Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Can you handle 60 Miles?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/14/2014 8:29 PM

Winter is Coming... How will you spend it? Hitting the gym? Balancing on the rollers? If you've got some vacation time just inside the new year, might I suggest a gravel grinder?

So here is the trend... MTBers, CXers, even roadies are taking trips down south to escape the cold. With rise of long, organized, group based MTB rides you might as well include some miles alongside your beach time.

Last year I took on one such challenge at a fun race called Piggy's Revenge. It has 20, 40 and 60 mile routes around the Carlton reserve park in Venice, Florida. I chose the 40 mile route which include newly built singletrack and man was it hard. Since then I got involved with the trail group who crafted the singletrack and helped them build even more. This year the race will be even bigger, so I offered to help spread the word.

If you are coming to Florida anyway, might as well get in some riding, meet other MTBers and enjoy some hand made bratwurst and cold beers. There should be 100+ riders and its always a great atmosphere. There are more dtails and hotel info on the website - SCORR / Piggy's Revenge.

This year I'm gonna try the 60 mile route. Boars, alligators, bobcats, river crossings, fingers crossed.

|

Author of the mountain bike book Twisted Trails

11/16/2014 1:55 PM

60 miles is a solid day, especially if it's on singletrack. Good luck Alex!

|

11/16/2014 4:32 PM

I cannot now, but I did at least sixty in a day, I'm pretty sure sixty eight. It was the Turkey Burn one year in the past. It's a ride put on by the Warrior Society MTB Club in So Cal. I did the "A" group ride which was two loops up and down Saddleback? Mtn. My memory is hazy on the numbers, but I remember my ride well. It was a red Heckler X with an upgraded shock and a DHO. The drivetrain was a forty eight tooth OG MRP and a 30?-32? eight speed cassette. It was my downhill and cross country bike at the time. I carried two stems with me, one for the long climbs and one for the long descents.

|

11/18/2014 11:31 AM

Nice, I wish there was a 'Like' button on this forum.

|

11/29/2014 4:20 PM

Got in some practice on the trails for this race. The cross bike handled it better than I thought.

?list=UUOraf9oadxgnRe4jveOgX4Q
|

11/29/2014 5:15 PM

20 for sure, 40 potential, 60 no way. Good luck!

|