Grips Question

Related:
GA902
Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 1:38am
Anyone use non lock on grips? Thinking about ditching mine to get better feeling. Theory being, lock on grips eliminates bar flex under the grip and create a more rigid feeling. If you've made the change, what do you think and what do you run?
|
Braston
12/20/2018 7:48am
GA902 wrote:
Anyone use non lock on grips? Thinking about ditching mine to get better feeling. Theory being, lock on grips eliminates bar flex under the grip and...
Anyone use non lock on grips? Thinking about ditching mine to get better feeling. Theory being, lock on grips eliminates bar flex under the grip and create a more rigid feeling. If you've made the change, what do you think and what do you run?
Went from several types of lock-ons (ergons, deathgrips, diety knuckledusters, ruffians) to Renthal Ultra Tacky Pushon grips this summer to try and address a nagging nerve issue in my elbow/shoulder/hands.

presto-chango its magic. With most controls being split clamp now days I found it had little negatives to try, but wow it made a huge difference. Usually, they're much cheaper than lock-ons anyways. So give it a shot. if it doesnt work for you, you're out like $15 tops.
GA902
12/20/2018 7:55am
Braston wrote:
Went from several types of lock-ons (ergons, deathgrips, diety knuckledusters, ruffians) to Renthal Ultra Tacky Pushon grips this summer to try and address a nagging nerve...
Went from several types of lock-ons (ergons, deathgrips, diety knuckledusters, ruffians) to Renthal Ultra Tacky Pushon grips this summer to try and address a nagging nerve issue in my elbow/shoulder/hands.

presto-chango its magic. With most controls being split clamp now days I found it had little negatives to try, but wow it made a huge difference. Usually, they're much cheaper than lock-ons anyways. So give it a shot. if it doesnt work for you, you're out like $15 tops.
Did you have to use any grip glue?
12/20/2018 8:00am
I use renthal kevlar push ons with grip glue and wire. Always used them in the past then tried race face, ergon and dmr lock ons for convenience. They all suffer in comparison for bar feel and only the dmr came close for dampening and comfort but even though I'm 6'1 and have quite big hands they all felt too big even in the thinner widths. As I say I've gone back to renthal push ons even with the faff of glueing and wiring I won't change again.
Mr. P
12/20/2018 8:10am
I've been off lock-ons for years. Lock-ons have a dirty secret, the hard plastic core that runs under the entirety of the grip. IME this makes for a very firm grip as there is not much room left for padding. Some riders like firm grips, and that is great, it's not an issue for them, but I want a grip that dials down vibration and has a touch of give when riding hours in chunky terrain.

Lock-ons are great for the convenience of swapping out grips or bars, and staying in place (but I've not had a non-lock-on throttle).

I've settled in on ESI grips as my go to as I have big hands and like big grips as they have a "chunky" version.
reseRved
12/20/2018 8:36am
I've used dozens of grips off all types and think the ODI vapor grips (push on) have the best feel without question. They're also light and pretty cheap. The downside is they don't last long.
metadave
12/20/2018 8:41am
I used the ODI ruffian push on after developing alot of arm pump the last season. I found the ones I got we're a little harsh for bare hands, but my arm pump and elbow issues I had we're gone. I also have pretty Medium glove size hands and I've found control to be better as well. No slip issues all season even in the wet other than they have slowly rolled forward with no glue or wires.
aw_gooner
12/20/2018 9:10am
I cheat. I take a Sensus Lite single lock body, strip off the thin rubber, and stretch Swaze slip on. I mainly do this to achieve a larger diameter grip for personal comfort, but it does give the padding of a slip on with the convenience of a lock on.
831MHolly
12/20/2018 10:21am
Currently using Chromag Wax by Brandon Semenuk. No Glue, just wired. Love the grippy feel (I don't ride with gloves) and they do certainly cut down on vibration especially when running a 35mm Diameter clamp bar. Renthal push ons are another excellent choice.
kdiff
12/20/2018 10:25am
I've been using the Renthal Kevlar Push-on grips for about six months on my main bike and I'm liking them a lot. I'm probably going to switch my other bikes over when their grips wear out. For comparison my favorite lock on grips are the SC Palmdale's and I wear minimal padding glove, size medium (TLD).

-They provide a little bit of damping, but then it's on the handlebar after that. They made not provide enough if you're using a 35mm bar. I've tried the regular ESI foam grips and they felt too soft when I was in the rocks. IMO the SC grips provide a perfect balance of firmness & damping.
-I haven't measured them, but they feel about the same diameter as an olympic bar, which makes them feel very familiar as far as muscle memory, which adds some confidence in my grip and allows me to relax my hands a little more.
-They're quite tactile but not in an over sticky way where everything clings to them. They maintain their tackiness even in the wet.
-Durability: the wear marks on them so far a fairly minimal and they're not too discolored despite starting as an off-white.

Dislikes and/or things to be aware of:
-I use both glue and wire to keep them in place. Even with a lot of glue I've had them slightly creep inward. No issues since also adding wire. (note: I have carbon bars, perhaps it would be different on a metal bar)
-On longer fast descents (15+ minutes) my hands do sometimes get tingly, especially if I'm running my fork a bit stiff and there is a lot of chatter. My solution to this is to do some hand strengthening and stretching exercises a couple times a week.

TRex
12/20/2018 10:48am
I like the Sensus Swayze grips, non-lock on. I feel like the grips with bar clamps almost always sacrifice a little cushion or give for the ease of taking them off. I don't really take my grips off though, as the brakes and shifter I use all have split clamps. For what its worth, I think for a pair it is like a tenth of a pound lighter too compared to ODI lockons. More comfy, cheaper, lighter. A couple dabs of super glue and I've never gone back to lockons.
T-Dawg
12/20/2018 12:52pm
Used to run ODI longneck lock on- but the grip rubber would always start peeling and moving around on the grip core. Other lock ons grips I tried were hard as a rock garbage
So I switched to ODI longneck push ons or sometimes Sensus push on. I also noticed slide on grips were much better for barspins -as the ends of the bars are now soft thick rubber
whisper
12/20/2018 6:38pm
aw_gooner wrote:
This gives an idea: [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/12/20/7136/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_12_20_at_9.12.17_AM.jpg[/img]
This gives an idea:

Meaty Paws Dropping soon!
whisper
12/20/2018 6:39pm
TRex wrote:
I like the Sensus Swayze grips, non-lock on. I feel like the grips with bar clamps almost always sacrifice a little cushion or give for the...
I like the Sensus Swayze grips, non-lock on. I feel like the grips with bar clamps almost always sacrifice a little cushion or give for the ease of taking them off. I don't really take my grips off though, as the brakes and shifter I use all have split clamps. For what its worth, I think for a pair it is like a tenth of a pound lighter too compared to ODI lockons. More comfy, cheaper, lighter. A couple dabs of super glue and I've never gone back to lockons.
All I've ran since 2009. Glad you're stoked too cus they are our worst selling grip haha
KiloMike
12/20/2018 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 8:20pm
Renthal with 3m deck tape underneath to prevent slipping and add bar diameter. 4 years running, zero complaints. Use old lock on ring on the inside to prevent grips from sliding towards the brake levers.

R-M-R
12/20/2018 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 11:07pm
Mr. P wrote:
I've been off lock-ons for years. Lock-ons have a dirty secret, the hard plastic core that runs under the entirety of the grip. IME this makes...
I've been off lock-ons for years. Lock-ons have a dirty secret, the hard plastic core that runs under the entirety of the grip. IME this makes for a very firm grip as there is not much room left for padding. Some riders like firm grips, and that is great, it's not an issue for them, but I want a grip that dials down vibration and has a touch of give when riding hours in chunky terrain.

Lock-ons are great for the convenience of swapping out grips or bars, and staying in place (but I've not had a non-lock-on throttle).

I've settled in on ESI grips as my go to as I have big hands and like big grips as they have a "chunky" version.
Fully agree. Nothing beats classic Oury grips for me. Sticky, soft, durable, prominent outer edge ... they're dreamy. They'll slip right off the bar if water gets under them, though, so I recommend at least two safety wires per grip. I picked up a set of safety wire twist pliers for $11; grips plus pliers were still cheaper than Lock-On grips.

The best Lock-On grips I've tried are ODI's Elite series, particularly the Flow and Pro. ODI has made the surface eccentric from the core, placing adequate rubber under the side facing the rider and keeping the other side thin to avoid an overly large grip. I usually hate Lock-Ons, but these are pretty good.

I don't know how riders who like extremely thin grips tolerate Lock-Ons, which can have as little as 0.5 mm of rubber over the plastic. A push-on grip with the same diameter will have several times as much rubber.
FilipK
12/21/2018 1:29am
I run slip-ons on a trail bike and dirt bike for about 4 years now. And I probably keep fitting them to any bikes in future.

Pluses:
I like my grips thin, with large usable width and I also like a comfy cockpit. Slip-on is the way to go with these goals. I also like the look. I prefer running 31.8mm bar for comfort reasons too.

Minuses and solutions:
On jump bike, while yanking on bars more, I found I would push the grips inward. Slip-on with enclosed outer edge or recycled lock-on clamps on the inside edge of the grip could be a solution.
While its less of an issue on a trail bike, there is a neat solution. With both brakes on a bike, I run ODI longneck XL cut to length to fill whole space between the edge of the bar and brake(shifter) clamp. I like to move my hands about on the grip while cruising and climbing and I love this setup.
I never twisted the grip while riding, but some of my ham-fisted buddies kept doing it all the time. Handlebar surfaces may act differently too. I might try some grip glue in future just for good measure.
Solidautomech
12/21/2018 6:57am
KiloMike wrote:
Renthal with 3m deck tape underneath to prevent slipping and add bar diameter. 4 years running, zero complaints. Use old lock on ring on the inside...
Renthal with 3m deck tape underneath to prevent slipping and add bar diameter. 4 years running, zero complaints. Use old lock on ring on the inside to prevent grips from sliding towards the brake levers.

What is 3mm deck tape, is it like skateboard grip tape?
GA902
12/21/2018 7:11am
^^^ same question. Really interested in this setup and how you get the grip on over the tape?
Braston
12/21/2018 7:46am
Braston wrote:
Went from several types of lock-ons (ergons, deathgrips, diety knuckledusters, ruffians) to Renthal Ultra Tacky Pushon grips this summer to try and address a nagging nerve...

GA902 wrote:
Did you have to use any grip glue?
I used a bit of super glue on one side combined with wire, and as an experiment left the glue off on the other side but still used wire.

they shift slightly at the same rate... so your mileage may vary.
aw_gooner
12/21/2018 9:11am
aw_gooner wrote:
This gives an idea: [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/12/20/7136/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_12_20_at_9.12.17_AM.jpg[/img]
This gives an idea:

whisper wrote:
Meaty Paws Dropping soon!
I'm impatiently waiting!!!
lewzz10
12/21/2018 1:08pm
Renthal are perfect, Kevlar or ultra tacky going from Ergon and some super thin Raceface (small-ish hands). Tried their glue with wire with limited success. Now on Gorilla super glue w/o wire with no slippage in ~3 months. Can’t beat slip on.
R-M-R
12/21/2018 9:34pm
Those who have had limited success with wire: are you using safety wire pliers or twisting with regular pliers? If it's the latter, perhaps that's the cause of mediocre results. I just can't imagine slippage with tightly wired grips:

void
12/22/2018 1:16am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2018 1:18am
R-M-R wrote:
Those who have had limited success with wire: are you using safety wire pliers or twisting with regular pliers? If it's the latter, perhaps that's the...
Those who have had limited success with wire: are you using safety wire pliers or twisting with regular pliers? If it's the latter, perhaps that's the cause of mediocre results. I just can't imagine slippage with tightly wired grips:

I think success is largely dependent on handlebar surface, mountain bike bars are rarely knurled nowadays.
AGR97
12/22/2018 8:20pm
A question for push on wire users, where do you snip the wire? I’m keen to try push ons but worried worries the end on the wire will be sharp somewhere if I ride gloveless
Big Bird
12/23/2018 8:34am
AGR97 wrote:
A question for push on wire users, where do you snip the wire? I’m keen to try push ons but worried worries the end on the...
A question for push on wire users, where do you snip the wire? I’m keen to try push ons but worried worries the end on the wire will be sharp somewhere if I ride gloveless
Wire tie pliers are sweet, you should get some. They have locking jaws to hold the wire, a spinny thing to twist it tight, cutters to trim it to about 3-4mm and a neat little flat tip to bend the twisted wire over back into the grip so the sharp bits aren't pointing out. Just for good measure, make your twists an a part of the grip that's the least likely to be a pressure point on your gripping hand.

Post a reply to: Grips Question

The Latest