Freeride Yeti 303?

zenwafle
Hey,
I have a 2007 Yeti 303 (non rdh) and was looking at buying a RockShox Totem for it and adjusting the geometry to my liking. Would this make a solid hard hitting freeride bike and a solid jump/ bike park bike? As I live near Trestle. Current fork is a pushed 2007 boxxer World Cup.
Thanks, Connor
|
taldfind
5/18/2019 6:33pm
What geometry adjustments do you want to make?
taldfind
5/19/2019 10:17am
I just looked up the Axle to Crown lengths for the Boxxer and Totem, I didn't find numbers for 2007, but found them for 2008 and I don't think either fork changed between those years. The Totem is 3mm shorter than the boxxer, so there won't be much of a change to your geometry at all.

Why do you want a single crown fork? Are you going to do bar spins or tail whips? This is just my opinion, but unless you are going to do those kind of tricks, I would stick with a dual crown fork and more travel for a "freeride" rig. Dual crowns have better stability and control when things get hairy, and an extra 20mm of travel can make the difference between a clean landing and a harsh bottom out.

If you are wanting bigger stanchions than the 2007 boxxer's 32mm, the Totem will give you that, but so will a 2010 or newer Boxxer, Marzocchi 888, Marzocchi 380, and Fox 40.
zenwafle
5/19/2019 2:55pm
taldfind wrote:
I just looked up the Axle to Crown lengths for the Boxxer and Totem, I didn't find numbers for 2007, but found them for 2008 and...
I just looked up the Axle to Crown lengths for the Boxxer and Totem, I didn't find numbers for 2007, but found them for 2008 and I don't think either fork changed between those years. The Totem is 3mm shorter than the boxxer, so there won't be much of a change to your geometry at all.

Why do you want a single crown fork? Are you going to do bar spins or tail whips? This is just my opinion, but unless you are going to do those kind of tricks, I would stick with a dual crown fork and more travel for a "freeride" rig. Dual crowns have better stability and control when things get hairy, and an extra 20mm of travel can make the difference between a clean landing and a harsh bottom out.

If you are wanting bigger stanchions than the 2007 boxxer's 32mm, the Totem will give you that, but so will a 2010 or newer Boxxer, Marzocchi 888, Marzocchi 380, and Fox 40.
I’m planning on doing x ups and I like the turning radius, but I’ll look
taldfind
5/19/2019 5:23pm
zenwafle wrote:
Also, is this fork any good? https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2565814/
It might be okay, but the closest Bos service center to the US is in Mexico, so you will have to do pretty much all service and repair work on those yourself.

If you really want to do X-ups, then get a single crown, but don't rule out forks like a 180mm travel fox 36 or Marzocchi 66. I personally have run both in the past, and they are great forks.
zenwafle
5/19/2019 5:48pm
zenwafle wrote:
Also, is this fork any good? https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2565814/
taldfind wrote:
It might be okay, but the closest Bos service center to the US is in Mexico, so you will have to do pretty much all service...
It might be okay, but the closest Bos service center to the US is in Mexico, so you will have to do pretty much all service and repair work on those yourself.

If you really want to do X-ups, then get a single crown, but don't rule out forks like a 180mm travel fox 36 or Marzocchi 66. I personally have run both in the past, and they are great forks.
Do you think the geometry is good for it?
taldfind
5/22/2019 3:18pm
zenwafle wrote:
Do you think the geometry is good for it?
Good for x-ups, or good in general? The handlebar width has a huge impact on if you can do x-ups or not. Too wide and you end up hitting you knee or front of the saddle. A longer bike can have a wider bar while still doing x-ups. And a longer bike might be a better ergonomic fit, might not. It can be difficult to recognize a poor fitting bike that you have ridden for years until you ride one that feels better, and even then it can be really tough to know exactly why one bike feels better than another.

From what I recall of the geometry of the 2007 303, in medium has similar geometry to the 2009 Commencal Furious that I used to own (check it out here) I loved that bike, and could do x-ups with it until I put an 800mm handle bar on it. But I loved the added control of the 800mm bar more than the ability to do x-ups, so I never cut the bar down. Now, almost 4 years after selling it, I feel that a much longer bike (like 60mm longer reach) would make my body happier, and I'm a firm believer that the more you feel "good" on a bike, the better you will do everything on it, tricks included.
zenwafle
5/22/2019 6:23pm
Nice derailleur chose Laughing thanks for all of your help

Post a reply to: Freeride Yeti 303?

The Latest