speeds in the space of 11 speeds. As long as a normal Shimano cassette is similar to an eagle cassette, it should work.
Third, would the derailleur actually shift? I think so, bacause the derailleur itself is not indexed. That's where the shifter comes in.
So this is the question where you can help, that I don't know. How much cable does a Shimano shifter pull per upshift and per downshift? In other words, how much cable pull is needed in total for a full cassette travel? If a sram eagle shifter pulls and releases the same amount of cable as a Shimano per shift, it should work. The shifters would pull the same total amount, but the sram would have 12 stops, rather than the 11 on the Shimano. If they have different pulls, this would throw the entire thing off.
I want to know this because I love the feel of stamina shifts and I love eagle, bit on Shimano you can adjust the clutch tension. I want a super tight clutch to minimize chain slap. If you can help, thanks.

|

3/18/2018 8:40 AM

You're right that it's all about how much cable the shifter pulls per shift. I'm not sure of the current situation, but in the past a shimano shifter would not work with a SRAM derailleur and visa versa.

|