Best Or Worst Bike Mods and Riding Accessories

Related:
Kelz87
Edited Date/Time 11/10/2020 7:46pm
What’s been your favorite mods and/or riding accessories and what’s been a let down? Anything you’re wanting to try?

My Ergon GE1 grips have a slight bump at the index finger that helps me pitch the bike easier, and I rarely use gloves with them

I bought some Santic cycling shoes off Amazon-built like an XC clipless shoe, but are flat. Not very fashionable for the riding I do, but I like not having laces. Fit and feel have been great and they are stiff enough for me on descents, but comfortable to walk in

I’d like to try an oval chainring and maybe different hubs eventually
|
Johnboy
9/25/2020 5:30am
Made a DVC/Runt for my fork. Has been great so far 👍
rockchomper
9/25/2020 9:14am
The best for me has been going to Magura brakes nothing comes close, im more confident and faster plus they are super consistent brakes no fade, no pump up , no worries!!

the Biggest let down for me has to be the Assegai, I thought it was going to be all out traction but being so used to the large channel on the DHF I had to switch back, the DHF has a slight float zone and when I lean the bike it lets me know im on the side knobs, but the assegai I couldnt feel the float zone, so I thought well im not yet on the side knobs only to lean the bike more and end up on my face.
Kelz87
9/25/2020 11:59am
Johnboy wrote:
Made a DVC/Runt for my fork. Has been great so far 👍
I didn’t know about those-that definitely looks like something I’d like to try now. I’m going to look more into that!
Kelz87
9/25/2020 12:11pm
The best for me has been going to Magura brakes nothing comes close, im more confident and faster plus they are super consistent brakes no fade...
The best for me has been going to Magura brakes nothing comes close, im more confident and faster plus they are super consistent brakes no fade, no pump up , no worries!!

the Biggest let down for me has to be the Assegai, I thought it was going to be all out traction but being so used to the large channel on the DHF I had to switch back, the DHF has a slight float zone and when I lean the bike it lets me know im on the side knobs, but the assegai I couldnt feel the float zone, so I thought well im not yet on the side knobs only to lean the bike more and end up on my face.
I’ve heard good things about Magura. I have the Guide RS on my SB5.5 and I’m not completely sold on them, but I think it’s because the pistons have given me trouble twice

That’s surprising because the Assegai looks very aggressive, I never would have considered what you mentioned. I bought that tire last May, but traded it in on a different sized Specialized before actually installing it. I’m running the DHF now. My riding buddy wants to try the Assegai after losing his front end twice lol
rockchomper
9/25/2020 1:30pm
Kelz87 wrote:
I’ve heard good things about Magura. I have the Guide RS on my SB5.5 and I’m not completely sold on them, but I think it’s because...
I’ve heard good things about Magura. I have the Guide RS on my SB5.5 and I’m not completely sold on them, but I think it’s because the pistons have given me trouble twice

That’s surprising because the Assegai looks very aggressive, I never would have considered what you mentioned. I bought that tire last May, but traded it in on a different sized Specialized before actually installing it. I’m running the DHF now. My riding buddy wants to try the Assegai after losing his front end twice lol
If your going to get one upgrade for your bike I highly recommend Magura's. I am fully convinced nothing will improve your riding ability and riding experience like Magura brakes! plus the MT5's are relatively inexpensive.

Also I am sure the assegai is a great tire for some people but for me I was so accustomed to tires with a large channel I couldn't personally make it work for me, That and its no secret that tire is an anchor (very slow rolling)
Big Bird
9/25/2020 2:35pm
Customizing my own front suspension is definitely the most satisfying bike mod I've done. I've always left rear shocks to the professionals. Shout out to Jimmy Donahue. But I've always been right inside my forks going right way back to the Original Judy when I replaced my plastic cartridges in my living room at culinary school. I learned to rebuild those cartridges at the LBS. Tinkered with oil viscosities and levels in my Z1. Had all my Boxxers apart. Adjusted travel and damping shim stacks on my Manitou dirt jump and DH forks. Fun times with citizen science.

I also had a lot of fun making dirt jump stems for my mountain bike out of BMX stems. Certain models, like the S&M Redneck, had room to mill them out to fit 1 1/8th bars. then I'd attack them with a 7/8th ball end mill to lighten them up substantially.
rockchomper
9/25/2020 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 2:54pm
Big Bird wrote:
Customizing my own front suspension is definitely the most satisfying bike mod I've done. I've always left rear shocks to the professionals. Shout out to Jimmy...
Customizing my own front suspension is definitely the most satisfying bike mod I've done. I've always left rear shocks to the professionals. Shout out to Jimmy Donahue. But I've always been right inside my forks going right way back to the Original Judy when I replaced my plastic cartridges in my living room at culinary school. I learned to rebuild those cartridges at the LBS. Tinkered with oil viscosities and levels in my Z1. Had all my Boxxers apart. Adjusted travel and damping shim stacks on my Manitou dirt jump and DH forks. Fun times with citizen science.

I also had a lot of fun making dirt jump stems for my mountain bike out of BMX stems. Certain models, like the S&M Redneck, had room to mill them out to fit 1 1/8th bars. then I'd attack them with a 7/8th ball end mill to lighten them up substantially.
Drilling out a stem sounds Sketchy HAHA!! But on the topic of forks I have been wanting to try the new part from vorsprung the Secus. I am always a fan of having a plusher fork but that seems like alot of money to strap donkey kongs barrel to my fork. I'd be very interested to try one or hear a long term review!

@iceman2058
can we expect to see a review on the vorsprung secus??
w4s
9/25/2020 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 8:44pm
Big Bird wrote:
Customizing my own front suspension is definitely the most satisfying bike mod I've done. I've always left rear shocks to the professionals. Shout out to Jimmy...

Drilling out a stem sounds Sketchy HAHA!! But on the topic of forks I have been wanting to try the new part from vorsprung the Secus...
Drilling out a stem sounds Sketchy HAHA!! But on the topic of forks I have been wanting to try the new part from vorsprung the Secus. I am always a fan of having a plusher fork but that seems like alot of money to strap donkey kongs barrel to my fork. I'd be very interested to try one or hear a long term review!

@iceman2058
I bet getting your suspension rebuilt every 6 months (depending on how much you ride) will have a much greater impact on your suspension performance that adding stuff like this.
dolface
9/26/2020 8:28am
Pretty basic but:
- A couple of zip ties taped to my chainstay
- Quick link twist-tied to saddle rails
- valve core remover valve cap

- Love my oval chainring (Absolute Black)
- Hope V4 brakes are wonderful

I also taught myself to do most of my own suspension service (not including damper rebuilds) which is very satisfying and saves a fair bit of money. It also means my suspension always feels the way I like it.

Seconding the question above on a Secus review. At 63 kilos it looks like it might be a good option for me! @iceman2058
Big Bird
9/26/2020 8:41am
Drilling out a stem sounds Sketchy HAHA!! But on the topic of forks I have been wanting to try the new part from vorsprung the Secus...

@iceman2058
I did write Milled out, not Drilled out. So, washers on the bolts to provide for an appropriate gap and clamped down tight in the vice of a Bridgeport. Nothing sketchy about it if you have access to the right equipment.
t-stoff
9/28/2020 1:43am
in awe for now:
. I really like my Diaz RUNT!
. the luftkappe I had on my Pike.
. the Climp PRO feature on Garmin GPSs
. changing pages on the GPS by pressing buttons on the hood (DI2 road bike). I wish there was something for MTB.
. powermeters as a training tool

mehh:
. I hate most of the frame tire straps, I always end up modding them as they don't work well out of the box.
. having to find refs for quality bearings as you only get cheap bearings on really expensive bikes
. accessories are incredibly and stupidly expensive
. Shimano 12s chainlink sucks installing
. why don't enduro jerseys have back pockets? Function vs Coolness? tsk tsk.
. there's still no "Idiots guide to suspension setup".
Jakeepooh
10/15/2020 12:50pm
I went with the Archer D1x Trail electronic shifting setup, and I freaking love it.

Still, knowing myself for the sucker for new/weird tech that I am, I can't honestly say I'm sure if I like the setup for what it is or for what it represents in my head.
Kelz87
10/15/2020 4:09pm
Jakeepooh wrote:
I went with the Archer D1x Trail electronic shifting setup, and I freaking love it. Still, knowing myself for the sucker for new/weird tech that I...
I went with the Archer D1x Trail electronic shifting setup, and I freaking love it.

Still, knowing myself for the sucker for new/weird tech that I am, I can't honestly say I'm sure if I like the setup for what it is or for what it represents in my head.
Interesting, did you have to use an app to get it setup? How’s the battery life and charging work?
Kelz87
10/15/2020 4:11pm
t-stoff wrote:
in awe for now: . I really like my Diaz RUNT! . the luftkappe I had on my Pike. . the Climp PRO feature on Garmin...
in awe for now:
. I really like my Diaz RUNT!
. the luftkappe I had on my Pike.
. the Climp PRO feature on Garmin GPSs
. changing pages on the GPS by pressing buttons on the hood (DI2 road bike). I wish there was something for MTB.
. powermeters as a training tool

mehh:
. I hate most of the frame tire straps, I always end up modding them as they don't work well out of the box.
. having to find refs for quality bearings as you only get cheap bearings on really expensive bikes
. accessories are incredibly and stupidly expensive
. Shimano 12s chainlink sucks installing
. why don't enduro jerseys have back pockets? Function vs Coolness? tsk tsk.
. there's still no "Idiots guide to suspension setup".
Could you tell a big difference with the Diaz Runt?
Jakeepooh
10/15/2020 4:26pm
Kelz87 wrote:
Interesting, did you have to use an app to get it setup? How’s the battery life and charging work?
Yeah, the app is really really well done. Very clean and intuitive. The battery life is great. Most of my rides are 6-15 mile out and backs, 2-3 times a week and I charge the part that actually moves the derailer about every 6 weeks and the bar-mounted remote about half as often. It's a good thing a charge lasts so long because charging is a headache. You have remove the batteries and put them in the dedicated charger.
Jakeepooh
10/15/2020 4:28pm
You don't need the app to adjust the shifting while you ride, though. At least with the now recent model.
Jakeepooh
10/15/2020 4:32pm
Jakeepooh wrote:
Yeah, the app is really really well done. Very clean and intuitive. The battery life is great. Most of my rides are 6-15 mile out and...
Yeah, the app is really really well done. Very clean and intuitive. The battery life is great. Most of my rides are 6-15 mile out and backs, 2-3 times a week and I charge the part that actually moves the derailer about every 6 weeks and the bar-mounted remote about half as often. It's a good thing a charge lasts so long because charging is a headache. You have remove the batteries and put them in the dedicated charger.
6-15 miles total, not each way.
10/15/2020 5:44pm
OneUp pump - Well made from alloy works great. Stores the EDC tool inside or a CO2.

OneUp EDC tool. Let down. Hyped up by Pro riders for its storage convenience but its Fiddly. Hard to operate with gloves. Goes back together only one way with too many small pieces to loose on the side of the trail. Not enough leverage with small multi tool or tire levers.
TEAMROBOT
10/15/2020 7:57pm
Best upgrade: DH tires on enduro bike.

Worst upgrade: carbon rims on anything other than an elite-level TT bike.
w4s
10/15/2020 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 10:23pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
Best upgrade: DH tires on enduro bike.

Worst upgrade: carbon rims on anything other than an elite-level TT bike.
please explain: Worst upgrade: carbon rims on anything other than an elite-level TT bike.

I think I know what you're saying, my WAO rims are more direct than the Spank Vibrocore rims they replaced, but they also don't dent like the vibrocores, i think i've learned how to live with them, not all of us have pro level skills. I would really like to try the Zipp 3zero carbon rims to see if they're truly the unicorn between longevity and suppleness. also, Dh tires over Cushcores with exo+, explain your preference.

t-stoff
10/16/2020 12:16am
Kelz87 wrote:
Could you tell a big difference with the Diaz Runt?
Reviews were great everywhere, in particular one here on Vital.
Those made me buy it, cause I have a 36 RC2 from 2018 and the small bump/mid is not that great.
So before I pulled a Smashpot buy I went to the Runt. And it is way better than what I had because of the extra adjustability, but I think what lags behind is the Fox damper. So I still want to try something else in the future (maybe grip2), but I'm really happy as it gave a new life to my 36!
mwolpin
10/25/2020 8:07pm
OneUp pump - Well made from alloy works great. Stores the EDC tool inside or a CO2. OneUp EDC tool. Let down. Hyped up by Pro...
OneUp pump - Well made from alloy works great. Stores the EDC tool inside or a CO2.

OneUp EDC tool. Let down. Hyped up by Pro riders for its storage convenience but its Fiddly. Hard to operate with gloves. Goes back together only one way with too many small pieces to loose on the side of the trail. Not enough leverage with small multi tool or tire levers.
Absolutely agree with the EDC piece. I will say, the new v2 model is easier to remove and use.
senorbanana
10/25/2020 10:34pm
Jakeepooh wrote:
I went with the Archer D1x Trail electronic shifting setup, and I freaking love it. Still, knowing myself for the sucker for new/weird tech that I...

Idk bout archer, I tried it and it feels twice as slow as axs
Fred_Pop
10/26/2020 2:49am
The best for me has been going to Magura brakes nothing comes close, im more confident and faster plus they are super consistent brakes no fade...

Strange that you say that about the Assegai. I have found it corners better than my previous allround favorite the Magic Mary. I do find the Assgai to be more of a dry weather tire. I did cut out the small side/middle knobs so mud would clear better. Of course, when conditions are softer than I recommend the WTB Verdict wet. That tire has an insane amount of grip, it is my new favorite beating out the Dirty Dan.
Fred_Pop
10/26/2020 3:05am
Best change in the last few years was going to inserts and lighter tires. Started out with Schwalbe Procore and am now on Cushcore with tubolite tubes (thus avoiding the whole sealant mess). Now I adjust my tire pressure to the terrain I ride not to a number I know will reduce the chance I get a punture or dent my rims.
RobJ
10/26/2020 3:20am
Fred_Pop wrote:
Best change in the last few years was going to inserts and lighter tires. Started out with Schwalbe Procore and am now on Cushcore with tubolite...
Best change in the last few years was going to inserts and lighter tires. Started out with Schwalbe Procore and am now on Cushcore with tubolite tubes (thus avoiding the whole sealant mess). Now I adjust my tire pressure to the terrain I ride not to a number I know will reduce the chance I get a punture or dent my rims.
Can you share more specifics on your setup? Very interested to hear how the tubolito interacts with the cushcore within the tyre.

I assume the tube sits on the outside against the tyre carcass, but how does the valve fit through the cushcore and rim? What size wheel, tyre and tubolito are you running?
Jakeepooh
10/26/2020 5:13am
Idk bout archer, I tried it and it feels twice as slow as axs
You're right, I'm sure it is slower. So far, though, it's been bomb-proof, and like 1/4 the cost.
adamdigby
10/26/2020 11:39am
The absolute best: New set of tires with the right casing, tread, and compound for your riding.

The worst: Spending money on any part or accessory other than the above if your tires are worn out or not the correct casing, compound, and tread for your riding, even if the current set are brand new.

If you have a brand new set of correct tires, then purchase large platform pedals with long metal pins (at least 5mm sticking out, the hardware store is a great place to get new pins) and five tens (if a flat pedal rider). An alternative is purchasing brakes that don't require you to squeeeze them to lock up.

P.S. No part or accessory purchase will do more for your riding than a long weekend at a bike park or shuttle area with people faster than you. It's amazing how many places you'll notice yourself braking or turning unnecessarily when riding behind your "fast" buddy and he starts pulling away in the first corner.

Post a reply to: Best Or Worst Bike Mods and Riding Accessories

The Latest