Accessibility Widget: On | Off

DH Bike and tall rider?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2014 3:09 PM

Hey guys I'm looking into buying a downhill bike and I have been pretty interested in the Airborne Toxin as it is a good price (http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/138-airborne-toxin-complete-bike.aspx). I have been riding a hardtail thats a little too small for me for a while, and Im looking to upgrade. I would like to upgrade to a full suspension bike.The problem is I am 6'4'' but skinny and the bike only goes up to an 18'' frame. Ive seen other companies with downhill bikes with a little bigger of a frame but they are pretty expensive. I would use the bike for parks, but also some trail riding too, so Ill probably put a smaller chain ring on it to make climbing easier if needed. I am sure there are some modifications I can do to make it more "tall" friendly, but in your opinion do you think I would be too tall for a DH bike? If so, do you have any recommendations for me.

|

12/13/2014 6:23 PM

Sorry Son, you live in a small world. I'm 6'7" and have dealt with sizing since I started riding. At this point I've gotten tired of waiting and just make my own. The 18" frame size isn't so much an issue. On a downhill bike the seat is generally for resting, and the important measurement for us tall guys is the top tube length or the length of the front end. For that bike you might just end up with a lot of seat post showing. For us tall guys I recommend looking into the RASE adjustable seat post. They're expensive, but they are the only one I know of that offer a useful amount of adjustability.

|

12/13/2014 8:17 PM

Thanks for your feedback!

|

12/13/2014 8:20 PM

That Airborne is going to be too small for you. Your best option for getting a bike big enough would be the newer GT Fury. The next largest bikes are the Kona Operator, Specialized Demo or Santa Cruz V10. If you happen to win the lottery both Pivot and Santa Cruz have really long new DH bikes coming out. I am 6'5" and have been on an XL V10 for over three years and it has been awesome. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a good used XL V10, a new old-stock ('13) alloy Kona Operator, Demo 8 or GT Fury. The Fury is the least expensive and best fitting. I don't know anyone who's owned one so I cannot comment on it's reliability or ride quality.

|

12/13/2014 8:35 PM

I have contemplated saving up for a v10 but I'll take a look at the other bikes you recommended. Thanks!

|

12/13/2014 9:12 PM

I ride the 2015 Giant Glory L and it is huuuuuge!
In fact it oftens drags in the ground when attached to the gondola cabins here in Queenstown (taco'ed wheel because of that the other day).. I'm 6'2", but the front end is enormous, a 6'5" rider could ride this thing comfortably.

|

12/14/2014 1:04 AM

Thanks a lot for your input guys. I really appreciate it!

|

12/14/2014 1:19 AM

@FabdemaereYour large Glory is big, but the XL is bigger. I had no idea they would be making an XL. All the info regarding the 2015 model was stating they were only making S-L sizes but upon checking Giants website I found they have an XL size listed (very 2015 Santa Cruz V10-esque). No reach measurements available but it has a 50.1" wheelbase, so it should be longer than the GT. Another option for very tall people!
Giant geo chart

|

12/15/2014 8:20 AM

I am selling my XL V10 for $3700, I'm 6'5" and it fits well after putting high rise bars on. I'm in Durango, CO.

|

12/16/2014 10:12 PM

|