Helmet suggestions

Spade
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 3:11am
I’m a design intern at Pro-Tec looking for suggestions on how protective gear (helmets/pads) can be improved.

I'd appreciate it if you could leave some quick comments on your gear- or anything you want to see in future gear.

1 Do you own / wear protective gear (Helmet/ pads/ protectors)
2 What brand/ model?
3 Why did you choose it?
4 What do you like about it?
5 What problems have you noticed about it?
6 Have you injured yourself with or without the gear, what did you injure?

What comes to mind when you hear Pro-Tec? Anything you associate the brand with?

Thanks for your help.

|
1/25/2010 7:52pm
Hey, please let me know if they are looking for any other interns. I am an industrial design student looking for a job just like this. I am currently living right outside of LA.

1. YES
2. Troy Lee, Pro-Tec, Fox
3. price, quality, looks, fit, protection
4. i love the looks of the D2, the pro tec classic helmet is cheap and fits low like i like it, the fox leg guards are really protective and last a long time
5. the fox pads stink like hell and rub near the ankle, the pro tec helmet top pad came out, the troy lee d2 is expensive and the strap hardens and is impossible to loosen
6. scraped knees and elbows, minor concussions

when i hear pro-tec i think old school...my first bmx helmet was a pro tec in 1988. they make a quality product that stands the test of time.
Simcik
1/26/2010 9:51am
1 Yes
2 TLD, Pro-Tec, TSG
3 Fit, price, appearence, weight
4 Fit, appearence, protection, weight, certifications (I typically ride in a Moto helmet)
5 I will agree with Shawn, the TLD strap hardens, helmet pads and all pads hold too much moisture and smell
6 Cuts, broken elbow, concussion, compressed disc, broken heel (twice)

When I think of Pro-Tec I primarily think of half shell, skate and BMX helmets. I havent seen enough of the stuff on the shelves beyond that to check out.
gmark
1/26/2010 3:05pm
1 Yes
2 Giro remedy, Thor (great kneepads), Sette, Leatt
3 Price, protection, comfort
4 the thor kneepads feel very secure and seem like they help protect against acl tears, Giro helmet looks good with goggles, Sette armor was cheap and does the job ( also fits comfortably with leatt brace)
5 Giro helmet gets really hot in the summer, velcro on thor chafes so I had to duct tape parts of the straps to prevent it,
6 fractured wrist, fractured tailbone (padded pants should go higher to provide more tailbone protection), minor concussion biking, grade 3 concussion snowboarding

When I think of Pro-Tec I think half shell and skate helmet. I usually don't associate it with biking, although my local bike shop has started carrying pro-tec fullface helmets. Otherwise, I had no idea they made fullface helmets.
1/26/2010 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:18am
I ride a Troy Lee half head 2009. Better protection than the ProTec Oldschool I was running. I got a concussion on a slow low consequence wreck got a new helmet that day. Price is not an object with brain injuries.
When it comes to protection nothing beats a full face DOT helmet. I have an Answer Rockstar looking one. I love full face for actual crashes- you just get up as if nothing happened.

I like the visibility of a half head. I want the protection of a full face!

Build something half head with a Lexan clear vision full face attachment. I'd buy that as long as the face guard let me see my front wheel and bars. Protec use to build a full face with a bolt on face guard. Well take something similar to that and go to the next level and put a clear face guard on it, the trick will be building it so that there is no drastic image distortion. You might check with a company like Ridell to see what they are using in production for a football helment with a similar application. Maybe put A/C in there to for good measure! Good Luck with your intership.

bturman
1/27/2010 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:18am
"Build something half head with a Lexan clear vision full face attachment. I'd buy that as long as the face guard let me see my front wheel and bars." - CP

Like so? Smile
1/28/2010 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:18am
OK you could get that from the description if you had never worn a full face. Good job
Tell me thats not a decent idea... really
picture a troylee half head with the addition of the face piece as a bolt on rather than a hard hat with a splash guard. It would for sure work as both football and hockey produce face guards like this for competition and definitely more contact than riding or racing a two wheeler. However I wouldn't advise using it over the eyes. Lexan Polycarbonate scratches and everyone like goggles.

Post a reply to: Helmet suggestions

The Latest