Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Bunnyhop Stories

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2010 12:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:18 AM

I always thought it was so rad in Earthed when the Athertons bunnyhop their dh bikes into the back of that pickup for shuttles. I ended up trying that one time and barely squeeked it into the truck and my dad was furious at me when he found out.

Anyways, this video just made me think of all of that. It's 20" stuff but that's not the point.

The point is that all these other pros standing there are blown away by what is arguably the most basic bike trick of all time- a simple bunnyhop. Maybe the wheelie is more fundamental- I don't know. Anyways, it's just cool that despite all the tricks these guys can do, they are blown away by a bunnyhop.

Got any good bunnyhop stories? If not, maybe you should... ride around for a day and just bunnyhop curbs and remember how fun that is.

|

3/26/2010 1:08 PM

Well, Ty Morrow is not a human being, so this doesn't really count.

As for bunny hop stories, well, not a fun one. I remember that time when we drove 7 hours to Vienna, Austria. Thought an indoor park was going to be open. It actually was closed. Looked for another park for a few hours and then eventually found it late in the evening. In the excitement of going to ride, I forgot to attach my front wheel properly. I immediately went to jump up a small curb ( I was tired and didn't really notice something was wrong) and the rest is not a pleasant memory. Seeing the wheel fly away while you're in mid-air is not something you'd remember with joy.

|

3/26/2010 2:16 PM

Does anyone know what the current bunny hop record is? It's gotta be HUGE by now.

|

3/26/2010 2:35 PM

i know danny macaskill has 4 feet down at least

proof: v=MODmK7karGA ">

|

3/26/2010 2:50 PM

When I had my old Ford Ranger, I could bunny hop into the back, after a good trials ride, with the tail gate still up. Those were the days. . .

|

Job - Go-Ride.com
Bike - SuperCo Charger

3/27/2010 1:00 AM

Recently held a BunnyHop comp as part of our social MTB series here in Queenstown. We had a pumptrack party at the local jump park and some of the 20 boys joined in as well. Biggest by a 26er was 30 inches and the 20's went 36 before there was one man left standing. Pretty entertaining.

|

3/27/2010 6:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:18 AM

Could be better:
Photo
Photo

The trick is a variant of the bunny hop (bunny hop 'deux-temps' in french), it starts like a bunny hop, but you use the energy of the rear wheel hitting the wall to go a little higher.

Gilles Coustellier, 26" trial world champ 08 and 09, > 1.80

|

3/27/2010 9:57 AM

that's not really how hooks work. with that move you're yanking down against the front wheel on top of the object (and basically trying to break your fork). you take that staging point and use it to pull up to rear on top of it. rear wheel bounce on the wall doesnt do much for you to finish that move.

watching gilles, giaco, vince, kenny, who ever hook something is pretty damn impressive. i never got more than about 5 feet with the move. but really, i get a giddy satisfaction out of watching a huge bunnyhop more so than advanced trials stuff these days.

|

3/27/2010 3:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:11 PM

You're right.
It will never be as smooth as a bunnyhop.

I rode a lot of trial, but now, trial goes the wrong way (too technical, you can't ride with a bike anymore, etc.) and I don't have fun anymore riding it.
But I still use the moves I learned when riding street, a little bit like D. MacAskill or C. Akrigg, but without the talent tongue

|

3/27/2010 7:48 PM

I just remember when I was trying to learn the bloody things, and then I finally got. Then when I got it, had to hop onto ever curb and bench I could find. For days later my upper body was sore.

|

Hardtails can do everything duals can. Well... almost.

3/28/2010 2:28 AM

Let me set the stage for you...circa 1995, Berwick, Louisiana, DYNO Air with some sweet mags...there are girls at the post office, and I am riding with some buddies. (Enter 1' curb with 2' drop onto rocks) ...godDammit, never clip your rear , lest you love being the object of much laughter.

|

Ass Ass Ass

3/28/2010 12:27 PM

back in the little kid days if you couldnt bunny hop a curb there was no way you would win the race home from school, haha

|

3/28/2010 3:25 PM

When I used to race Jr.'s BMX as a little kid, this other racer had a hysterical race-dad who was always a general nuisance due to his constant yelling and over enthusiasm. I felt bad for the kid. Well anyway this was in like 1994, the time of the threaded headset. SO pops is tinkerin with the kids bike shortly before the final heat of the night. Gate drops. The kid was fast and he got to the first jump before everyone. As soon as he left the lip the stem pulled right out of the steerer tube, he ditched the bike, still holding the handlebars in his hands...with 5 other riders in mid air behind him. He got wadded up and ran over by myself and 2 other riders...Like I said I felt bad for the kid. After that incident I never saw him at the track again.

|

3/29/2010 12:17 PM

Does anyone remember a show called CrankTV? I think that was the name, it was on around '96 i think. Anyway when that show was on they would air a GT comercial with Dave Volker riding around with a side shot of him hopping up a curb. It was that ad that taught me the proper way to hop.

|

3/29/2010 5:17 PM

Dave Volker... Bicycle Extremist! Guess what tomorrow's history lesson was going to cover?

|