Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Good bike for a BMXer transitioning in MTBing

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2013 10:40 AM

So I've been getting sick of the posers that have taken up BMX recently, and after watching some Red Bull MTB vids and the Teva Mountain Games (or whatever its called) I figured I'd try MTB. I have an Ibex, but it's not full suspension, only the front forks have shocks. I'm interested in a good, cheap bike that's full suspension.

|

1/2/2013 11:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:22 AM

Are you looking to buy a new bike, or used? I mean you don't necessarily have to have a full suspension, its whatever floats your boat really. Next question is is what style of riding are you trying to do(DH, XC, 4X, etc.). Also next big question is how much are you trying to spend? I personally ride a Giant Trance X3, not exactly on the lower ends of pricing but a nice middle ground.

Answer some of the questions from above and we can get you pointed in the right direction.

|

1/2/2013 12:02 PM

PhluffheadPhanner wrote:

Are you looking to buy a new bike, or used? I mean you don't necessarily have to have a full suspension, its whatever floats your boat really. Next question is is what style of riding are you trying to do(DH, XC, 4X, etc.). Also next big question is how much are you trying to spend? I personally ride a Giant Trance X3, not exactly on the lower ends of pricing but a nice middle ground.

Answer some of the questions from above and we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Full suspension for sure, I've messed up my legs a lot from hard landings. for riding, I'm talking downhill and dirt jumping (but not the downhill gravity stuff). And I'm not sure how much I would spend, since I don't really know what the costs for these sort of bikes are

|

1/2/2013 12:05 PM

I mean I guess your best bet is to probably look on Pinkbike in the Buy/Sell area and try to find what you like. How nice of a bike you want to get depends on how big your wallet is. You could be looking anywhere from $1000 to $6000. Some less, some more. If it were me I wouldn't pay anything less than a grand for something like this.

|

1/2/2013 2:17 PM

PhluffheadPhanner wrote:

I mean I guess your best bet is to probably look on Pinkbike in the Buy/Sell area and try to find what you like. How nice of a bike you want to get depends on how big your wallet is. You could be looking anywhere from $1000 to $6000. Some less, some more. If it were me I wouldn't pay anything less than a grand for something like this.

Is there a website like Danscomp that's for mountain biking?

|

1/3/2013 10:16 AM

what are you going to do when you find out that MTB is populated with a bunch of poseurs, too? wink

|

1/3/2013 12:25 PM

w4s wrote:

what are you going to do when you find out that MTB is populated with a bunch of poseurs, too? wink

Of course, you have JensonUSA, Chain Reaction Cycles, Price Point, and Bike Wagon. Also check out the buy/sell here and on PB. Some deals to be made there

|

1/3/2013 5:16 PM

When you say downhill, but not the gravity kind do you mean trail riding? And short travel bikes that will be more geared for dirt jumping will be a lot more expensive compared to bmx, so as PhluffheadPhanner said look towards the used spectrum.

|