Maxim Magazine Calls New Harley Davidson Concept E-Moto a Pedal-less Bicycle

Related:
sspomer
Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 12:30am
The title of recent Maxim article reads, "Harley-Davidson Unleashes 2 New Electric Mountain Bike Concepts". I had to click because the obviously electric motorcycle in the thumbnail was called a "mountain bike" by a major media outlet.

As I read the article I found the following lines: "To go along with Harley-Davidson's first-ever electric motorcycle, the Milwaukee-based chopper brand has created a striking pair of electric bike concepts for CES. We're talking pedal-less bicycles. The first has knobby tires and an inverted fork suspension presumably designed for trail riding."

Now, if you're a motorcycle fan with no idea that an actual mountain bike or bicycle needs to have pedals, I can understand the confusion. You probably see the bicycle-sized tires and wheels and think "oh, that's a bicycle." Except the pictured lightweight electric dirt bike (moto) doesn't have pedals (which they clearly deciphered with their "pedal-less" mention) and there's no human-powered propulsion involved with the pictured machines. It's not a bicycle. I also thought it was rich that they called the other scooter in the article a "minimalist moped." Without pedals, it's just a Mo.

This point of confusion contention is nothing new, but when headlines call a motorcycle a bicycle, it's a whacky, wild world out there!

At least the beast has a Minion DHF front tire so the helmet-less-Harley-Davidson-Ford-F150-colab-driving-e-pedal-less-bike riders on the trail will have good traction up front.

read it here
https://www.maxim.com/rides/harley-davidson-electric-bikes-2019-1

|
dirt lover
1/16/2019 2:27pm
Considering how land access is already an issue for ebikes this definitely isn’t helpful
Falcon
1/16/2019 3:44pm
Hmmm. I'm with you, OP. However, by the purest and most etymologically-correct definition, "bicycle" = "two circles."
Maybe that's what they were going for, since that thing doesn't really fit into a category?
1/16/2019 11:25pm
I don't have an issue with pedal assist ebikes... But, a pedaless Ebike is an electric motorcycle. That seems like an attempt to get around standards that a motorcycle would have to meet...

Call it what it is...
T279
1/17/2019 11:40am
dirt lover wrote:
Considering how land access is already an issue for ebikes this definitely isn’t helpful
Exactly what I was thinking
jtm12090
1/17/2019 12:22pm
Falcon wrote:
Hmmm. I'm with you, OP. However, by the purest and most etymologically-correct definition, "bicycle" = "two circles." Maybe that's what they were going for, since that...
Hmmm. I'm with you, OP. However, by the purest and most etymologically-correct definition, "bicycle" = "two circles."
Maybe that's what they were going for, since that thing doesn't really fit into a category?
Websters says that a bicycle, by definition, must have pedals by which it is propelled. Bicycle itself is a unique word, adding the prefix Bi to the different word cycle and assuming it is the same thing is just ignorant, that is the whole point.
Dave_Camp
1/17/2019 12:51pm
it's a Harley... you'll only ever see it parked outside a bar (ie not on the trails).

1/17/2019 1:04pm
Falcon wrote:
Hmmm. I'm with you, OP. However, by the purest and most etymologically-correct definition, "bicycle" = "two circles." Maybe that's what they were going for, since that...
It fits clear and cleanly into a category that is Motorcycle
Its no different than a CX, XC, DH, or Road and banana seat style of bike. They are all still bicycles.
Small or big, Electric or gas a motorcycle is still a motorcycle until it has pedals as its primary form of power
The real conversation for the future is getting a sepertation made between pedal assist, and throttle assist Bicycles
unskilled
1/17/2019 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 1:06pm
Let's be honest, they did a great job on that scooter up until they took a huge dump and molded it into perhaps the least interesting set of handlebars possible.
1/17/2019 1:24pm
My take on "e-bikes" is that it you might as well call it pedal assist motorbike. There is a motor in place. The lines between the motorbike above and so-called e-bikes will continue to get blurred and will create massive issues for the real cyclist in the future as far as all trail access. In Norway, where I'm from, we have what you will call "freedom to roam". you find this in some other countries as well. A rule that basically allows me to move wherever I want in nature. Today I can do that on mountainbike, I fear that people on pedal assisted motorbikes will mess up this in the future.
Falcon
1/17/2019 1:34pm
Falcon wrote:
It fits clear and cleanly into a category that is Motorcycle Its no different than a CX, XC, DH, or Road and banana seat style of...
It fits clear and cleanly into a category that is Motorcycle
Its no different than a CX, XC, DH, or Road and banana seat style of bike. They are all still bicycles.
Small or big, Electric or gas a motorcycle is still a motorcycle until it has pedals as its primary form of power
The real conversation for the future is getting a sepertation made between pedal assist, and throttle assist Bicycles
You have a point there. But let's not forget that most motorcyclists call their machines "bikes," and HD may have been alluding to that when they call it a Mountain "Bike."

Still, all ridiculous stretching of logic aside, it's a motorcycle. Like I said at the outset, I'm with the OP on this one.
T-Dawg
1/17/2019 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 2:12pm
Coming to poach a trail near you.........at least they'll be quiet Unsure

1/17/2019 2:12pm
I love riding motorcycles. But e-bikes, and whatever the F that Harley turd is . . . this is all gonna be really bad for real, NON-MOTORIZED, mountain bikes access.

Maybe we, as MTB'ers, should be a little more aggressively against this e-whatever-cycle-thing trend and actively work to keep them off of non-motorized trails.

. . . .More E-Bike Shaming!!!!
1/17/2019 8:56pm
I've owned some eMTB's, i've had some fun on them...my boss is a full time eMTB guy but im ok with it because he is loving riding again (shattered his hip 4 yrs ago), my boss is also an industry legend (Troy Lee), so i've grown to be ok with the class 1 bikes (assist) but this shit really bothers me=the blurring of the lines. Ah well, the debate will rage on eh?
bman33
1/17/2019 10:42pm
This whole thing is going to turn into a mess (motorcycle brands making "bicycles").
Agree. That said, turn of the century, most motorcycle brands started out making bicycles. The early motorcycles where just bikes with motors grafted on somehow. Seems we have come full circle.
grambo
1/17/2019 11:26pm
I assume this is the point where all the ebike owners will form advocacy groups and help defend trail access for mtb's and stop just riding coat tails... right? Right guys?
Jonzilla
1/18/2019 1:05am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2019 1:08am
firstly.... LOL

What I'm wondering is the top speed of this thing? I see the DH shock fork an MTB wheels/tyres an I'm wondering if the top speed of this is going beyond what the bike parts are designed to work at? I mean like long term sustained top speed..
like most DH stuff must be safe at 25-35mph even up to 40mph for short periods but the long,sustained use on this bike at 40mph an higher (I'm guessing) must put the bike parts at stresses they're not rated to work at??

Just a thought....

OH, an debating over the semantics of the meaning of the word bicycle is just laaaaaaaaaame
bokCZ
1/18/2019 2:22am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2019 2:24am
it looks like it is very much inspired by the Audi e-bike concept (which has been developed and designed in cooperation with EWS rider Milan Cizinsky) showed in 2012 v video here

and yes, it manuals itself
GA902
1/18/2019 5:02am
I'm really curious of the backstory. Harley invested in Alta motorcycles a few years back and then pulled out. Was this the compromise of not being able to produce an electric motocross bike of their own? Was this their plan the whole time? Seems strange if it was
MatadorCE
1/18/2019 7:28am
The most shocking info for me was to find out that Maxim magazine still exists.
bturman
2/4/2019 10:00am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2019 10:08am
Here is footage of the Harley up close and in action under freestyle MX rider Jackson Strong:

Harley is a sponsor of the Winter X Games and used the event and TV coverage to promote their new lineup through various activations.

They've got it equipped with Shimano Zee disc brakes, a Deity direct-mount stem, blacked-out Maxxis tires, and what is likely a Manitou Dorado up front.

The Harley PR guy is quick to add in "mountain bike" when describing it. Clearly, they are looking to make this appeal to a wider audience.

In a zigwheels.com article, the writer states: "Its off-road themed underpinnings and the convenience of an electric powertrain will be ideal not only for the urban environment but also for the occasional trail run."

The writer goes on, "At 14:55, Jackson Strong, an X Games gold medalist and motocross rider, takes the bike for a spin. And it seems like he’s having quite a blast with the bike thanks to its high ground clearance, inverted front forks and rear monoshock setup. They seem to work well on uneven terrain."

At the top of the article are the following bullet points. No doubt also heavily influenced by PR material:

- "The two models are scheduled to go on sale by 2022."
- "The electric scooter looks very utilitarian."
- "The electric mountain bike has a more rugged design language."
- "Both get a removable lithium-ion battery and don’t require a licence to ride either."

If continued, I think it's safe to say that Harley Davidson's marketing direction and dollars may lead to trail access issues for all preexisting two-wheeled groups. I'm all for dirt bikes and own one myself, but their push needs to be transparent with regard to where these things can legally be ridden.
sspomer
2/4/2019 10:16am
harley marketing guy, "maybe we got to a place where, like, in the city we've got bike parks..." - uh, we have those already.
erik saunders
2/4/2019 10:37am
sspomer wrote:
harley marketing guy, "maybe we got to a place where, like, in the city we've got bike parks..." - uh, we have those already.
I get that this is maybe not the popular view, but as a person in touch with the supplier side of the industry I am nodding my head acceptingly... bicycles are real... its about to blow up... we are in a new era...
jeff.brines
2/4/2019 10:40am
Just wanted to ask where I can get a set of those boots?
sspomer
2/4/2019 10:48am
sspomer wrote:
I get that this is maybe not the popular view, but as a person in touch with the supplier side of the industry I am nodding...
I get that this is maybe not the popular view, but as a person in touch with the supplier side of the industry I am nodding my head acceptingly... bicycles are real... its about to blow up... we are in a new era...
i have no doubt electric motos and scooters are going to blow up. it's inevitable. this weekend i saw a 6 year old ripping around the running track at an elementary school on what looked like an "e-strider". he was prob going 15mph, almost swapping out over and over. it was hilarious and frightening to watch.

i just think harley isn't making a distinction between bicycle (pedals and some kind of human power involved)) and motorcycle (pegs and throttle). the bike park comment seems ignorant to the market because he doesn't realize there are bike parks in urban areas already...for pedal bikes.

Post a reply to: Maxim Magazine Calls New Harley Davidson Concept E-Moto a Pedal-less Bicycle

The Latest