Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?

Brian427
Edited Date/Time 9/5/2019 1:23pm
Hello,

I have a Trek Powerfly full-suspension E-Bike 2019.
I am a beginner to mountain bikes, and so unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing.

My Trek comes with a Rockshox Deluxe RL shock, which has a 2 position blue compression knob; please see photo below:

I was experimenting with my shock before understanding that my compression knob had only 2 settings (locked, and open - see blue graphic on the shock in the photo above).

But in experimenting with compression, I saw only at the red graphic on the shock - thinking it was for the compression dial (when in fact the graphic is for the rebound adjustment).

Looking at the red graphic, I turned the knob (too forcefully) counterclockwise (when looking at the knob from the front) - beyond it's intended range.

The knob now clicks at three positions, instead of the intended two (lockout and open):

The third photo in the series above shows the artificial 3rd position/click (at 4 o'clock) that I caused after forcing the knob too much counterclockwise.

The closed/lockout (8 o'clock) position still appears to work, as does the open (6 o'clock) position.
Nothing seems to change when I move the knob from the open (6 o'clock) position to my artificially created 3rd position/click at 4 o'clock.

I took the bike to the bike shop; the mechanic said the shock still works, so don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

I'm very OCD - I was thinking I should have the shock replaced.
I'm embarrassed to go back to the shop and ask for an unnecessary replacement (I would pay the cost of-course).

But is my mechanic correct in saying a replacement is not necessary?
By forcing the knob to a 3rd position or stop - is the shock indeed still good, is it safe???

(I read somewhere in another forum in which the poster said his knob was broken, and as a result, he saw oil leaking out the knob.
And a YouTuber said in a video a broken shock under pressure could blow up).

So my question is: - should I just "keep an eye on things" as suggested by bike shop, or should I just purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance!!

|
7willmorris
9/2/2019 4:19pm
Brian427 wrote:
Hello, I have a Trek Powerfly full-suspension E-Bike 2019. I am a beginner to mountain bikes, and so unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing. My...
Hello,

I have a Trek Powerfly full-suspension E-Bike 2019.
I am a beginner to mountain bikes, and so unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing.

My Trek comes with a Rockshox Deluxe RL shock, which has a 2 position blue compression knob; please see photo below:

I was experimenting with my shock before understanding that my compression knob had only 2 settings (locked, and open - see blue graphic on the shock in the photo above).

But in experimenting with compression, I saw only at the red graphic on the shock - thinking it was for the compression dial (when in fact the graphic is for the rebound adjustment).

Looking at the red graphic, I turned the knob (too forcefully) counterclockwise (when looking at the knob from the front) - beyond it's intended range.

The knob now clicks at three positions, instead of the intended two (lockout and open):

The third photo in the series above shows the artificial 3rd position/click (at 4 o'clock) that I caused after forcing the knob too much counterclockwise.

The closed/lockout (8 o'clock) position still appears to work, as does the open (6 o'clock) position.
Nothing seems to change when I move the knob from the open (6 o'clock) position to my artificially created 3rd position/click at 4 o'clock.

I took the bike to the bike shop; the mechanic said the shock still works, so don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

I'm very OCD - I was thinking I should have the shock replaced.
I'm embarrassed to go back to the shop and ask for an unnecessary replacement (I would pay the cost of-course).

But is my mechanic correct in saying a replacement is not necessary?
By forcing the knob to a 3rd position or stop - is the shock indeed still good, is it safe???

(I read somewhere in another forum in which the poster said his knob was broken, and as a result, he saw oil leaking out the knob.
And a YouTuber said in a video a broken shock under pressure could blow up).

So my question is: - should I just "keep an eye on things" as suggested by bike shop, or should I just purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance!!

I see zero reason for you to replace your shock. The compression adjustments are still functional and at worst you've probable just tweaked the compression circuit in your shock's damper. As such, there wouldn't be any increased chance of your shock "blowing up" as nothing about the air-spring has been compromised. I'd just check that your shock isn't leaking air or oil and it should be fine. If that does start happening, any decent shop will be able to replace the compromised parts of the shock without needing to completely replace it.
Brian427
9/2/2019 7:33pm
I see zero reason for you to replace your shock. The compression adjustments are still functional and at worst you've probable just tweaked the compression circuit...
I see zero reason for you to replace your shock. The compression adjustments are still functional and at worst you've probable just tweaked the compression circuit in your shock's damper. As such, there wouldn't be any increased chance of your shock "blowing up" as nothing about the air-spring has been compromised. I'd just check that your shock isn't leaking air or oil and it should be fine. If that does start happening, any decent shop will be able to replace the compromised parts of the shock without needing to completely replace it.
Hey 7willmorris!

Thanks so much for your input!!
That helps a lot!!
Dave_Camp
9/5/2019 1:23pm
you bent a set screw in the eyelet- shouldn't affect the performance at all provided you can still leave the lever in the correct locations for riding. (pointed down for open mode and 90 degrees for lockout)

This was a common issue- the newer RL models have a lever that spins a full 360 (with lockout being lever pointed up and open being down)

Post a reply to: Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?

The Latest