Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Good downhill bikes for beginners? Please reply :(

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2014 12:44 PM

Hey, so i've been riding hardtails for the past years (3 or 4) and i'm 15 in one month. I'm about 5ft11 and weigh 65kg. But recently i've been having the urge to take up downhill and free ride... I'm mainly looking at used bikes on eBay as I cannot afford to buy a new bike. I was just wandering if any of you more experience guys could help me pick out the right bike... I've been looking around but don't really know which is good and which is better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

|

5/3/2014 5:40 AM

A good beginner freeride downhill bike is one that is:

A. Built for that particular discipline.
B. Has the right amount of travel
C. Something you're comfortable on. A few custom tweaks here and there.

Since you're looking for a bike on eBay you're not going to be able to test one out unless you're buying from someone local in your neighborhood.

So you're going to have to do the research on a particular bike you are eyeballing.

Also, be sure to choose a bike that's your size. Don't mess with bikes that are not your size. Sure you can ride a larger or slightly larger (smaller) bike but eventually it will hinder your performance the more you push it.

People will tell you to get what they ride. To be honest the chances of you getting a good beginner bike from: Scott, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Diamondback, Cannondale etc etc etc are high.

So like I said get a bike that is made for what style you want to ride. Get the right size bike. ASK a crap load of questions like detail photos of the tire wear, How many miles on the cassette, if the bike is old ask how many times the suspension has been tuned and re-oiled (ask fo receipts if they paid to have it serviced). It's kinda like buying a car.

(my personal recommendation is a Scott Voltage FR since it's proven to be a great DH/Free ride bike) You can change out the rear shocks angle to make it better for freeride or downhill. Should be within reach if you buy an older used model)

GOOD LUCK!

|

5/3/2014 7:04 AM

Hey, thanks so much for the response, it's helped me a bunch! I'm currently out looking in bike shops for some to have a try on. As I said before, I really appreciate the help and hope to be out on a new bike soon! I'll have a look at the Scott and some others. Thanks man smile

|