Kryptonite / Bikerevolution introduce bike theft recovery system

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2010 1:10 PM

This is pretty cool. Kryptonite has created a clever mobile / social solution to help recover stolen bikes.

Basically you register your bike here and get a sticker to put on your bike. Anyone with a smart phone can then scan your bike and determine who it belongs to and if it's lost or stolen.

Count me in (x4 bikes).

More info: http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/KryptoniteBikeRevolution.aspx

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

11/10/2010 1:17 PM

Definitely a cool option, but what prevents the thief from just pulling the stickers? That said, I am in support of this, stop bike thieves!

|

11/10/2010 1:22 PM

Supposedly they are tamper resistant. Super sticky maybe? Not sure, but simply having them could be a theft deterrent, and many thieves might completely overlook them.

|

11/10/2010 1:26 PM

I kinda figured something like that, they dont mess around with protecting bikes, so thats awesome. I musta missed that when I skimmed the article. This is sick

|

11/10/2010 1:53 PM

heck yes! this is rad and a step into the future.

|

11/10/2010 3:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2010 3:01 PM

Next option, a small chip that can be put into the bb shell or something that connects to your smart phone and has a GPS piece, it tracks location, mileage, altitude... lead you directly to your stolen bike? Crap, I should have patented that prior to posting it on the interwebs, I'd make a million bucks

|

11/10/2010 3:27 PM

Lots of problems with the on board gps. The #1 issue? They need to have a power source, which means plugging your bike into a wall socket every night or swapping batteries regularly.

|

11/10/2010 3:41 PM

bturman wrote:

Lots of problems with the on board gps. The #1 issue? They need to have a power source, which means plugging your bike into a wall socket every night or swapping batteries regularly.

Solar! Certainly lots of potential problems, but could work pretty sweet

|

11/10/2010 3:58 PM

One of the shops I worked for had their shop sticker that would peel off in layers. By the time someone got down 3 layers they usually just gave up. Certainly you could get it off but that is pretty cool!

Solar! What do you live in Boulder?...er, wait. Sorry Nick.

|

Lance

11/10/2010 5:13 PM

what if you make it like the micro chips that vets put in dogs, they dont need power

|

11/10/2010 5:23 PM

like the idea, anything to stop bike thieves, they suck the most, hidden gps would be as good as the scanner sticker i think, as long as it is hard to remove/hidden so it won't be

|

yay

11/10/2010 10:17 PM

nmullen25 wrote:

what if you make it like the micro chips that vets put in dogs, they dont need power

I *think* those are just like the sticker - not made for tracking like a gps but more as an information carrier. The downside? You'd need a special RFID chip reader, rather than any old smart phone.

|