OTF Fork Adjust

7/16/2021 2:39pm
I guess I'm looking for a show of hands.

Do you currently ride a fork that has a quick On-The-Fly Compression adjusting system? If not, do you wish you had that option? Meaning...how many people ride a LSC/HSC fork damper because of bump performance, but also wish you had the ability to put the fork in a firm setting for a long fire road or something?

Or, is that feature just not necessary for your riding?

Thanks,

Darren
|
TayRob
7/16/2021 3:03pm
Personally, I wouldn't necessarily use a feature like that. Most of the climbing I do is at a conversational pace, seated, and is done with in under half an hour. On top of that my bike is dancing at the high thirties, nearly 40 pound mark, so the small gain from a fork firm up probably isn't going to help much overall. Plus, it's just something to remember to flip back before descending.

But, the Hyper Charger upgrade makes a lyrik feel silly good!
JVP
7/16/2021 3:04pm
Don't use one, don't want one. My crew all had something like that at least once over the years, and they're worse than neutral because you inevitably forget to turn them off and wonder why the last 5 minutes of trail was harsh. Marz's ETA was the WORST, it actively tried to kill you. We all used to yell "ETA OFF" before dropping in. Ha! Good memories, those.

With our current "open" forks I never even think about front end bob, even though I will use a rear firmer mode (I hate full lockout) on long smooth climbs. Bike is a Transition Patrol, and rarely do less than 3k climbing on a ride, for context.
chacou
7/16/2021 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2021 3:42pm
Lyrik "Ultimate" here and my HSC/LSC is pretty much set and forget. Similar feedback to what JVP says, I'll firm up the rear shock for climbs (flip to firm on the Super Deluxe RC3 or twist LSC on my DVO Jade up), but I don't really see any need for a "firm" switch on my fork. I do have the DSD Runt and the RS 170mm C1 debonair spring so the fork stays pretty high in it's travel pedaling along on a Capra CF 29" pushing about ~35lbs I'd guess.

Aside, I need to put in an order for some ULF seals from you guys, it's about time for a mid-summer lower service.
7/16/2021 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2021 9:09pm
Hi. I’d be more interested in something that would make the fork stiffer and more progressive to make a fork feel better in steeps and rockgardens and allow me to switchback to a softer more linear setup to get more travel in corners and a plusher feeling on loose but not Jarringly rough sections of trail. I always am sacrificing setup in large sections of trail for a Better setup in the high consequence stuff.

Climbing i feel xc forks are pretty dialed or locked out on xc bikes if you are pushing on tamer stuff. if you are spinning or sprinting your trail/enduro/dh bike I have never had a setup where I experienced hindering amounts of bob in a fork at a reasonable set up. Going up fireroads if I wanted to be fast I wouldn’t take a non xc bike. If I’m gonna bomb dh lets optimize it for that. I’ll handle that short sprint just fine. I’ll spin to top eventually. If a switch will give me time in the chill sections and confidence where it’s gnarly that’s something I want to buy.
Fred_Pop
7/16/2021 10:31pm
I think that is a pretty useless feature on a fork. Mid speed compression would be much more interesting to prevent brake diving.
Primoz
7/18/2021 1:24am
A bit of a weirdo, but on my last 3 bikes (spanning the last 13 years) I had the following gear:
Commencal Meta 5.5 2008: Pike U-turn (the old 20 mm axle Pike of course) and Fox Float RP2
Giant Reign 1 2015: Pike RCT3 DPA and Monarch Plus RC3
Bird Aeris AM0: Lyrik RC2 and Super Deluxe Ultimate

On the Meta flipping the switches and lowering the fork was the standard thing to do on any fairly long climb.
On the Giant, I did the same at first. But through the years of owning the bike, I first stopped lowering the fork (it made the bike feel weird) and then stopped flipping the shock switch.
On the Bird, like chacou said, the dials are set and forget, I do not miss the switch. Furthermore, the switch on the SD is also not used at all. After a PB 'Suspension lockout levers' counterpoint articles I actually tested flipping the switch on a flat fireroad. I hated it. It makes the bike stiff and much more uncomfortable. I think the bike works well enough with the shock open (admittedly the design brief of the bike was 'works with any shock', so the antisquat is fairly well dialed in) and flipping the switch just makes the ride either uncomfortable or makes me forget to switch the mode for the descent. So it's not a 'I guess I don't need the switch or something', I actively do not use it.
chacou
7/19/2021 9:47am
...maybe it'd be something popular with more of a bike packing/trekking/xc crowd though? I can't speak to that part of the sport.
7/27/2021 11:14pm
I’m using Ohlins RXF forks with a pedal platform and use it every ride. We’re not fortunate enough to have just fire roads between trails, we have to use actual roads and sometimes big climbs out of a valley on roads. I love my pedal platform, it makes my 160mm bike much nicer to ride.
7/28/2021 12:43am
I've been on the Formula Selva R with the adjustable lockout and I never touch it except as instructed as part of the setup procedure. I actually looked into removing the lever because sometimes I catch plants with it on overgrown tracks.

On a long pavement climb sometimes I'll remember to lock out the rear (and forget for the downhill) but I never wish for lockout on the fork.
boozed
7/28/2021 7:15pm
It's something I'd use. I'd love it if something like Scott's twinloc (i.e. not a simple on/off lockout) was compatible with Fox's fully adjustable dampers and didn't limit user tuning options to LSR only.
Mr. P
7/29/2021 8:42am
I'll be the weirdo here, I have one on my single speed - the RS hydraulic push button connected to a basic Mission Control damper. I use it all the time. Almost every uphill and definitely when standing and mashing. I've ridden it enough to really feel the efficiency when engaged. So much so I use the "lockouts" on my squishy trail bike. The efficiency is real, regardless of people who say they don't "need" one as the bike pedals so good already (it pedals better locked), but rolling into the downs locked out is also real (but not a big deal with a handlebar mount).

I'm surprised I don't see it more on the Enduro circuit. Standing and mashing a mushy mess is not fast.

So yeah, I would be into it if it does not sacrifice damping in open mode.

But I don't see other riders wanting it.
7/29/2021 11:47am
I just wouldn't bother with it personally. I don't think it brings anything to a fork.
Primoz
7/29/2021 12:15pm
Mr. P wrote:
I'll be the weirdo here, I have one on my single speed - the RS hydraulic push button connected to a basic Mission Control damper. I...
I'll be the weirdo here, I have one on my single speed - the RS hydraulic push button connected to a basic Mission Control damper. I use it all the time. Almost every uphill and definitely when standing and mashing. I've ridden it enough to really feel the efficiency when engaged. So much so I use the "lockouts" on my squishy trail bike. The efficiency is real, regardless of people who say they don't "need" one as the bike pedals so good already (it pedals better locked), but rolling into the downs locked out is also real (but not a big deal with a handlebar mount).

I'm surprised I don't see it more on the Enduro circuit. Standing and mashing a mushy mess is not fast.

So yeah, I would be into it if it does not sacrifice damping in open mode.

But I don't see other riders wanting it.
How much of your stance is connected to the fact you ride a single speed? I suspect a single speed requires a lot more riding out of the saddle, while geared mountain bikes tend to be ridden sat down much more.
mfoga
7/29/2021 12:58pm
I rarely use that even with my Fox 34 either run trail at all times. I actually would rather have the hsc/lsc.
retswen
7/29/2021 3:04pm
I run a DVO Diamond and max out the LSC for my front for my most hated non-technical climbs.

Post a reply to: OTF Fork Adjust

The Latest