Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Rachel Atherton on a Prototype Trek Session at Whistler

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2016 4:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2016 8:25 PM

Since it's a Trek, it looks like a...Trek.
Photo

|

8/16/2016 5:00 PM

Longer and lower CG?

|

8/16/2016 5:27 PM

looks like a fixed lower shock mount?

|

8/16/2016 5:30 PM

rachel is such a boss. I'd be her slave.

|

8/16/2016 5:31 PM

Looks like a session, a slacker lower longer session

|

8/16/2016 5:36 PM

Seat Stay linkage pivots are askew.

|

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

8/16/2016 5:40 PM

Sesame Seed wrote:

Looks like typical trek flip link up top and ABP down low

|

8/16/2016 6:42 PM

Sesame Seed wrote:

connnordoll21 wrote:

Not sure the bottom shock mount is floating anymore. Top seatstay is the normal flip chip, set in low/slack.
Curious to see if gee is on one. Feel like the session isn't long enough for his liking, hasn't looked right all season. Reach is only 6mm shorter stock for stock from an XL session to a large fury. But I recall him being on a custom sized fury also. Aluminum sure is convenient....

|

8/16/2016 11:10 PM

29er? Those 8" rotors look small on that wheel

|

8/16/2016 11:39 PM

Trek is the new Porsche: keep it the same but make it different.

|

8/16/2016 11:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2016 11:56 PM

Roots_rider wrote:

Not sure the bottom shock mount is floating anymore. Top seatstay is the normal flip chip, set in low/slack.
Curious to see if gee is on one. Feel like the session isn't long enough for his liking, hasn't looked right all season. Reach is only 6mm shorter stock for stock from an XL session to a large fury. But I recall him being on a custom sized fury also. Aluminum sure is convenient....

Actually Gee has already a custom frame from Trek. In some interview he was telling that he was actually blown away how fast they had a custom carbon front triangle produced just for him. I can't find it anymore, though.
He's also rocking what seems a different rear end, as he is riding aluminium seatstays. The original frames come with carbon ones.

Photo

|

8/17/2016 12:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2016 3:58 AM

Photo

Hmmm, they seem to just experiment with geometry?! If you compare this frame to the one from Rachel you can see that there are a few added mm to the top tube around the seat tube area.

|

8/17/2016 3:20 AM

looks like 29" up front, and 27.5" back. as many of you won't like: 29" is here to stay!

|

8/17/2016 5:00 AM

Looks like subtle changes to tube shaping and positioning. Looks like they moved the entire seat tube back, altered the downtube to swoop less, increase tube diameters towards the front of the tubes and bottom of the seat tube, and longer seatstays. That or I'm just imagining things... no diff in wheel size.

|

8/17/2016 5:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2016 5:23 AM

Maybe a metric shock?
Or at least a longer one? All of the Session iterations since 2009 use a 222mm long damper.

|

8/17/2016 5:30 AM

LOOKS LIKE THEY ADDED KNOCKBLOCK. cool

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter what changed. Rachel will still be faster than you.

|

8/17/2016 5:31 AM

Looks like there is no bridge between seat stays anymore.

So... stiffer on front-end (bigger tubes) and more permissible on rear-end (no more bridge). Smaller rod (for more progressivity I guess), fixed bottom shock mount...

The comparison with a Porsche 911 seems appropriate wink

|

8/17/2016 8:11 AM

connnordoll21 wrote:

Roots_rider wrote:

Mo(n)arch wrote:

Actually Gee has already a custom frame from Trek. In some interview he was telling that he was actually blown away how fast they had a custom carbon front triangle produced just for him. I can't find it anymore, though.
He's also rocking what seems a different rear end, as he is riding aluminium seatstays. The original frames come with carbon ones.

Photo

Trek produces their own "highend" carbon frames in Wisconsin so getting one out for someone like Gee is that hard for them

|

8/17/2016 11:00 AM

I always struggle when companies aren't consistent...

Canfield bases all their bikes for years on rearward axle path and now designs bike with essentially no rearward travel and now I'm supposed to believe that it's the best thing in the world.

Trek markets Full Floater and then starts deleting it from bikes. Now there's straight shot down tube that I'm expected to believe is the best thing in the world but it's not even incorporated into test mules where straight tubes would just be sooo much easier. Not to mention that straight shot tube make way more sense on a dual crown bike than single crown ones.

I am a sheep.., I'll just follow and not ask questions.

|

8/17/2016 11:16 AM

Maybe they decided to make their bikes a realistic size. Instead of an XL being for someone 5 '10 how about actually being accurate with sizing.

|

8/17/2016 5:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2016 5:10 PM

Looks like the lower eyelet is high above the downtube and very close to the seat tube, generally in the same spot as Full Floater. Could be either fixed or floating, but can't tell from the pic because it's hidden from sight.

My impression is that they're mainly refining the stiffness to weight ratio. They've gone with huge stiffness in the past and leaned down considerably, and now they're sort of beefing it back up where it has more impact and trimming weight where it's not doing much good.

Seat stay bridge trimmed since the stubbier & beefed up rocker has its own bridge in the vicinity. Possibly asymmetric chainstays to save weight. Less clearance behind the shock, with a bulked up the seat tube. They always had a "straight shot" downtube on the Session, and don't need a knockblock, since they expected to always have a dual crown fork on it.

Hard to tell any geo changes. HA has generally settled at 63, BB height usually carefully chosen for max versatility. downtube length might be an indicator of reach, and the space between chainring and rear tire might be an indicator of chainstay length. How far the saddle is behind the BB (tip of nose behind imaginary line drawn straight up) might indicate seat position change. Hard to tell 1 degree or 5mm changes from a pic, especially when it's hard to be sure what size they're on. The various protos could very well each have their own unique changes.

|

8/18/2016 6:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2016 6:53 AM

it looks like a 29er to me...
and asfar as i heard, some other companys will come with 29er DH-bikes in the next 2-3 years...

|

8/18/2016 10:02 AM

It looks like a niner, but I doubt it is. If it were, the 40 would have a section of the arch cut away. Trek is probably just catching up to new long, low, slack bikes.

|

8/18/2016 6:27 PM

wethepeople wrote:

It looks like a niner, but I doubt it is. If it were, the 40 would have a section of the arch cut away. Trek is probably just catching up to new long, low, slack bikes.

Rear sidewall does state "27.5 x 2.5" but that could be misinformation. I am skeptical that it'd be a mixed-wheel bike, but I've been wrong before.

|

Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat.

8/18/2016 6:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2016 6:29 PM

Jakers wrote:

Canfield bases all their bikes for years on rearward axle path and now designs bike with essentially no rearward travel and now I'm supposed to believe that it's the best thing in the world.

Trek markets Full Floater and then starts deleting it from bikes. Now there's straight shot down tube that I'm expected to believe is the best thing in the world but it's not even incorporated into test mules where straight tubes would just be sooo much easier. Not to mention that straight shot tube make way more sense on a dual crown bike than single crown ones.

As I understand it, Full Floater isn't as essential as it once was due to advances in damper technology. As for Canfield, I'm with ya. The handful of bikes I've ridden with such a rearward axle path feel faster to me in choppy/rooty conditions.

|

Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat.

8/19/2016 12:59 AM

Wide angle lens and photographer is closer to the front of the bike than the rear making the front wheel look longer.

The front tyre even on my phone you can make out says 27.5 x just like the rear tyre.

NEXT..........

|

8/22/2016 4:45 AM

Jakers wrote:

Jakers,
We still make the Jedi.
And don't worry, it's not going anywhere.

|

Suspension-Formulas.com
Canfield-Balance-Formula.com

CBF
CF2
Deus-Duece
CF-zero

8/23/2016 9:44 AM

tricklin wrote:

looks like 29" up front, and 27.5" back. as many of you won't like: 29" is here to stay!

29" has been around for like, 13 years+ ?

|