New to enduro: who wants to answer some questions??

Create New Tag

7/13/2017 7:32 AM

Hey all, i'm about 1 day away from picking up a new 2016 Trek Remedy 9 and putting my current Top Fuel 9 up for sale. Yup, i'm making the transition from xc to enduro. Don't get me wrong i love xc and i LOVEEEE the top fuel 9, but after doing xc for about a year i've discovered that enduro is more my thing, and I think that has to do with the fact that I am coming from a motocross background. The idea of fast, technical, aggressive, balls out enduro sounds more appealing than xc, which seems more endurance and agility based. With that said, I have some questions about enduro:

- The Trek Remedy 9 seems like an ideal bike for me, because i'm told that it can climb well, descend like a beast, and can handle most if not all riding I throw at it (i'm novice level so I won't be doing anything too crazy for a while). I was also told that this bike can handle most anything, and I can grow with this bike as I get better. Is this bike a good choice for what i'm doing? I considered the slash, but the remedy seems more 'all mountain' and i still wanted a bike that could climb and be a trail cruiser when I wanted it to be.

- For enduro, i've seen a mix of open face and full face helmets. When do you use one vs the other? Even on the pro level, I've seen a mix of both helmets, and for the CES their rules state you must wear full face helmets but Ive seen a ton of race pics where racers have open face. If someone could give a run down on the full face open face dilemma, i'd appreciate it.

-As far as gear goes, I have a smith rover MIPS helmet, 510 hellcat shoes, and I will purchase mtb shorts and kneepads when I get my remedy. Any suggestions on brands or styles for what i'm doing? I know there are tons of styles and companies, but i still thought i'd ask.

-Lastly, I live in San Diego and I do not know many riders because I got into the sport on my own and was not introduced to it by friends or family. Who lives in the area that is down to ride, help a squid like me become a legitimate enduro rider, and maybe grab some beers after a day of riding?? Thanks!

|

7/13/2017 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/13/2017 12:07 PM

Congrats! The switch from the Fuel to Remedy will open up new possibilities for you on the descents (aka the funnest part of MT. You chose well. Consider a 50mm length stem if the bike doesn't already have one for added control.

Unless it's mandated by the race organizer, helmet choice is (obviously) up to you. Opt for the full face in situations where you simply want more protection. Just realize that it's going to be hot while pedaling up the hill.

As for shorts and kneepads, check out some of the reviews we've done:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/category/Riding-Shorts,64
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/category/Knee-Shin-Pads,56

There are also some good bargains to be had on our MTB deals page:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/deals

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

7/13/2017 12:04 PM

bturman wrote:

Congrats! The switch from the Fuel to Remedy will open up new possibilities for you on the descents (aka the funnest part of MT. You chose well. Consider a 50mm length stem if the bike doesn't already have one for added control.

Unless it's mandated by the race organizer, helmet choice is (obviously) up to you. Opt for the full face in situations where you simply want more protection. Just realize that it's going to be hot while pedaling up the hill.

As for shorts and kneepads, check out some of the reviews we've done:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/category/Riding-Shorts,64
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/category/Knee-Shin-Pads,56

There are also some good bargains to be had on our MTB deals page:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/deals

awesome man, thank you for the help!! P.S. jealous you live in CO!!

|

7/13/2017 1:39 PM

You bet. Be sure to check this thread as well for advice to another moto guy turned mtb rider: http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Lost-Newb,9745

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

7/13/2017 3:07 PM

bmelz124 wrote:

Hey all, i'm about 1 day away from picking up a new 2016 Trek Remedy 9 and putting my current Top Fuel 9 up for sale. Yup, i'm making the transition from xc to enduro. Don't get me wrong i love xc and i LOVEEEE the top fuel 9, but after doing xc for about a year i've discovered that enduro is more my thing, and I think that has to do with the fact that I am coming from a motocross background. The idea of fast, technical, aggressive, balls out enduro sounds more appealing than xc, which seems more endurance and agility based. With that said, I have some questions about enduro:

- The Trek Remedy 9 seems like an ideal bike for me, because i'm told that it can climb well, descend like a beast, and can handle most if not all riding I throw at it (i'm novice level so I won't be doing anything too crazy for a while). I was also told that this bike can handle most anything, and I can grow with this bike as I get better. Is this bike a good choice for what i'm doing? I considered the slash, but the remedy seems more 'all mountain' and i still wanted a bike that could climb and be a trail cruiser when I wanted it to be.

- For enduro, i've seen a mix of open face and full face helmets. When do you use one vs the other? Even on the pro level, I've seen a mix of both helmets, and for the CES their rules state you must wear full face helmets but Ive seen a ton of race pics where racers have open face. If someone could give a run down on the full face open face dilemma, i'd appreciate it.

-As far as gear goes, I have a smith rover MIPS helmet, 510 hellcat shoes, and I will purchase mtb shorts and kneepads when I get my remedy. Any suggestions on brands or styles for what i'm doing? I know there are tons of styles and companies, but i still thought i'd ask.

-Lastly, I live in San Diego and I do not know many riders because I got into the sport on my own and was not introduced to it by friends or family. Who lives in the area that is down to ride, help a squid like me become a legitimate enduro rider, and maybe grab some beers after a day of riding?? Thanks!

Welcome to the world of Enduro / All mountain riding, it sounds like you have it sorted. The only change I'd look into is the Remedy 9, specifically the year, as the 2017 9 RSL (or even 8) may suite you better then the 2016 9 if price isn't an issue. I very much enjoyed test riding the current version Remedy 8, the mix of increased stiffness and slacker headangle make the bike much more AM capable while still being suprisingly smooth and friendly to ride.

For full face helmet, wear it either during races, during DH shuttle runs, or when you're really pushing your limits. If I use it trail riding (which is rare) I use a half shell for transitions between descents, keeping the full face strapped to my pack. While everyone is different I would always recommend knee guards, most are very comfy to wear but will save you a lot of grief during even minor spills.

|

7/13/2017 3:11 PM

nickb01 wrote:

Welcome to the world of Enduro / All mountain riding, it sounds like you have it sorted. The only change I'd look into is the Remedy 9, specifically the year, as the 2017 9 RSL (or even 8) may suite you better then the 2016 9 if price isn't an issue. I very much enjoyed test riding the current version Remedy 8, the mix of increased stiffness and slacker headangle make the bike much more AM capable while still being suprisingly smooth and friendly to ride.

For full face helmet, wear it either during races, during DH shuttle runs, or when you're really pushing your limits. If I use it trail riding (which is rare) I use a half shell for transitions between descents, keeping the full face strapped to my pack. While everyone is different I would always recommend knee guards, most are very comfy to wear but will save you a lot of grief during even minor spills.

Thanks man, but yea the only reason im doing a '16 remedy is because I am getting a pretty fat discount. If price wasnt the reason I would do the '17 no doubt!

|

7/13/2017 4:43 PM

As for helmets, I'm not a Fox guy, but you might be interested in this:

https://www.foxracing.com/us/mtb/proframe

|

7/15/2017 11:54 AM

I'm in San Diego, would be happy to go enduro bro with you for a day or two. I'm also a total gear nerd so I may be able to answer questions about bikes, tires, helmets, pads, whatever

|

7/16/2017 5:15 AM

rpearce1475 wrote:

I'm in San Diego, would be happy to go enduro bro with you for a day or two. I'm also a total gear nerd so I may be able to answer questions about bikes, tires, helmets, pads, whatever

Cool man i appreciate that, what spots do you normally ride?

|

7/16/2017 10:18 AM

I'm all over the place. Usually North County if I want to keep it more local, also PQ and Cowles. Can't beat Noble though

|