Accessibility Widget: On | Off

FULL PROJECT PREVIEW: the PAPERBOY® Light Hybrid eBike with Gaming Roots

Related:
Create New Tag

3/25/2021 7:00 AM

I’m Steve Wilcox.

I’m a co-founder of Elite Systems Ltd (est. 1984), the UK’s oldest continually operating developer and publisher of computer and video games.

I’m also a co-creator of the PAPERBOY®, a light hybrid eBike we’ll be launching soon via a campaign on Indiegogo.

We’re posting here because:

- we’d like you to know our campaign’s going live shortly and to invite your feedback before it does.

We’re also posting to invite you to:

- enjoy a Preview of the Indiegogo campaign for the PAPERBOY® eBike,

- test ride the PAPERBOY® eBike before or whilst our Indiegogo campaign is live and

- join our referral program and if you do, you’ll to earn US$50 (or the Sterling equivalent) for every pledge you refer.

Here’s the URL of the Preview (where you can sign-up for a test ride and for a campaign launch notification):

https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/8f3b4a31#

Also ... we’re creating a 2nd short film about the PAPERBOY® eBike; the “2,000Km Teardown”.

The “2,000Km Teardown” is the name we’re giving, to the short film we’re creating, about the 2,000Km* road test of the PAPERBOY® eBike which we conducted during the British winter of 2020 / 21.

The short film will be published on the day the Indiegogo campaign for the PAPERBOY® eBike goes live.

You can get an insight into the “2,000km Teardown” at the following link above.

Here’s the link to our Media Kit:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cL0ZkZOR6aOadNsewhOVNpRp4lCqE7L_?

Please let us have your feedback, so that we can re-fine our campaign further before it goes live, by posting
here or by sending a direct message to:

Steve Wilcox, Director

Correspondence Address (New - Oct ’18):49 Sandfield Meadow, WS13 6NH, UK T: 07775 696564 E: steve.wilcox@elite-systems.co.uk

Elite EV (‘Elite Electric Vehicle’) is a trading style of a special purpose vehicle created for Elite's vehicle, auction and other ex-entertainment activities. Co. # 09192829 http://elite-systems.co.uk
|

3/28/2021 9:43 PM

But does it shred

|

i, too, enjoy eating dirt

3/29/2021 5:55 AM

spoon_ wrote:

But does it shred

One man's meat is another man's poison.

|

3/29/2021 6:28 AM

Okay but do you honestly think that a 56cm bike will fit both 5'3 and 6'3??? How is "universal sizing" gonna work?

Photo

What is a video game company doing rebranding Chinese ebikes? What experience do you have running a bicycle company?

What differentiates your bike from the rest of the ebikes on the market? How does it have "gaming roots", did you design the bike? Why is a bike having "gaming roots" desirable?

Why does your logo look like it was made in MS word 2007?

And finally, why did you think Vital MTB was the right place to post this?

|

3/29/2021 6:43 AM

Very curious about the "Gaming Roots" as a gamer myself.

|

3/29/2021 8:02 AM

Welcome, Steve. I'm sure you're about to get a lot of great, actionable feedback on your product.

|

MRP - VP of Business Dev.

3/29/2021 8:50 AM

Paging @Teamrobot....

|

3/29/2021 12:11 PM

spoon_ wrote:

Okay but do you honestly think that a 56cm bike will fit both 5'3 and 6'3??? How is "universal sizing" gonna work?

Photo

What is ...more

We appreciate the feedback.

Answers to some of the questions are touched on in the 2nd of the two videos posted above, ‘though we appreciate you may not have had time to view that.

Those questions will be answered in more detail when the short-film “The 2,000km Teardown” goes live.

In the interim, here in outline, is a response to most of the questions posed

Q: Okay but do you honestly think that a 56cm bike will fit both 5'3 and 6'3??? How is "universal sizing" gonna work?

RESPONSE: I’m 6’1” tall and weigh circa 200lbs. Our middle daughter is 5’5”and considerably lighter. At the time of writing I’ve covered some 3,000km on one of the early production units of the PAPERBOY® and expect to have covered 4,000-5,000km by the time the Indiegogo campaign for the PAPERBOY® closes. Both I and our middle daughter ride Boardman Team Carbon road bikes, when we’re not riding the PAPERBOY®. Hers has a Medium frame, mine has a Large frame. We’re both comfortable riding the PAPERBOY® and so can confirm the sizing of the works.

Q: What is a video game company doing rebranding Chinese ebikes? What experience do you have running a bicycle company?

RESPONSE: We’re not rebranding a Chinese eBike; we’re iterating an eBike that’s already in production. “The 2,000km Teardown” is the name we’ve given to the short film we’ve created about the 2,000km road test of the PAPERBOY® which we conducted in the British winter of 2020-21. In the film we,
- explain what caused a veteran video game company to decide to offer an e-bike
- describe how the PAPERBOY® was selected
- introduce you to Dave Neale, an e-bike designer and builder and co-creator of the PAPERBOY®
- discuss what we learned about the PAPERBOY® during the 2,000km road test
- reveal how what we learned is being used by the manufacturer to improve the e-bike, that’s already in production, to ensure that the PAPERBOY® delivers.

We have almost 4 decades of experience of running a company during which time we’ve created hundreds of products, including hardware products such as the Recreated ZX Spectrum (RZXS). Like the PAPERBOY®, the RZXS was crowdfunded. With more than 10,000 units manufactured and sold, RZXS’s regularly change hands at a premium to their original £49.99 SRP.

Q: What differentiates your bike from the rest of the ebikes on the market? How does it have "gaming roots", did you design the bike? Why is a bike having "gaming roots" desirable?

RESPONSE: In 1984 I co-founded Elite Systems, the UK’s oldest continually operating developer / publisher of computer and video games. Since 1986 Elite’s been publishing the home computer and other versions of Paperboy, a coin-operated game from American arcade game legends Atari. The home computer game versions of Paperboy topped the U, K game charts for a then record breaking three months. For some of the millions of people who’ve played Paperboy, we know (because they’ve told us) Elite’s connection with both the game and with PAPERBOY® eBike is a concept that they love.

Q: Why does your logo look like it was made in MS word 2007?

RESPONSE: Our logo was created in 1984, the year of Elite’s incorporation. We’re very proud of that.

Q: And finally, why did you think Vital MTB was the right place to post this?

RESPONSE: Vital MTB is one the forums that was brought to our attention when searching for possible sources of feedback. We appreciate it’s difficult to answer all of your many questions on this platform but we hope the above in some way helps. Note: “The 2,000km Teardown” will be published on the day that the Indiegogo campaign for the PAPERBOY® goes live.

|

3/29/2021 12:18 PM

Do you have a shortcut to the "®" you can share with us? Certainly you aren't copying and pasting this every time you write PAPERBOY® are you?

|

3/29/2021 12:36 PM

I get the feeling that this isn't going to end well.

|

3/29/2021 7:47 PM

Sorry, i didn't watch your video because i would rather shit on my hands and clap

So you are banking on people buying your bikes because of the nostalgia for a video game company?

You keep saying "it's in the video", would you care to actually explain what you learned ect and how that information was applied to something that's already in production?

And i still can't accept that "one size fits all", this goes against decades of bike development and i just don't believe that a 6'3 or a 5'3 rider will have a good position on this 56 frame. And no, "Oh but it works for me" is not a good answer.

|

3/30/2021 2:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2021 2:29 AM

Hi Steve,

This bike looks great - I appreciate how you have captured the synergy between the much loved PAPERBOY® game and the PAPERBOY® ebike.

Have you heard of Steve Climber? I think a collaboration would be mutually beneficial for the UK's oldest continually operating developer and publisher of computer and video games AND the Flextrek Whipsnake®.

Here's the 5000km video:

Kind Regards,
|