Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Could this be a good comparable to an X01 setup?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2013 8:29 PM

I have wanted to convert my trail bike to a single ring set up for a little bit now but deep down I know I can't afford and XX1 or X01 components and my dual ring/guide/front derailure set up works fine. I"m not sure if this would even be compatable with my bike but I wonder if it would be close to an X01 or XX1 setup but just with a ten speed. I mean as long as the cogs are the right gearing and you have a descent range, what should it matter if its 11 or 10 speed right?

http://www.nsmb.com/42-tooth-cog-10-speed-oneup/

|

11/30/2013 8:10 AM

I've been running a single front chainring since the eight speed days. Ten should work just fine as long as you have a big enough low gear and a small enough front. The only compromise is the spacing between the gears. When you're grinding up that hill it's nice to have that perfect gear instead of being annoyingly stuck in between too hard and too easy.

|

11/30/2013 9:15 AM

yea that is true and it is hard to replace my 2x10 setup when it works just fine and hasn't failed on me yet just to drop like 300 on parts to switch to something that is unproven and might suck.

|

12/2/2013 6:19 PM

astrizzle wrote:

yea that is true and it is hard to replace my 2x10 setup when it works just fine and hasn't failed on me yet just to drop like 300 on parts to switch to something that is unproven and might suck.

astrizzle, we'll be testing out the OneUp ring in the coming months. Hang tight for our review if you're concerned about it.

|

12/13/2013 12:52 PM

We're building a new hardtail at the moment and 1x10 is the way to go. The bike (Cotic Soul) will have a 32T Race Face Narrow Wide chainring in front together with a 11-36 XT cassette. This should work in 99% of the climbs here. With the 11-36 XT cassette there's also an option to go with the new 42T OneUp sprocket if needed in the future.

|