Florian Nicolai's Nose Pivot

Nicholast
Edited Date/Time 3/9/2015 6:59pm
A friend sent out a link to Florian Nicolai's amazing nose pivot during the Finale Ligure stop on the 2014 EWS. I'm looking for more information about it; is there a longer video floating around showing more of his run? I'd like to see how other riders handled the same turn for perspective because Florian's trick is video game mode.

A GIF of the same for those who need awesome GIFs for obscure reasons.
http://giant.gfycat.com/MadInferiorAtlasmoth.gif
|
bturman
3/4/2015 2:20pm
Sickest thing ever! I need to improve my euro turning skills. Dang.
sspomer
3/4/2015 3:16pm
haha euro turning. that's nuts
3/4/2015 4:14pm
This video actually does his move justice...almost

You have no idea how tight and how hard this corner actually was. I spent a long time with the team there trying to figure it out and honestly could barely just ride around it. I ended up running it in the race because I didn't want to risk crashing, which plenty of people did.

I'll ask our videographer if he has the complete footage. Pretty sure there are some clips of it in the Finale race edit as well.
Big Bird
3/4/2015 4:14pm
I was gonna say "Yeah, whatever, I nose pivot all day." But then he had to throw in that spring off to one foot drop while still turning and then rail out of it maneuver. Damn. Whatever.
sspomer
3/4/2015 4:36pm
This video actually does his move justice...almost You have no idea how tight and how hard this corner actually was. I spent a long time with...

You have no idea how tight and how hard this corner actually was. I spent a long time with the team there trying to figure it out and honestly could barely just ride around it. I ended up running it in the race because I didn't want to risk crashing, which plenty of people did.

I'll ask our videographer if he has the complete footage. Pretty sure there are some clips of it in the Finale race edit as well.
rad! would be stoked to more.
Nicholast
3/4/2015 7:58pm
This video actually does his move justice...almost You have no idea how tight and how hard this corner actually was. I spent a long time with...

Yes please! That would be excellent. You seem like a pretty creditable source for this. Wink

@Shniicky - Thank you for the link. I have seen that before. Pretty cool little clip they threw together, but I want more... no... demand more Florian Nicolai switchback videos! Vital, are you listening? +1 for a Vital RAW of Florian Nicolai with a healthy dose of switchbacks. Make it happ'n. [Please.]
JCL
3/4/2015 8:11pm
If Jesse ran that thing it must be 100x harder than Florian makes it look.
3/4/2015 9:33pm
JCL wrote:
If Jesse ran that thing it must be 100x harder than Florian makes it look.
It was faster for me to run it than to try and ride it. Also less risky.
But yea, I don't think anyone could do it any better than Flo does in this video.
TEAMROBOT
3/4/2015 11:07pm
So that turns sucks, right? Can we talk about how horrible that turn looks?
3/5/2015 12:03am
Awesome riding skills!
Was a huck right before the bush not possible?
ma.vi
3/5/2015 1:49am
Nicholast wrote:
A friend sent out a link to Florian Nicolai's amazing nose pivot during the Finale Ligure stop on the 2014 EWS. I'm looking for more information...
A friend sent out a link to Florian Nicolai's amazing nose pivot during the Finale Ligure stop on the 2014 EWS. I'm looking for more information about it; is there a longer video floating around showing more of his run? I'd like to see how other riders handled the same turn for perspective because Florian's trick is video game mode.

mamath7
3/5/2015 2:09am
I can do something that looks like it, but not with tons of style like Florian. almost a bmx move
sideshow
3/5/2015 3:04am
I think this just proves that "parking lot tricks" are worth practicing, no matter how dumb you look while doing so.
3/5/2015 9:01am
Nicholast wrote:
A friend sent out a link to Florian Nicolai's amazing nose pivot during the Finale Ligure stop on the 2014 EWS. I'm looking for more information...

ma.vi wrote:
Nice find on the video! That shows how much of a struggle that corner was and how perfect Flo actually was.
And it wasn't possible to huck the bush before it because it switched back too far to the right and you couldn't get a good enough angle to avoid it. So you would just be hucking into another big tree.
sspomer
3/5/2015 9:22am
analysis vid embedded here for easy viewing. pretty rad!

Eoin
3/6/2015 1:32am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 1:34am
Pretty epic Switchback from Florian at the end of this video:
"I guess I'll just bunny hop diagonally a few feet into the air and stay off the brakes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3jAoo0SOe0U#t=76

His facebook has some truly epic shots:

Smashing berms + crowd look back, all in a race winning run...
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=230865693768846&set=vr.23086569376…

Defying gravity:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=277102232478525&set=vr.27710223247…

Making use of the whole trail:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205403740401294

#FloLineFriday Smile
3/9/2015 6:59pm
The video of that corner is fascinating. I gotta say that I don't think that corner sucks at all. It would suck if every corner on a stage was like that, but its awesome to see how different riders deal with those kinds of challenges at race pace! The only person aside from Flo who seemed like they got it through it relatively quickly was #22 on the GT. Martin Maes I think. His foot plant technique looked solid and seemed to get him through the corner with good exit speed, although it definitely wasn't as stylish as Florian's nose wheelie. It would be cool see a Morocco Media style analysis of the two to see which was faster...

Post a reply to: Florian Nicolai's Nose Pivot

The Latest