Filmers: FAA to Require a Pilot's License to Fly Drones

bturman
Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 10:59am
Here's a shocker: http://petapixel.com/2014/11/24/reports-claim-faa-going-require-full-bl…

Could have big implications for anyone doing commercial work for MTB videos within the USA.

"The FAA has been working on a set of regulations for commercial drone use for months now, and according to the most recent reports, the results of all that work are some extremely strict rules that include requiring a full-blown pilot’s license if you intend to sell what you’re capturing.

FAA’s soon-to-be-release regulations include: requiring a conventional pilot’s license, no flying at night, no flying above 400ft, and always staying in sight of your device.

And if you think you’ll escape these stringent requirements by using a smaller drone, think again. The rules, writes the WSJ, will apply to all camera drones weighing 55lbs or less..."

|
970biking
11/24/2014 11:18am
Quoted from Engadget

"Whatever you think of these requirements, you'll have a chance to offer some feedback. The FAA is expected to make its proposal before the end of the year, and there will be a public comment phase where your input (hopefully) influences the final rule set. It may take up to two years to hash things out, so these terms definitely aren't set in stone."

Hopefully there will be some constructive conversations and tourists stop flying them into national treasures in the mean time.
Scrub
11/24/2014 2:16pm
Runway 2 cleared for take off, Roger that.
xyian
11/24/2014 3:22pm
I wish they would stop calling them drones in the first place.
Second, I think this is a good thing. I've wrecked mine(luckily, in the woods) and it's not hard.
People should have some semblance of responsibility when flying.

Still...it's gonna make a lot of people work under pseudonyms. Luckily, most of mine is for engineering
purposes so I'd have to have insurance and such anyhow. It's a good thing there's too much canopy here
or I'd be trying to sell the mtb stuff which is impossible to fly through trails(for my skills) in the NW.
T-Dawg
11/24/2014 5:13pm
Key word there is: commercially

If it turns out to be a Blanket rule for everybody- then just hope your stock broker didn't invest all your money into that AirDrone, Inc corporation
rpet
11/24/2014 8:16pm
commercially would be any video posted to youtube where advertising is being sold in the margins, no?
bturman
6/22/2016 10:59am
The FAA has released its official rules for commercial drone use in the USA.

According to PetaPixel, here's the basic summary:

- Must be over 16 years old
- Must hold a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating or be under the constant supervision of somebody with that certification
- Must pass a TSA security background check
- Max altitude of 400ft and max ground speed of 100mph (87 knots)
- Fly only during daylight hours (twilight is fine as long as your drone is equipped with warning lights)
- Must maintain visual line of sight
- Can’t operate over people unless they are "directly participating in the UAS operation"
- Can't operate the drone "under a covered structure"

Read more here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

The new regulations should go into effect this August.
sspomer
6/22/2016 11:11am
bturman wrote:
The FAA has released its official rules for commercial drone use in the USA. According to [url=http://petapixel.com/2016/06/22/faa-released-official-rules-commercial-drone-use/]PetaPixel[/url], here's the basic summary: - Must be over 16...
The FAA has released its official rules for commercial drone use in the USA.

According to PetaPixel, here's the basic summary:

- Must be over 16 years old
- Must hold a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating or be under the constant supervision of somebody with that certification
- Must pass a TSA security background check
- Max altitude of 400ft and max ground speed of 100mph (87 knots)
- Fly only during daylight hours (twilight is fine as long as your drone is equipped with warning lights)
- Must maintain visual line of sight
- Can’t operate over people unless they are "directly participating in the UAS operation"
- Can't operate the drone "under a covered structure"

Read more here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

The new regulations should go into effect this August.
could you imagine getting smoked in the head by a drone going 100mph?! enforcing the "commercial" thing will be interesting as i imagine most people getting paid for some footage will claim "hobbyist".

Post a reply to: Filmers: FAA to Require a Pilot's License to Fly Drones

The Latest