Riding Solo - Love It or Hate It?

Related:
bturman
Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 7:11pm
It's 5:15 AM. My phone alarm comes to life as the first light of day breaks through the curtains, and I groggily burst out of bed to silence the gentle buzz before it wakes my partner. I stumble to the dresser, haphazardly don my riding gear, pound a shake I'd prepared the night before, stuff a granola bar in my pocket, and toss a leg over my saddle. As I pull my bike from the garage and set foot outside the cool air hits me in the face, and in that moment I feel awake. It's time for an early morning solo ride.

As my tires hit the singletrack I embrace the freedom to go my speed, take the turns I please, push limits on my terms, and focus on nothing but the trail ahead of me. It's addicting, especially when you mix in empty trails, soft light, and perfectly moistened dirt from the morning's dew.

I steer back into the driveway, grinning ear to ear and eyes wide awake. "This is better than coffee," I think to myself, and so begins my day...

For some, the thought of being alone in the woods is a terrifying prospect. Doubts fill our minds and we start to question if it's worth it. What if I crash? Get lost? Ride up on a grizzly? Break something on my bike I don't know how to fix?

Those doubts took me some time to overcome, but I'm glad I did. While riding with friends certainly fills a big need for me, there's something incredibly rewarding about spinning those cranks on my own. Which camp are you in?

{poll:280}
|
6/22/2016 1:33pm
Riding with friends is awesome, fun, and usually delivers that extra adrenaline kick from racing or one-upping each other. My solo rides are my therapy sessions! My absolute favorites are mid-week solo adventures, where I head out on a longer ride, on a mission to ride a trail I do less often or even something completely new. The spirit of adventure and being all alone "out there" help me really get away from it all.
6/22/2016 2:19pm
Normally, I don't really care for riding alone. Mainly for safety reasons. If I eat shit, I am not left to fend for myself. I usually ride more cautiously, and avoid anything that really pushes the comfort zone.

That being said, I usually try to get to the weekly ride early and get in half an hour or more in solo, to warm up and get my head/shit together, plan the route (I frequently lead, which is subject for another topic/rant), make sure any bike issue addressed, etc.
Alternatively, solo riding in a well trafficed trail system does add a measure of safety...no one wants to bleed out in the woods.
owl-x
6/22/2016 2:33pm
Hello.

I voted "love it." Not sure if I do, in fact, love it. But I definitely don't hate it.

Carry on.
liquidSpin
6/22/2016 3:00pm
There should be a 3rd option:

Love both.

There are times when I want to ride with company and other times I don't. Simple as that.
6/22/2016 3:00pm
I have a love/hate relationship with it. Most of the time I love it, but occasionally I miss riding with others. I'm usually the first one on the trail since I work the mid-shift. So by the time I go into work I've ridden more than most people will ride all day.

It's especially nice in the summer, when it's 100F in the afternoon.

The other downfall is cobwebs and spiders, but whatever, I get a little satisfaction knowing I cleared the trail for others that day.

bcram79
6/22/2016 3:06pm
Almost 90% of my rides are solo. With family duties at home getting time away to ride is hard to come by and when the chance presents itself I want to ride...not chat about the latest bike product or pose the bike for another instagram photo.

Don't get me wrong, I love riding with friends those rides usually only occur on weekends when I can get significant time off and the rides are longer than 2 hours! Either way I will always love riding and look forward to riding with my son more often this summer!

6/22/2016 3:09pm
I like solo rides, although I rarely do it lately. For some reason, only when I'm riding solo, I'm hyper vigilant about snakes and every damn stick looks like a rattler to me.
blast_off
6/22/2016 4:47pm
Thinking back this year, 95% of my rides were solo. I usually squeeze an hour and a half in after work, and a longer 2-3 hour ride on the weekends. I have no real fear of being in the woods alone. We have a ton of black bear around here, and some rattlers, copper heads and such. Maybe my thinking would be different if I was in grizzly or mountain lion territory? I've never really been a hugely social person (just a small group of long-time friends). So maybe thats why I ride alone?
Falcon
6/22/2016 5:03pm
I ride solo often, but in a place that attracts lots of other MTBers. It's a rare day that I don't see somebody every 20 minutes or so.
I also love to mix it up with my buddies.
Prophet26
6/22/2016 5:34pm
I ride solo. I also ride at a popular spot so I'm never really alone. Even if I were it's at a popular state Park that itself is not too remote. As has been said riding is my therapy. I love getting lost in the woods for a few hours to just clear my head of all the crap going on at that moment. Also I'm not the fittest or fastest rider out there so I wouldn't want to slow anyone down.
BikeEveryDay
6/22/2016 8:15pm
I like riding park solo just as much as I enjoy riding with others. You get to go on whatever trail you like, stop and hike up to nail a new line you see, and not care about someone being right on your butt the whole time. Riding with others is good though for safety and they can show you new trails, lines, and their unique style of riding that is beneficial to progression.
Eoin
6/23/2016 4:12am
I love riding with 2-3 others around my level, problem is more and more i find those guys invite some less fit or less fast guys, which becomes pretty annoying just because you end up riding less in one outing, and there is always one guy who needs to leave early, or one guy who gets a mechanical etc... Groups of 3-4 is where it is at.

So a few years back I started riding solo a lot, and after 2-3 months got really sick of it. I hate to be that guy, but Strava really saved the solo ride experience for me. I can find new stuff easier, i can put clear goals on both uphill and downhill segments, I can try to compete on duration/elevation totals within a few virtual clubs. It definitely motivates me a whole lot more and makes the rides more fun. Sorry, I know there is a lot for hate for it...
tmano2
6/23/2016 5:21pm
my week rides tend to be most solo rides as i am a uni student and my hours arn't the same as other's, and few of them ride on the week, and end up riding my road bike or home trail's solo,
on weekend's if i can i ride with someone, only if the time is not compatible , because riding 2-4 times solo a week is too much,you miss having someone to push yourself , it loses part of the fun on mtb rides and on rode ones makes the sufering more "easy"
tullie
6/23/2016 6:04pm
Solo or with friends it doesn't matter.

Solo

Big Bird
6/23/2016 6:21pm
I've certainly had some of my best and longest rides solo. Back when I was a younger, healthier man, I used to love to go out and punish myself along an awesome adventure. I've done the Gabrialiano trail from the bottom of Mt. Wilson Toll Rd. more than once. Nothing feels better than a kitchen sink full of hot water for your feet prepared by Mom. It has/had 21 water crossings which weren't so hot over winter break. Group rides were good too, but I usually found myself backtracking to find the stragglers. Herd Dog.

Post a reply to: Riding Solo - Love It or Hate It?

The Latest