Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Devinci Troy Chain Slack Issue

Related:
Create New Tag

4/6/2015 12:19 PM

Ok, I have a weird issue and Devinci has been no help at all.

Issue: When suspension is compressed (g-out, longer rock gardens etc.) The upper portion of the chain slackens up from the cassette rolling forward. The chain comes off the front chain ring, I have to pedal half way around to pick up slack. The lower portion of the chain stays tight.

I have replaced/warrantied the Sram rear derailer from x7 to x9, stock wheels to Stans hubs/rims, replaced cassette, 2 new chains, switched to 1x10 w/race face narrow wide.

Devini's response is that since I don't have a stock build they can't help. I had the issue w/the stock build and swapped out parts to correct the issue.

If anyone has any insight or recommendations.
PLEASE HELP!!! I'm at my wits end on this issue and can't afford to just get a new frame.

2014 Troy XP Aluminum Build Medium

Thanks

|

4/6/2015 1:28 PM

sounds like a f-wheel that isn't freewheeling. does this happen if you have it in the stand with no shock and cycling it slowly or only under hard hits on the trail? To be honest i dont think it is a frame issue as the frame in and of itself will not cause this. most suspension designs have a rearward axle path, to vertical, definitely not one that will shorten the chain. so i really doubt it is a frame issue.

I would first go to the rear hub. what wheel/hub?

|

4/7/2015 12:44 AM

Hi Jclawson01

I had similar Problems with my Easton Havocs, everything was set up correctly (chain length, Limit screws etc) and everytime I pedalled my chain would get "sucked up". I quickly found the problem.

It was one of two things:
- I tightened the Cassette to tight ( not to the recommended torque)
- depends on what Cassette you're running but don't Forget the spacer ring between the freehub Body and the Cassette.

Check it out, maybe you had the same problem as I did.

Good luck to you sir.

|

4/13/2015 10:46 AM

Sounds like a bad freewheel to me but it's weird it's happening on multiple wheelsets. I'd look at the stays around your drive side drop-out to see if there's any marks from contact from the highest gear on the cassette or the chain, maybe something is binding at full travel. Also, a band-aid solution could be a chain-guide, but it's not really addressing what the actual issue is. Pics?

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

4/13/2015 4:15 PM

Could be your internal cable routing. My wife has this bike and she had to make hers external to get it to work properly.

|

4/13/2015 8:12 PM

airwreck wrote:

Could be your internal cable routing. My wife has this bike and she had to make hers external to get it to work properly.

Curious, how was your wifes shifting/drivetrain acting up due to the internal routing?

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.