Eagle NX Groupset (1x12) VS XT Groupset (1x11)

suzuki122rm
Hey so looking at upgrading my groupset, I ride a carbon framed scott spark. Wanting to upgrad my entire groupset, I have found a XT groupset with brakes, discs, crank, controls and everything I would need to update my entire groupset for $500.

But I have also been drawn to the NX Eagle Crankset ($375 just for drivetrain). If I was to go the eagle Nx route I would have to spend atleast around $700 to upgrade my brakes as well using XT components for the brakes.

So my question, Complete XT groupset for $500, or $700ish for Eagle drivetrain with XT Braking system. Is it worth the extra money for the Eagle drivechain, I just dont want to upgrade my drivetrain to a 1x11 to find myself wanting to upgrade to a 1x12 drivetrain in the near future....

THOUGHTS? Advice?
|
9/22/2018 5:55am
Isn’t NX way below XT in the pecking order? GX would be a closer comparison. I’d say the XT will be lighter but if you prefer the way SRAM shifts then you’ll not be wanting to go with XT as it’s completely different.
9/22/2018 7:47am
NX is below XT. I've just got an NX groupset as part of a build kit with my RipMo. The rear cassette is rated for e-bikes.. Ie it could double up as an anchor to throw out when your brakes fail!

Why do you feel the need to go 12 speed? If you can stick with 11 I would and you'll get far more for your money.. (Shimano or SRAM)
t-stoff
9/22/2018 8:26am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 8:27am
I wouldn't go NX, maybe not even GX, but I understand the whole 10-50 situation and appeal, but XT has better quality, shifting solutions and durability overall. It lacks the range, indeed, but you have some options around that can give you some similar solutions (minus de 10 cog), Sunrace cassetes with 11-46 and 50, or the Garbaruk (expensive but the 300 g kind of light). I've installed 50 cog cassetes with long cage XT derailleurs but I would buy an aftermarket one.

PS: don't forget to go full SRAM (k7) you have to buy a compatible XD driver hub body.

astrizzle
9/23/2018 1:51pm
I had this debate with myself when buying a new bike (since one bike had the Shimano 11 spd with the E-13 big range hub and the other had eagle). I'm glad that I went with the eagle option, I know shimano just came out with and XTR 12 speed drivetrain but I see that being another year or two for that to trickle down to XT and SLX.

I just like the crisp and light lever action of the Sram stuff but I believe that shimano would be more durable in the long run.
pdon
9/24/2018 7:20am
I had a couple bikes with the XT/E13 combo. I have to agree, the lever feel on the XT shifter is terrible. When your tired on a long ride, it takes a fair bit of effort to shift into a lower gear...start working out those thumb muscles.

That said, I have been just a little disappointed with my GX Eagle.
t-stoff
9/24/2018 7:27am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2018 7:27am
Yep. I think the XT shifter is miles away in functionality (changing a cable per instance) and quality when compared with X1-NX-GX (they're all single action) and they're not that great ergonomically speaking, but XT sure feels heavy, I think it's mostly because of the derailleur clutch, wich by the way, requires regular maintenance to keep it fairly smooth
I use both XT and SRAM. I think in an ideal world, I would have the shimano shifter, the sram deraileur lightness but with xt sturdiness. ;D
pdon
9/24/2018 7:33am
t-stoff wrote:
Yep. I think the XT shifter is miles away in functionality (changing a cable per instance) and quality when compared with X1-NX-GX (they're all single action)...
Yep. I think the XT shifter is miles away in functionality (changing a cable per instance) and quality when compared with X1-NX-GX (they're all single action) and they're not that great ergonomically speaking, but XT sure feels heavy, I think it's mostly because of the derailleur clutch, wich by the way, requires regular maintenance to keep it fairly smooth
I use both XT and SRAM. I think in an ideal world, I would have the shimano shifter, the sram deraileur lightness but with xt sturdiness. ;D
Good point. If you turn the clutch off, it does feel much much better.
reseRved
9/24/2018 9:28am
t-stoff wrote:
I wouldn't go NX, maybe not even GX, but I understand the whole 10-50 situation and appeal, but XT has better quality, shifting solutions and durability...
I wouldn't go NX, maybe not even GX, but I understand the whole 10-50 situation and appeal, but XT has better quality, shifting solutions and durability overall. It lacks the range, indeed, but you have some options around that can give you some similar solutions (minus de 10 cog), Sunrace cassetes with 11-46 and 50, or the Garbaruk (expensive but the 300 g kind of light). I've installed 50 cog cassetes with long cage XT derailleurs but I would buy an aftermarket one.

PS: don't forget to go full SRAM (k7) you have to buy a compatible XD driver hub body.

what t-stoff said: XT or SLX cranks, XT or XTR derailleur, XTR shifter, chain, and BB, and a Garbaruk cassette will give you the best of all worlds
9/25/2018 12:18pm
I agree on avoiding Sram as much as you can. Tired of the poor build quality, exposure and the expansive cost of replacing my Gx every time, I made the switch to Shimano. Couldn't be happier.
9/25/2018 12:49pm
I’ve also heard from a friend who races the EWS that he sees a lot of Eagle mechs ripped off as they are so long..

Post a reply to: Eagle NX Groupset (1x12) VS XT Groupset (1x11)

The Latest