DOT vs. MTB helmet

astrizzle
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2014 2:21pm
I am thinking about getting a new helmet to start the season, and I'm not sure whether to get a DOT or a regular MTB fullface. I know the difference in protection is pretty big but do you really need a Moto helmet for downhill?? Let me know what you guys think!!
|
MTB R&D
5/18/2010 4:33pm
I use a MTB rated helmet. IMO, they are lighter, less neck strain in a fall. I will be interested to see what people come up with. We make moto helmets and bike helmets...we have not yet decided to bring the moto stuff into the US.
Total Gnar
5/19/2010 11:37am
I have a DOT helmet, but my next helmet will be one MTB, the new 661 Evo looks pretty dope. The DOT approved ones are just a bit big and I've heard the DOT test is a blunt force trauma test that doesn't really apply to MTB.
dgodard
5/19/2010 5:08pm
I ride DOT coupled with a Liatt. This is largely based on two points. One, I also ride a lot of moto so having one helmet for both is easier and cheaper. Two, I have come to look at the arguments surrounding helmets something like this: DOT helmets in my opinion are held to a more rigorous and demanding set of standards based on that of road motorcycling. Bike helmets are held to what the standard has been set at for non motorized i.e. bicycle use. I do not know, but I am willing to bet the person that defined these standards has never heard of or has little understanding of what downhill riding is. A good reasoning I read a while back about neck braces that I think is applicable is "I just don't ever want to sit around wondering what if", in reference to whether a Liatt would have worked or not.

End Rant...

Post a reply to: DOT vs. MTB helmet

The Latest