Accessibility Widget: On | Off

FORUM HOTSEAT - Transition Bikes Crew

Create New Tag

4/30/2020 9:38 AM

E.T. wrote:

Tech question here...with roughly 50% of bicycle companies using "Horst" link suspension designs, do you guys experiment with/ride other designs to see if there is a potential different route to explore in the future? A way to differentiate yourselves further beyond your already awesome bikes, brand image, value, and customer support?

That's a great question. Every once in a while one of us will have an opportunity to ride an other brands bike. But it is not something we seek out to test for development purposes. I doubt this is standard protocol with the rest of our peers. We just keep doing our thing!

- Lars

|

4/30/2020 9:42 AM

bturman wrote:

How long is your mullet right now, Sam?

When might people consider swapping out for a shorter-stroke shock to take advantage of less travel on your new bikes? Which rear shocks are you guys digging most on them?

Anything additional you can share about the new latexed EPS process? Those sharper carbon frame lines look great. Does it offer other benefits?

Why the super recessed rear pivot bolt on the inside of the stays?

Hey Brandon! Don't ask...Sam has been cutting his own hair...
I've been running a Push Elevensix 140 on my Scout, its amazing! Thanks! Really stoked on the EPS process from an ID standpoint, it's also much more accurate which makes for less post cleaning/sanding etc.

|

4/30/2020 9:45 AM

What’s Chaz up to these days, and will he be making a comeback soon?

|

4/30/2020 9:45 AM

Love the new bikes. I've got an alloy 2018 Smuggler and love it, but it's a bit on the lardy side. Where can I drill holes in the frame to lighten it up?

|

Beer, Plants, Bikes, Family

4/30/2020 9:46 AM

TRex wrote:

Transition Kevin loves U-Line in Bellingham right? When did that become your favorite trail?

I made the switch from riding only technical trails to only flow trails about 3 years ago and have never looked back. I have a customized Transition Double with a 400mm dropper post so I can pedal it to the top of U-Line for sessioning.

|

4/30/2020 9:47 AM

We watched the Scout grow and grow over the past 2 iterations to something longer than where it started. Do you feel adding travel to the Scout turned it into a mini Patrol vs it being the Transition 27.5 trail bike? Was the OG Scout too short of travel? Enlighten me on the story of the Scout!

|

4/30/2020 9:47 AM

lando wrote:

How's the new Sentinel feel with a coil? And do you recommend any coils in particular to run on the new bike?

The updated lev curve on both new Scout and Sentinel party really well with coil shocks. There are some known clearance incompatibilities notably Marz Bomber and Cane Creek DB (non in-line) that we're aware of. Push has already developed specific tunes for both bikes on their new shock, which isn't being offered on many other brands bikes yet.

- Lars

|

4/30/2020 9:48 AM

PushinPixels wrote:

How come the new Patrol and Sentinel aren't offered with Shimano builds?

Samsquatch wrote:

No reason at all really. We have not had much Shimano on the builds in the past few years, but we had Shimano spec bikes in the past and might again one day. What do you want? I will assume XTR only, right? --Sam

I’d be real happy with Shimano zee. That’s what’s on my throttle! 10 speed is already 9 speeds too many.

|

4/30/2020 9:50 AM

Chachi Arcola wrote:

Chaz has a big moment coming up actually! But until then, I'm guessing he is out crushing KOMs while the rest of us take it easy...

-Skye

|

4/30/2020 9:50 AM

When is the new patrol coming out??

PS I can't believe you didn't repost the green patrol with the skin walls that was on worldwidecyclery... That thing was fire.

|

4/30/2020 9:52 AM

Chachi Arcola wrote:

Ha, the world can only handle so much Chaz....although right now might be the perfect time for him to be out heckling people about social distancing and group rides! Skye....new video!

|

4/30/2020 9:53 AM

bturman wrote:

When might people consider swapping out for a shorter-stroke shock to take advantage of less travel on your new bikes? Which rear shocks are you guys digging most on them?

Anything additional you can share about the new latexed EPS process? Those sharper carbon frame lines look great. Does it offer other benefits?

djseeds wrote:

I've been running a Push Elevensix 140 on my Scout, its amazing! Thanks! Really stoked on the EPS process from an ID standpoint, it's also much more accurate which makes for less post cleaning/sanding etc.

DM for pics. Lets just say I cut it myself and I can't see the back of my head. So...

The EPS and latex process basically takes the (now virtually standard) EPS process a bit further by allowing for a tighter radius in the mold. That helps us do what we want on the ID without adding weight, and it also helps a lot with the details like recessed pockets for rubber protection, etc.

Good catch on the rear pivot thing. The driveside and non-driveside are actually different. We extended the pivot area on the driveside and countersunk the hardware to leave a larger flat surface that the rubbber protector to stick to. That giddy up pivot area gets beat up by the chain and adds noise, so on the new models we wanted to be sure we covered it with rubber to quiet things and protect it. --Sam

|

4/30/2020 9:59 AM

djseeds wrote:

Obviously our new beer collab with Kulshan Brewery "Party in the Woods" Hoppy Lager! Hot tip, the new can labels are high quality printed stickers that can be removed for all sorts of art projects....such as completely covering your frame. You will have to drink at least 69 beers for this, but I think you're up for the challenge!

Challenge Accepted, please send 69 beers to bicycle brustop in Novato. Let's make some magic happen.

|

4/30/2020 9:59 AM

djseeds wrote:

Still plenty poppy?

|

4/30/2020 10:01 AM

bturman wrote:

djseeds wrote:

BRANTLEYB wrote:

Still plenty poppy?

Yeah... the mullet is totally poppin for sure!

|

4/30/2020 10:01 AM

Schmeal wrote:

We watched the Scout grow and grow over the past 2 iterations to something longer than where it started. Do you feel adding travel to the Scout turned it into a mini Patrol vs it being the Transition 27.5 trail bike? Was the OG Scout too short of travel? Enlighten me on the story of the Scout!

Yeah we've been watering it for years, ha!

We all loved the OG Scout, however the one thing we found is it could get overwhelmed in bigger terrain. We're fortunate enough to have a super diverse array of trails in Bellingham (they're also getting watered apparently) that it is fairly common to encounter a gnarly or rough trail on a typical Scout ride. We increased the travel on the V1 SBG version and it definitely changed the character of the bike.

The V2 Scout is, in our opinion, a lot more similar of a bike to the OG. Yes, longer, slacker, even more travel. But the magic is in the updated kinematic. With the stock 57.5 stroke shock and added progression it feels every bit as spunky as the OG. Super playful, nimble and inspires a 'fun' style of riding. She's shed a few lb's being in those new carbon clothes now too, which makes a big difference. Everything the OG Scout really wanted to be.

- Lars

|

4/30/2020 10:03 AM

djseeds wrote:

BRANTLEYB wrote:

Still plenty poppy?

Samsquatch wrote:

Yeah... the mullet is totally poppin for sure!

My wife isn’t impressed that I keep telling her I’m about to unleash the covid mullet.

|

4/30/2020 10:03 AM

bturman wrote:

djseeds wrote:

BRANTLEYB wrote:

Still plenty poppy?

What's up Brantley! Yeah bud, the new lev curve helps with that for sure, both the new Scout and Senty have plenty of pop when living #ONCOIL

|

4/30/2020 10:06 AM

Seat posts are getting shorter and droppers are getting longer. Why not go up to a 34.9mm diameter post, which is more reliable?

|

4/30/2020 10:08 AM

Schmeal wrote:

ride wrote:

Yeah we've been watering it for years, ha!

We all loved the OG Scout, however the one thing we found is it could get overwhelmed in bigger terrain. We're fortunate enough to have a super diverse array of trails in Bellingham (they're also getting watered apparently) that it is fairly common to encounter a gnarly or rough trail on a typical Scout ride. We increased the travel on the V1 SBG version and it definitely changed the character of the bike.

The V2 Scout is, in our opinion, a lot more similar of a bike to the OG. Yes, longer, slacker, even more travel. But the magic is in the updated kinematic. With the stock 57.5 stroke shock and added progression it feels every bit as spunky as the OG. Super playful, nimble and inspires a 'fun' style of riding. She's shed a few lb's being in those new carbon clothes now too, which makes a big difference. Everything the OG Scout really wanted to be.

- Lars

I agree. I’ve learned that you can’t ride a bike by its numbers these days. I grabbed the v2 carbon solely off of my trust that you guys knew what you were doing despite the numbers. Zero regret.

|

4/30/2020 10:09 AM

I was wondering of the Anti-Rise numbers changed on the new pivot layout ?
Thanks

|

4/30/2020 10:17 AM

Vince wrote:

Seat posts are getting shorter and droppers are getting longer. Why not go up to a 34.9mm diameter post, which is more reliable?

Everything is a battle of millimeters and our carbon frames are already up to a 37mm OD in order to have the material needed on the frame side. If you increase the seatpost size you have to make that up somewhere else. And we are not having any trouble with the 31.6mm posts we spec. --Sam

|

4/30/2020 10:20 AM

Also any issues with running a 170 mm fork ?

|

4/30/2020 10:21 AM

Any chance that you might consider creating a new link for the 18/19 Sentinel that mimics the leverage curve of the new bike so that we can party harder in the woods with our current bikes?

I've got my life savings tied up in my build so a new frame isn't in the cards but I'm drooling over the thought of a little more progression and travel to compliment my 11-6!

|

4/30/2020 10:22 AM

Hey guys, love your work! 🤙🏼

|

4/30/2020 10:24 AM

charveyracing wrote:

Hey guys, love your work! 🤙🏼

Get back to work Coach! wink

|

4/30/2020 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2020 10:28 AM

Ryan Silliker wrote:

Also any issues with running a 170 mm fork ?

If this is in reference to the Sentinel - We have a +10mm Green light, so yeah give it a go! It will make the HTA & STA a little slacker and raise the bb a few mm for what it's worth.

- Lars

|

4/30/2020 10:27 AM

Paxx wrote:

Any chance that you might consider creating a new link for the 18/19 Sentinel that mimics the leverage curve of the new bike so that we can party harder in the woods with our current bikes?

I've got my life savings tied up in my build so a new frame isn't in the cards but I'm drooling over the thought of a little more progression and travel to compliment my 11-6!

Not to cut in on their q&a, but https://www.instagram.com/p/B_BkDMQn3sg/?igshid=mhjyrcop8h9e

|

4/30/2020 10:32 AM

Paxx wrote:

Any warranty issues if I try this thing out? :D

Guess it might throw my Push tune out if I did switch though... hmm decisions...

|

4/30/2020 10:33 AM

Hey there! Love the bikes and super stoked on the new Sentinel. I might be able to get one at the end of the summer but I was wondering if there is works for a new Patrol design with the straight lines in the works?

I would prefer to have 27.5 wheels on a bike with 150 in the back and 160 up front. I was thinking about buying the new Scout and adding the extra 10mm front and back but now with the Sentinel out I'm not sure what Ill do. Which would you say would be the better option. Or how do you think the Sentinel would feel as a mullet bike?

|