Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Dream Home? Private Ski Resort in Canada Selling for $1.5 Million CAD

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2016 12:55 PM

Photo

If you've ever dreamt about owning your own piece of land to build trails on, a recent home listing two hours north of Toronto, Canada could be your dream come true. The 2,640 square foot house comes with five ski slopes, a t-bar lift system, and lights for night skiing (or riding) for $1.5 Million CAD (roughly $1.1 Million USD). There are five bedrooms, three baths, and 123 acres to work with.

?rel=0&showinfo=0

The catch? At just 250 feet high, your runs would be short and sweet.

The property also includes:

- Hot tub
- 50 foot swimming pool
- Large pond for ice skating
- Large outbuilding
- Warming hut with washroom
- Covered gazebo with a fire pit
- Snow groomer

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

A bit of history:

Rob Birch and Francine Goulet were dating when Mr. Birch took Ms. Goulet to see the place—about two hours from Toronto, Canada—where he’d learned to ski as a child. The overgrown 123-acre property in Huntsville, Ont. was no longer an operating ski mountain. ‘We walked to the top of the hill and the views were outstanding. … We were starting our life together and we thought, ”Wouldn’t this be neat to have a chalet here,’’ says Ms. Goulet. They walked back to their car, which was parked on the old dirt road, and as they pulled away they saw the ‘for sale’ sign.

‘We purchased it and thought, ”Oh my god, we now own a ski hill,”’ says Mr. Birch, who, with Ms. Goulet, owns and runs a logistics company. The couple says they paid approximately $90,000 Canadian dollars for the property in 1997 (US$65,534 in today’s dollars) and then set about restoring the ski facilities. They recut the five runs and the two back-country trails and restored the T-bar lift. One run, named Nancy Greene after the Canadian Olympic skier, has lights for night skiing. They also built two large shops to store equipment.

It's certainly out of my budget, but I'll keep dreaming... What would you build if you owned it?

Visit www.fiddleheadmountain.ca for more details.
|

2/22/2016 1:27 PM

I was thinking about moving If Trump gets elected for Prez in the US. This works out perfect...

|

2/23/2016 8:12 AM

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

I was thinking about moving If Trump gets elected for Prez in the US. This works out perfect...

If that happens, I'm with you. We could split it five ways.

|

2/23/2016 8:18 AM

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

Big Bird wrote:

If that happens, I'm with you. We could split it five ways.

I'm down! Hell, we could post it up on AirBnB as an exclusive MTB'r training camp.
Income property. Win-Win!

|

2/23/2016 8:26 AM

HalfAssedCyclist wrote:

I'm down! Hell, we could post it up on AirBnB as an exclusive MTB'r training camp.
Income property. Win-Win!

count me in if trump wins!

all i see in the pics is the roof line being perfect for a slopestyle feature. the house has to be part of one of the runs.

also wavegarden in the pond.

|

2/24/2016 12:43 PM

I see a dual slalom track under the lights. The property even comes with a snow cat for grooming the trails

|

2/24/2016 12:48 PM

That's an incredible price for the acreage. There was a resort selling in idaho for about the same price but you had to lease the land from the govt

|

2/24/2016 4:55 PM

All I need is a small loan of 1.6 million cad

|

2/24/2016 7:48 PM

1 million for 123 acres alone would be a good deal. The fact that it comes with a house that isn't a complete shit box(looks damn nice actually), a pool, ski runs, AND a lift? a well off skier or mountain biker would really score here

|

2/24/2016 9:52 PM

That's ridiculously low, with a running t-bar, lighted ski run, and killer house. And that acreage. You could get so many runs in you would hate bikes. It would be awesome.

|

2/24/2016 10:32 PM

I think that it would be pretty damn cool if a company like red bull or a huge group of professional riders invested in buying this property and turning it into the ultimate slopestyle/dirtjump/freeride compound. Something that definitely has never been done before, it could be Heaven on a 250 feet foot mountain for professional riders to enjoy or train at. You really could have a bit of everything on this mountain while still building some of the raddest and biggest lines ever conceived. The media content that could come out of something like that would be amazing as well.

Someones gotta dream whistling

|

2/25/2016 8:08 AM

kev.1n wrote:

I think that it would be pretty damn cool if a company like red bull or a huge group of professional riders invested in buying ...more

Sounds exactly like what the DC Mountain Lab was for a while

|

2/26/2016 7:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2016 7:19 PM

if you don't need elevation, there are some gems in the U.S. if you know where to look. moto track anyone? the dirt is impeccable. woodward midwest? who cares if it's BFE Missouri w/ all that land and a massive shop (aka indoor skatepark)? the tornadoes may get you but it wouldn't be 20 below half the year. you could build more trails than portland has too, robot.

85 acres and a nice house and shop $245k
[LINK TO IMAGE]

123 acres and a NICE house and shop with rolling hills $449k
[LINK TO IMAGE]

you can't get a shitbox condo in my town for $245k anymore and barely a rundown single family home for $449k. #perspective

|