DISCUSS - 29ers in WC downhill?

Crush
1/22/2017 4:26pm
Oz_Taylor wrote:
Lets say there's a track on the circuit where the rollover and momentum offered by 29" wheels gives a distinct advantage. What if you are simply...
Lets say there's a track on the circuit where the rollover and momentum offered by 29" wheels gives a distinct advantage. What if you are simply not tall enough to ride a 29" wheeled dh bike effectively? Why bother to race when you are already at a disadvantage because of something that isn't your fault ie. your size.

I understand this a contentious point to make because it hasn't been proven that a small guy can't ride a 29" wheeled DH bike, or that bigger guys have an advantage on this wheel size, or if 29" wheels are even faster for DH. This is all just hypothesis at the moment.

To stick with the guitar analogy. This is what a short rider would look like on a 29" DH bike :-)

As a behemoth I'd say it's better to be small than tall for most bike things.

Cut backs and tight turns are easier for the short guys... lower cg and all that. With modern suspension it's rare the section that is so rough that long legs pose a significant advantage in moto or dh.
1/23/2017 2:20pm
Oz_Taylor wrote:
Lets say there's a track on the circuit where the rollover and momentum offered by 29" wheels gives a distinct advantage. What if you are simply...
Lets say there's a track on the circuit where the rollover and momentum offered by 29" wheels gives a distinct advantage. What if you are simply not tall enough to ride a 29" wheeled dh bike effectively? Why bother to race when you are already at a disadvantage because of something that isn't your fault ie. your size.

I understand this a contentious point to make because it hasn't been proven that a small guy can't ride a 29" wheeled DH bike, or that bigger guys have an advantage on this wheel size, or if 29" wheels are even faster for DH. This is all just hypothesis at the moment.

To stick with the guitar analogy. This is what a short rider would look like on a 29" DH bike :-)

What if I'm a midget and can only ride a BMX?

What if I have a heart condition and I have poor endurance?
Oz_Taylor
1/23/2017 2:48pm
What if I'm a midget and can only ride a BMX?

What if I have a heart condition and I have poor endurance?
Then you should campaign for BMX in the Paralympics ;-)

Seriously though, neither of those conditions would allow you to race downhill at a professional level.

You can't really argue extremes, you have to look at averages then perhaps grant dispensation in special circumstances.
kog1
1/24/2017 8:29pm
Oz_Taylor wrote:
Have any of you considered that by regulating certain things, other areas might benefit from more research and development? Teams will always choose the most cost...
Have any of you considered that by regulating certain things, other areas might benefit from more research and development?

Teams will always choose the most cost effective way of making a bike (or car or whatever) perform better.

Maybe instead of spending the next few seasons testing and developing new frames, geometry, forks etc to work with a 'faster' wheelsize, they could work on other, more innovative stuff.

Oz_Taylor wrote:
Have any of you considered that by regulating certain things, other areas might benefit from more research and development?

Teams will always choose the most cost effective way of making a bike (or car or whatever) perform better.

Maybe instead of spending the next few seasons testing and developing new frames, geometry, forks etc to work with a 'faster' wheelsize, they could work on other, more innovative stuff.

Yeah, you'll be paying for innovative stuffs but all at micro levels (reads meh...levels) like:

1) smashing new carbon lay ups - every time
2) an even lighter frame only to stick lead weights to the bike cos uci says the minimum race weight is 6.8kg. Merida can't race their lightest in the world production bike cos it's too light even with the heaviest drivetrain bolt on.
3) more aerodynamic frame

Roadies are basically paying for nothing much but the latest drive train every time. Now they are trying to squeeze in suspensions / dampers front and back (specialized for eg.), disc brakes and wider tires but struggles to be within uci's glass cage.

Everyone will then needs to fork out Top dollars but Meh... level innovations.

Short people have minds - they will choose a machine that they can ride fast be it 26, 27.5 or 29. They do not need taller guys to put in special rules 'for' them.

The problem only arise when you have 'very concerned' people who unintentionally act like dictators and dictates what he or she should ride and what's look nice on them.

Post a reply to: DISCUSS - 29ers in WC downhill?

The Latest