Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Grizzly Bear Kills Mountain Biker in Montana

Related:
Create New Tag

6/30/2016 8:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2016 9:00 AM

Sad news reported from Montana with the loss of a fellow mountain biker. Brad Treat, was mauled by a grizzly bear on a trail outside Glacier National Park. He was with another rider when they apparently surprised the bear. It attacked Treat and the other rider went to get help. Unfortunately, Treat passed away from the injuries sustained during the attack. He grew up in the area, was familiar with his surroundings and was a member of local law enforcement.

Vital sends condolences to his friends and family. Rest in peace, Brad.

You can see the full article here http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/30/sheriff-grizzly-kills-person-near-glacier-national-park.html

Photo

Be careful out there.

|

6/30/2016 8:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2016 8:58 AM

Awful. Considering I frequent griz terrain this has me a bit scared. Always thought the bike + rider would be enough to usually keep them away. Guess I'm wrong. Maybe I start packing!? (kidding...mostly)

|

6/30/2016 9:03 AM

R.I.P. brother

|

6/30/2016 9:32 AM

jeff.brines wrote:

Awful. Considering I frequent griz terrain this has me a bit scared. Always thought the bike + rider would be enough to usually keep them away. Guess I'm wrong. Maybe I start packing!? (kidding...mostly)

Bear spray on the bottle mount. It saved Vito's ass when that mtn. lion charged him at the game creek trailhead! Buddy Alan does actually roll with a chest mounted 9mm for a lot of rides outside of cache and on the pass. Arguments over the efficacy of both but I've generally got a can of spray on my pack waist belt if I'm solo and anywhere put of the more populated areas.

|

6/30/2016 11:26 AM

Sad.

I was just in Montana riding and the bike shop guys said they always carry bear spray for bears and moose. I'm very surprised neither was carrying it.

|

6/30/2016 2:23 PM

Gotta have a jingle bell on when in Grizzly territory.
Don't want to surprise them!

|

6/30/2016 8:39 PM

It's surprising that it doesn't happen more often really. Bikes are usually cruising pretty quick, easy to sneak up on wildlife. I was actually just in the middle of trying to figure out how to bottle mount a can of bear spray on my bike. I'm still trying to sort out the best way to shield the can so I don't use it on myself by accident... I think I'll keep a mini air horn in pack now too. This story is going to keep me on track and get it done.

|

6/30/2016 9:57 PM

I just found this handy bottle, good idea, I'm getting one:
Photo

|