Les Gets Road Gap Carnage : (

7/3/2021 3:47pm
As above, Nina Hoffman had a gnarly crash off the road gap , seems she was lucky it was "only" a broken collarbone... That gap, in...
As above, Nina Hoffman had a gnarly crash off the road gap , seems she was lucky it was "only" a broken collarbone...

That gap, in a race run, did not work.
Aksel_Lfft wrote:
But it did in the end, didn't it? Has anyone heard of crashes/close calls during the race run on that road gap? No sarcasm here, just...
But it did in the end, didn't it? Has anyone heard of crashes/close calls during the race run on that road gap? No sarcasm here, just genuine question.

I really don’t see how you are possibly still defending these course features. Nobody cares about the size it’s that they are janky and don’t belong on a race course. Lost half the top women to les gets including Rachel who’s the goat. the only male racer who wasn’t conservative with creek gap paid the price. Gap could’ve been way more straightforward and gave better racing to finish had the takeoff just not been shit.

Amazing race weekend brought down not up because of some really poor decisions regarding these features. There were simple and do able solutions that in no way would’ve made the course any less awesome.
Big Bird
7/3/2021 4:12pm
As above, Nina Hoffman had a gnarly crash off the road gap , seems she was lucky it was "only" a broken collarbone... That gap, in...
As above, Nina Hoffman had a gnarly crash off the road gap , seems she was lucky it was "only" a broken collarbone...

That gap, in a race run, did not work.
And if I'm not mistaken she didn't even hit it. She was just trying to ride down it instead of taking the B line.
sspomer
7/3/2021 4:39pm
Holy fuck how did Reece walk away from that.

sspomer wrote:
f that jump too. that was unbelievable he walked away. his head took some blows.
8 hours after the race and getting over the visual disbelief of Reece's crash, i retract my "f that jump too." statement about the river gap. Re-watching other riders, it seemed manageable, if not smooth, for the majority riders. i was just reacting to the stroke/heart attack caused by reece's crash.
7/3/2021 5:16pm
Holy fuck how did Reece walk away from that.

sspomer wrote:
f that jump too. that was unbelievable he walked away. his head took some blows.
sspomer wrote:
8 hours after the race and getting over the visual disbelief of Reece's crash, i retract my "f that jump too." statement about the river gap...
8 hours after the race and getting over the visual disbelief of Reece's crash, i retract my "f that jump too." statement about the river gap. Re-watching other riders, it seemed manageable, if not smooth, for the majority riders. i was just reacting to the stroke/heart attack caused by reece's crash.
Had the takeoff been world class instead of “manageable” it would’ve been better in wet. Had the entire field had thunderstorms and pushed for win in bad conditions it would’ve been carnage or a lot of guys being ultra conservative.

Ultimately what happened to Reece can happen anywhere on a wc dh course when guys ride like how they do. But I rather not see it on a man made jump that could’ve easily been made better.
Jopkins
7/3/2021 9:25pm
sspomer wrote:
isak leivsson is gnarly. homemade downhill bike, very little world cup experience. he cracked his bike and had to find a welder in order to race...
isak leivsson is gnarly. homemade downhill bike, very little world cup experience. he cracked his bike and had to find a welder in order to race. marshy lent him a welder and today isak qualified 39th. freaking EPIC!

Why the fk do i want to see this on instagram, im on this webpg?
brash
7/4/2021 3:12pm
the line Reece took into the river gap was a lot straighter it looked like, he was hauling ass into the jump. Was almost like the G out of hitting the take off so hard bucked him forward or something!
brash
7/4/2021 4:16pm
Also a massive well done to Eliot Jackson, he was excellent in the commentary booth. Tracey Hannah was also much better this week, I like where it's going.
7/4/2021 6:33pm
brash wrote:
the line Reece took into the river gap was a lot straighter it looked like, he was hauling ass into the jump. Was almost like the...
the line Reece took into the river gap was a lot straighter it looked like, he was hauling ass into the jump. Was almost like the G out of hitting the take off so hard bucked him forward or something!
The log on lip tire tapped his back wheel when he hit the jump fully compressed as the dirt got soft from blocking all the rain that was coming down that chute.

He was trying the Danny Mac tire tap flip but wasn’t planning on doing so.
Big Bird
7/4/2021 6:49pm
The log on lip tire tapped his back wheel when he hit the jump fully compressed as the dirt got soft from blocking all the rain...
The log on lip tire tapped his back wheel when he hit the jump fully compressed as the dirt got soft from blocking all the rain that was coming down that chute.

He was trying the Danny Mac tire tap flip but wasn’t planning on doing so.
If he had tucked foreword and ridden it out for the win we would have all had to shut up and go home and never expect better. So for that I'm glad that he crashed and even more glad that he's not terribly hurt. Thank him for taking one for the team and saving our sport!
7/4/2021 7:33pm
brash wrote:
the line Reece took into the river gap was a lot straighter it looked like, he was hauling ass into the jump. Was almost like the...
He said in a post-race interview his bum hit the back wheel on the lip so it was all over red rover. Thank god he is okay. The man in a maniac going brakeless into that jump!
metadave
7/4/2021 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2021 9:14pm
brash wrote:
Also a massive well done to Eliot Jackson, he was excellent in the commentary booth. Tracey Hannah was also much better this week, I like where...
Also a massive well done to Eliot Jackson, he was excellent in the commentary booth. Tracey Hannah was also much better this week, I like where it's going.
I agree, they were great. Not that i don't like Claudio, hes been amazing the last few years, but I do find some compatibility issues between him and Rob from time to time. Eliot and Tracey both had a bit more "In the trenches" Insight on the racers and racing which really added to it.

I did miss Claudio`s WHWWOOOOOWWWWWOOWWWW's however

7/4/2021 11:11pm
Regardless if the jumps where WC-worthy or not. Is there even a protocol how to deal with a bad/deteriorating course?
I mean like in ski-racing, if the weather is bad, visibility poor, accidents happening with long delays, races have been canceld midrace or stopped but still counted when a specific amount of riders came down (30 I belief).
I´m not a rulebook-expert but I don´t think these protocols are in place.

I think Reece´s run is a perfect example - he still wanted to win and was ready to put anything on the line - when something beyond the influence of us meets a pure racers mind. But wheres the technical delegate who makes the dificult decision to call it a day and save the racers from themselfes?

I also don´t think that organizers would have the capability to rebuild a coursefeature in between first day of training and qualifying, because they aren´t prepared for that. From what I remeber though, Leogang reshaped that finish line jump after Remi´s crash.
Hopefully there are some discussions going on behind the curtains
yahmon
7/5/2021 5:49am
styriabeef wrote:
Regardless if the jumps where WC-worthy or not. Is there even a protocol how to deal with a bad/deteriorating course? I mean like in ski-racing, if...
Regardless if the jumps where WC-worthy or not. Is there even a protocol how to deal with a bad/deteriorating course?
I mean like in ski-racing, if the weather is bad, visibility poor, accidents happening with long delays, races have been canceld midrace or stopped but still counted when a specific amount of riders came down (30 I belief).
I´m not a rulebook-expert but I don´t think these protocols are in place.

I think Reece´s run is a perfect example - he still wanted to win and was ready to put anything on the line - when something beyond the influence of us meets a pure racers mind. But wheres the technical delegate who makes the dificult decision to call it a day and save the racers from themselfes?

I also don´t think that organizers would have the capability to rebuild a coursefeature in between first day of training and qualifying, because they aren´t prepared for that. From what I remeber though, Leogang reshaped that finish line jump after Remi´s crash.
Hopefully there are some discussions going on behind the curtains
I’m beginning to think that having a day scheduled for a rain delay would make a lot of sense. With natural, fresh cut tracks being preferred by the riders, but not faring well in the wet and not presenting fair racing in changing conditions, it seems to make sense that allowing a storm to pass before racing would make sense. That way, even if the track is a mess it’s a mess for everyone instead of only the top 20 men. And if there is a separate day that the race can be delayed to, maybe the track can even dry back out a bit before the races.

It seems like we all want to see tracks like this Les Gets track and the new Leogang, but would prefer to see racing under fairer conditions.
Salespunk
7/6/2021 8:09am
A rain delay of a full day would be difficult to implement. There are a ton of logistics if races are on back to back weekends, viewership would be impacted, etc.

I think it would make more sense to reverse the start order (fastest first) if there is a decent chance of weather impacting course conditions. Qualifying fastest is intended to give those riders the most advantage. Either reverse the order or allow the riders to choose their start position. Pretty simple fix.

Post a reply to: Les Gets Road Gap Carnage : (

The Latest