Enduro practice - Should it be standardized?

TRex
7/29/2015 7:33pm
Seems to me that Jeff Brines has positioned himself as the fairy godmother of enduro. All inquiries concerning fairness, spirit, purpose or etiquette should be placed on his desk for review.
jeff.brines
7/29/2015 7:44pm
TRex wrote:
Seems to me that Jeff Brines has positioned himself as the fairy godmother of enduro. All inquiries concerning fairness, spirit, purpose or etiquette should be placed...
Seems to me that Jeff Brines has positioned himself as the fairy godmother of enduro. All inquiries concerning fairness, spirit, purpose or etiquette should be placed on his desk for review.
Son of a bitch
erik saunders
7/29/2015 8:25pm
russthedog wrote:
all of this is one of my main issues with even racing enduro at a local level. I follow exactly what the organisers say and at...
all of this is one of my main issues with even racing enduro at a local level. I follow exactly what the organisers say and at every local Western Australian event I have attended i feel shafted because everyone else has been practising the course for days. I understand if they want to release the course map a few days earlier but its usually too early. Then with practise being quite short you normally cannot I cannot practise all courses. So I generally ride about half of them in practise, and race half blind. Most other competitors know the courses better than I do, and as a result I place pretty poorly comparatively. Every now and then one will be a bit more even because of travel requirements and I will do much better.

I have never had this issue with DH or XC or marathon or anything else.

If it wasnt for certain requirements that I attend there is no way I would race any enduros at all.

I might be a 9-5 like a lot of you other guys here and my work is pretty flexible but I cant organise days off at the drop of a hat, and I dont really want to have days off unless I need to - hence why I follow the official program which is normally weekend only.

I dont really see how enduro will ever fully get over it but Im sure as it matures itll get better. Until such a time I just refer to it as riding along, and paying to do so. Ill leave it to my DH and XC result to determine my position in the pecking order.
I agree with this in general. It's really important to get straight so the sport can grow. As a person responsible for a few total Fuck ups in the way a race is run I am learning a lot. I feel that gaining consistency in officiating and the process used makes a lot of sense. I really like the sailing analogy and I will for sure look into that as a model that can allow for differences between events under what would still be a single unifying framework for governing the operational side of events - a framework which can be communicated to the riders.

A far as practices go, in my own race I will make sure that there are enough days, and that it allows all riders at least a full day without too much sacrifice. This year I had an issue with that. So I really appreciate this thread, and especially being able to follow Jeff as he works through the issue in his own mind. Ultimately, this is great for the sport to get these things into open forums like this.

bturman
7/29/2015 11:52pm
Today's "unofficial" practice was indeed a free for all. Some riders/teams went so far as to find creative back 4x4 roads to get them nearer to the tops of trails, and others crossed streams in their vehicles and motored up what will be pedal powered climbs on race days, passing the designated shuttle dropoff spots. Whether or not this was all kosher wasn't obvious from the promoter's literature, so it will likely slide. A good number of riders hoofed it up the hills by bike as well.

Many racers will be going in blind due to the odd practice schedule, but have the benefit of fresher legs on their side. Each trail has a few things to be aware of like surprise climbs (some extended ones too) or the odd rock section, though most things are straightforward. 403 has a few nasty turns that would suck to blow by...

Lee Trumpore and I personally rode Stages 1 and 2 to gather some practice action for Vital's upcoming coverage. It turned out to be one of the biggest days I've ever had on a bike. I can't imagine doing 4 days like that in a row, though some will. Others will call it quits half way up the transfer between 1 and 2. It's no joke out here, the hills are monstrous, the soil is loose/rocky, and the elevation is going to wreck unprepared riders. The person who will win will have an incredible ability to recover quickly after the massive transfers, the power/stamina to really mash on those pedals during the mid-stage climbs, and the skill/luck to not flat on one of the pointy rocks that litter some of the fastest sections.

For those wondering what the bike park stages might be, check out the maps here: http://www.enduroworldseries.com/events/usa/

Seems to show Avery and Westside as the two bike park trails, though that's not guaranteed until they officially announce them at 12pm on Thursday. If you've already ridden these trails good on you. If not, start your Youtube search as practicing them now may no longer be an option.
7/30/2015 8:05am
"For those wondering what the bike park stages might be, check out the maps here: http://www.enduroworldseries.com/events/usa/

Seems to show Avery and Westside as the two bike park trails, though that's not guaranteed until they officially announce them at 12pm on Thursday. If you've already ridden these trails good on you. If not, start your Youtube search as practicing them now may no longer be an option."

I'd be shocked if it's not Avery and Captain Jacks. CJ is a brand new trail off of Westside.
jeff.brines
7/30/2015 8:10am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2015 8:10am
[i]Good morning everybody! I hope you are having a great time here in Crested Butte.

First on behalf of the entire management I want to apologize for the miscommunication yesterday regarding practices. Now that we are less than a day to start the race its very important to be clear.

1.Bike Park stages ( stage 6 and 7) will be released today at 12:00 pm via Email and Social Media and on EWS Event Updates page.

2.Bike Park stages are not allowed to practice today. "Following considerable rider feedback on Wednesday, we (BME & EWS) have coordinated with the bike park director to allow racers to ride or inspect bike park stages on Friday and Saturday after the day's racing has completed. The bike park is open until 7pm Friday and 5pm on Saturday, so please make the best use of your time in doing so. This was a large internal decision and feel it alleviates some of the riders concerns with lack of practice on certain stages and following our miscommunication from yesterday." Please title the subject of this email... BIKE PARK PRACTICE UPDATE and put this as top bullet item!

3. Today, Thursday is the official practice day where just Day 2 stages (stage 3 and 4) will be allowed to practice.

4. Shuttles up Cement Creek road will park at Deadman Parking Lot. Riders and teams can also drive themselves, but only to same shuttle drop location at Deadman Parking lot.

5. Big Mountain Enduro will provide Shuttles from the Team Pit area to Deadman Parking lot for $15 round trip. Return shuttles will depart Deadman Parking back to town at 2pm and 4pm respectively.

6. Please take your time to read the Rule book to avoid receiving penalties or being disqualified. Rule Book

Tomorrow the start order will be strict and each rider will be assigned to a specific shuttle at a specific time. Please review thestart list order and time of each shuttle departure in this email attachment, or the Big Mountain Enduro and Enduro World Series websites. Start List

Good luck everybody, for any further questions please feel free to get in touch with me! Enjoy your weekend!
[/i]
jeff.brines
7/30/2015 8:12am
Apparently its more important to be clear about practice only a day before Wink

Also, poor form to CC everyone on an email (not BCC). Anyone want Nico's email address?
sspomer
7/30/2015 8:27am
Apparently its more important to be clear about practice only a day before ;) Also, poor form to CC everyone on an email (not BCC). Anyone...
Apparently its more important to be clear about practice only a day before Wink

Also, poor form to CC everyone on an email (not BCC). Anyone want Nico's email address?
it's a bummer it seems like such a jam up at the race.

for brandon to be blown out by a 2 stages is pretty gnarly. he's a fit little f'er.

#davecampftw
Dave_Camp
7/30/2015 3:55pm
I'm up here... Just finished day 2 of practice- rode/hiked the whole thing. People are gonna die on day 2... Lots of hike a bike and high elevation. Trails are fun though.

Yeah seems like schedule and practice is a bit of a moving target. Lots of people got screwed by the unofficial practice day, and he fact that it was t super clear that day 2 was the only stages open for practice today. Gonna be wasted tired practicing bike park after racing tomorrow. Lol
bturman
7/30/2015 10:11pm
Dave Camp blew by me like I was standing still today. Get some, buddy!

Agreed that Day 2 (Stages 3/4) will crush some riders. BIG, steep climbs. Plus long, physical race runs. Ouch. All the hike-a-bike sections are what did me in during practice. Pretty dang fun trails though. Hope the organizers have a plan in place in case someone gets injured. It's so remote back there.

Also, if it rains... oh man.

Stages 6/7 are indeed Avery and Captain Jack. If you only have time to practice one, get over to Captain Jack so you can dial in your rock garden line. It's pretty rowdy.

Post a reply to: Enduro practice - Should it be standardized?

The Latest