Santa Cruz Blur TR Carbon

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 5:05am
Check out this new version of the Blur with slacker, lower angle

From the PR honchos at Santa Cruz:
Our new Blur TRc is almost a spitting image of the old 4x in terms of geometry, but it has 10mm more travel and the frame is about two and a half pounds lighter. Probably stronger too, although we did use VPfree downtubes on the 4x, so i wouldn't want to go head-to-head on that allegation. Anyway, it's the kind of trail bike a hucker could love, and it's the sort of bike that big burly freaks who corner hard with their entire torsos out in front of the bars will absolutely love.

Available in Matte Carbon/Green or Gloss Carbon/Orange

$2699 US MSRP frame with Fox RP23 - Complete bikes from $3799

An entirely new addition to our family, the Blur TRc defines what we think a trail bike should be. Crafted from carbon fiber, featuring our proprietary lay-up process, the frame weighs a scant 5 pounds with shock included. Patented VPP suspension offers 5 inches of travel and combined with the carbon fiber frame, chassis rigidity is second to none. The top tube length and riding position are evolved from our climb-happy xc bikes – a bit more stretched out than on our longer travel rigs – but mated to a relaxed head angle that is sure to make any dedicated gravity fiend weep with joy.

24lbs as pictured here!

Geometry based on 501mm fork axle to crown with 15mm stack height

|
JimEG
3/28/2011 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2011 6:19pm
It really is a miracle - a 23" TT for the medium. I'll take one in each color. WOW.
Phillapuss
3/29/2011 6:39am
Santa Cruz is really shooting themselves in the foot by comparing this bike to the Blur 4X.
3/29/2011 10:39am
Phillapuss wrote:
Santa Cruz is really shooting themselves in the foot by comparing this bike to the Blur 4X.
Oh yeah. I beg to differ. Don't look at the build here and think 4X. I own a 4x and trust me this is what will replace it.
oldmandave
3/30/2011 2:55pm
Lower, longer. Definitely. Slacker? Seems like the same as the BLTc per their website. Looks to me like the HA is the same and the SA is steeper. CS a bit shorter. BB way lower.

No ISCG? Would a dualie guide like a Blackspire stinger with BB mount work on this with that lower pivot?

1lb lighter than the current BLTc? How? Just a more refined design since SC started building in carbon?

SC is onto what we all want - a light, burly bike we can pedal and crush DH/DJ/DS with. More about geo than travel IMHO.

Vital should do an article reviewing what happens to a bike's geo when they put an angleset on it and maybe put one on a few different bikes and actually measure the geo before and after. Of course, when you have nothing better to do and you're just sitting around. . . ;-)
k.shiz
3/30/2011 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2011 4:26pm
I've been sitting around on my ass for 6 days (by which I mean foot touring a new city) but I'd be MORE than happy to angleset one of these and give it a thorough smashing and report back with results.

I've been crying for better geometry over more travel for a while and am glad as hell to see something done about it!

And as for weight, I believe it. The BLTc was their first carbon bike? If so, I'd bet they have learned a whole lot about carbon since then. I'm sure the V-10 and Nomad have both revealed a whole heap about carbon for them and allowed for this new thing to come in as light as it's claimed.
Mbeard
3/30/2011 4:46pm
I think its a good move for Santa Cruz. Descending XC-type trails on a 4x bike is awesome experience! So having the similar geometry would give this bike an excellent feel on the trails.
Big Bird
4/2/2011 10:57am
My question is, why hasn't Santa Cruz ever made a real 4X frame? The old 4X had that long seat tube that always made it look like Jamie Goldman was freestyling an XC bike. Now he'll look like he's freestyling a trail bike. Why bother? I know that it's more profitable to sell one bike to two different markets, but come on, freestylers deserve better.
They need, make that needed, to produce an answer to the Transition Bottlerocket back when it came out. They could have dominated the market, whereas, how many 4X's did they really sell? I think the only ones that I've seen have been under Jamie or his hand me downs under other local riders.

Post a reply to: Santa Cruz Blur TR Carbon

The Latest