Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Sam Hill Won 7 out of 14 Stages at EWS-E Tweed Valley

Related:
Create New Tag

10/1/2021 8:56 AM

After giving up a lot of time in a super techy climbing stage, Sam Hill went on to win 7 out of the 14 stages of the EWS-E Tweed Valley to secure his first podium spot in the discipline. We don't know if Sam plans to do more of these, or whether it might give us an indication that his struggles in the regular EWS series this year could be due to a physical issue (alleviated by an e-bike, conceivably). Anyway, we just wanted to leave this here...

Vittoria EWS-E Tweed Valley saw the series conclude in savage conditions amongst the rain soaked hills of Scotland. Today’s course was the most challenging in EWS-E history, and it was made even harder still by heavy rain overnight that left the Tweed Valley’s notoriously tight and steep trails slicker than ever. The 14 stage course pushed bikes and bodies to the limit as they tackled 3450 metres of climbing across 56 kilometres.

Photo
Nico Vouilloz’s consecutive wins helped Lapierre Overvolt secure the Team Championship

In the men’s competition it was Reece Wilson who took the early lead after loop one in his debut EWS-E, but it was short lived after a crash on the next stage saw him withdraw from the race. From here on in it was series leader Nico Vouilloz (Lapierre Overvolt Team) who was in control of the race. He led the next two loops to cross the line not only the race winner, but also the 2021 EWS-E Champion.

Photo
Sam Hill won 7 of the 14 stages

Behind Vouilloz an intense battle was playing out between his Lapierre Overvolt teammates Kevin Marry and Antoine Rogge for second place. But it was a resurgent Sam Hill (Team Chain Reaction Cycles) that caused the biggest upset of the day in his first EWS-E race - winning seven stages on loops two and three. A time penalty for Rogge resulted in Hill’s efforts being rewarded with a third place finish, just behind Kevin Marry in second.

Photo
Tracy Moseley won every stage of the race

In the women’s race Tracy Moseley was out for revenge - schooling the winner of rounds one and two Laura Charles (Orbea Fox Enduro Team) in the art of mastering mud. Moseley was ruthless in her efficiency, winning every stage convincingly to finish the race with an impressive four minute lead. However it was Laura Charles’ domination at rounds one and two that sealed her fate, as she was crowned the Series Champion in her first season racing the discipline.

Lapierre Overvolt were crowned both Team of the Day and Series Champions after impressive performances all year, with all three of their riders featuring on podiums throughout the season.

The EWS-E returns to the Tweed Valley next year as the opening round of the 2022 season.

|

10/1/2021 10:06 AM

The suggestion of "racing" E-Bikes is absolutely pathetic. GTFO with that bullshit.

|

10/1/2021 10:35 AM

FullSend wrote:

The suggestion of "racing" E-Bikes is absolutely pathetic. GTFO with that bullshit.

“GTFO”? I live here.

|

10/1/2021 11:21 AM

FullSend wrote:

Joined in July of this year, lol...

From my experience with ebike riding and racing it's not really "easier" physically. Although the transfers in an EWS style event would be much less significant on an ebike. So I don't know if the statement made in the opening post regarding Sam potentially racing EWS-e due to physical limitations is plausible. I bet he is doing it because it's fun :-)

|

10/1/2021 12:28 PM

FullSend wrote:

I am so excited when the cheating takes over.

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

10/1/2021 12:40 PM

FullSend wrote:

DJ_Trilliam wrote:

From my experience with ebike riding and racing it's not really "easier" physically. ...more

History would support your suggestion…Sam Hill clearly does race what he thinks is fun. The point I was trying to make is that while the e-racers definitely have to be fit, and do put in a ton of effort during their race, maybe it’s less of grinding out super-tough climbs and more about race speed and general fitness. Any anybody who’s ridden an e-bike
will attest to, they can be a workout but they don’t savagely destroy your legs like a regular bike can do on a grueling alpine climb. All pure speculation on my part, just looking for a possible explanation to his sharp drop-off in performance this year after dominating for 3 seasons prior. His wife posted about “everybody can have an off-year” so that might just be it too.

|

10/1/2021 1:43 PM

I was so happy when I watched Sam get on the podium at the EWSe. He should make this his primary sport. I think he is sensible enough to see all the advantages e bikes offer and will enjoy doing double the amount of stages than the regular race, because after all, it’s all about the downs….

|

Beer, Plants, Bikes, Family

10/1/2021 4:12 PM

iceman2058 wrote:

History would support your suggestion…Sam Hill clearly does race what he thinks is fun. The point I was trying to make is that ...more

There's no doubt Hill is motivated, partially at least, by fun, and anyone who has ridden an ebike can attest that they are definitely a lot of fun. I'm psyched he's going for it.
Regarding his results this season on the regular bike, it seems clear he's not pushing to that wicked edge that winning racers must push to, and that's fine: He won three consecutive titles, let the man chill.

|

10/1/2021 5:46 PM

Anyone ever ask how the ebike training is going Gwin?

|

10/1/2021 9:55 PM

I just can’t do this. I’m not an ebike hater but e racing? Just no. I can’t imagine caring less. Maybe I don’t know enough about it but I can’t imagine wanting to.

|

10/1/2021 10:29 PM

I don’t understand all this hate for ebikes. I don’t own one for the moment but I rented one this summer and I can say that I had a lot of fun. Yes, the engine helps with the climb but you still have to pedal. And the power is the same for all engines…For industry e-bikes segment is gold, I want to ride as long as possible and ebikes are helping us. For all those haters grab an ebike, go out for a ride and get back with feedback. There are a lot of things to improve but keep in mind that we are only on second generation of engines (I might be wrong here)…If Sam wants to ride ebikes let him ride ebikes. The man is still winning, he is definitely looking for fun and ebikes are fun!!!

|

10/1/2021 11:12 PM

Adrien Dailly said it was way more physical than a regular EWS in the last Wyn TV.
Wether that's true or not I do think an EWS E is no joke with it being three loops and 14 stages of racing.
In the end I think it just shows what ebikes excel at compared to mtbs: you can go harder uphill (power stage) and you can simply go longer and farther.

|

10/2/2021 2:41 AM

Man, was not expecting motorcycle content here.

|

10/2/2021 4:01 AM

I’m not sure if Sam is struggling so much as didn’t push hard enough to keep up with the fields gains since the 19 season. He’s older and much deeper into family life with school aged children. Jack has brought the speed up the same way Sam did a few years ago and rude is hungry for a full season of racing and I’m sure is just a tiny bit motivated to leave the doubters in his dust. I’m also unaware of a single race sam did in 2020. Did he do any domestic races like rude had available to him?

|

10/2/2021 4:34 AM

people hating on ebike racing, clearly missing the point its far harder on the body going down on these, the struggle of moving these heavy things around really take its toll.
Saying ebike racing is bs is like saying you hate motor racing because flintstone racing is better.

People who hate on ebikes A: cant afford it, B: jealous, C: already fit and just being arrogant, D: ride lift access and the biggest one E: Refuse to admit ebikers have far more fun when they do 3 x the laps your "analog" bike does, ebikers will also tend to ride their bikes more often.

from someone who sold his ebike to focus on normal biking - im a huge fan of people just wanting to have fun without having to slog themselves.

|

10/2/2021 5:20 AM

Assist or no assist, doing 14 stages sounds pretty damn good to me.

|

10/2/2021 5:39 AM

He wins half the stages, thats pretty cool.

|

10/3/2021 7:42 AM

bizutch wrote:

I am so excited when the cheating takes over.

I don't know how this isn't already a problem. Essentially half the engineering of all motorsports is to find a way around the rules, or a way that now one can tell if you did break rules. It's expected and the norm for a top team.

|

10/3/2021 4:03 PM

FullSend wrote:

DJ_Trilliam wrote:

From my experience with ebike riding and racing it's not really "easier" physically. ...more

iceman2058 wrote:

History would support your suggestion…Sam Hill clearly does race what he thinks is fun. The point I was trying to make is that ...more

You want to read something hilarious, find her comments in the World Enduro's IG story where she rips into Richie Rude for cutting. And this just days after her hubby raced mopeds. She went off

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

10/3/2021 9:18 PM

I have nothing against e-bikes, but the idea of racing them just seems ridiculous.

|

10/3/2021 11:46 PM

piggy wrote:

I just can’t do this. I’m not an ebike hater but e racing? Just no. I can’t imagine caring less. Maybe I don’t know enough ...more

^^^ebike hater

|

10/4/2021 1:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2021 1:49 AM

At least in a race format they can't turn all the fun twisty bits into straight lines like the ebikers on my local trails are doing. I have no problem with the concept of ebikes, but when riders are ruining the trails for the rest of us I can't say I'm a fan. I imagine this is down to the influx of new riders who have gone straight to ebikes and don't get the etiquette. It'd be interesting to hear if this is happening elsewhere.

|

10/4/2021 7:49 AM

Hating on e-bikes is one of the most irrational thing ever. I could understand it when they first came out and caused some trail acces issues in NA, but just hating on them is silly. No one is forcing you to ride one, people riding them don't affect how much fun can be had on a normal bike. E-bike racing probably needs to find the right format, but I'm fine with it as is. Do you'all think it's somehow cheating? On who, other people riding electric bicycles? Is it not hard enough? So it's DH compared to XC or Enduro as well then, or SX compared to MX... I don't even own an e-bike, but jeez, the world is already full of negativity, try and enjoy life.

|

10/4/2021 1:46 PM

veefour wrote:

At least in a race format they can't turn all the fun twisty bits into straight lines like the ebikers on my local trails are ...more

Has nothing to do with ebikes. Morons are morons no matter what they ride. We have guys who will come out and cut in straight lines with tools.

|

10/4/2021 7:05 PM

veefour wrote:

At least in a race format they can't turn all the fun twisty bits into straight lines like the ebikers on my local trails are ...more

Sounds like you're creating a narrative that it could only be eebers and then trying to find others to join in. Youre the guy at the back of the crowd yelling burn the witch bud

|