Attending first ever World Cup/Champs - Les Gets - what to expect

ciechan
7/27/2022 7:51am
Hi guys,

I am finally planning to travel and see the world cup racing live. It's going to be Les Gets so World Champs which actually should make it better? Other option for me is a week later Val Di Sol.
1) What's better to see live - World Champs or grande finale on one of the most exciting tracks
2) Any tips/tricks to get the best experience out of it? Where are the best parties that spectators can mix in Wink
3) I am also planning to do a week of riding in Portes du Soleil after the World Champs, do you think it might be overcrowded due to the WC or it's so big that it won't make a difference?
4) any cool camping spots around Les Gets out of the way where I could stay with my van?

Thanks!
|
Kusa
7/27/2022 9:10am
There is a WC race week after in Val Di Sole so probably not crowded by extra UCI riders. However I think it will be overall pretty crowded by normal riders as everyone will want to see Champs + its end of the park season.

Best camping was always on parking in Chatel Wink I think anything close to Les Gets will be super crowded / not allowed.
Verbl Kint
7/27/2022 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2022 8:15pm
Get a full weekend pass, saves money and it's also less of a hassle. I would advise to watch World Champs even if it's a bit more crowded. IMHO, the bigger the crowd, the better the atmosphere! Wink

I also think you should go to Les Gets just because I don't think anyone will be able to challenge Amaury or Camille for the overall this year by the time VdS comes, so I think riders will likely go balls out at Les Gets compared to Val di Sole. And it is World Champs after all, riders do crazy things just to get the rainbow stripes!

A few other things:

1) Walk the pits, get to see the bikes and riders up close (if you hear any rumors, talk about it here Whistling ).
2) Don't drink too much, it's your first World Cup/Championship, so try to keep (a little) sober and soak in the experience. If you want to get sloshed, do it at the Men Elite final or after the race.
3) During Qualis/Practice, I would suggest going to the gnarlier parts of the track, just to see how these guys ride, and then move near the finish line during the Final. You will want to be at the finish bowl if it's a close race (which I think it will be in Les Gets).
4) Have spare cash ready at kiosks for food/drinks. The card terminals can sometimes be unreliable in the mountains.
5) Have earplugs ready in case the chainsaw dudes park themselves right next to you (bring one especially if you have kids with you). It can get really loud!
6) After the race, walk around and see if you can get to talk to the riders. Don't be shy, they're nice people and most of them appreciate talking to fans.
7) Have fun and enjoy! Cool
ciechan
7/28/2022 12:14am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2022 12:16am
Verbl Kint wrote:
Get a full weekend pass, saves money and it's also less of a hassle. I would advise to watch World Champs even if it's a bit...
Get a full weekend pass, saves money and it's also less of a hassle. I would advise to watch World Champs even if it's a bit more crowded. IMHO, the bigger the crowd, the better the atmosphere! Wink

I also think you should go to Les Gets just because I don't think anyone will be able to challenge Amaury or Camille for the overall this year by the time VdS comes, so I think riders will likely go balls out at Les Gets compared to Val di Sole. And it is World Champs after all, riders do crazy things just to get the rainbow stripes!

A few other things:

1) Walk the pits, get to see the bikes and riders up close (if you hear any rumors, talk about it here Whistling ).
2) Don't drink too much, it's your first World Cup/Championship, so try to keep (a little) sober and soak in the experience. If you want to get sloshed, do it at the Men Elite final or after the race.
3) During Qualis/Practice, I would suggest going to the gnarlier parts of the track, just to see how these guys ride, and then move near the finish line during the Final. You will want to be at the finish bowl if it's a close race (which I think it will be in Les Gets).
4) Have spare cash ready at kiosks for food/drinks. The card terminals can sometimes be unreliable in the mountains.
5) Have earplugs ready in case the chainsaw dudes park themselves right next to you (bring one especially if you have kids with you). It can get really loud!
6) After the race, walk around and see if you can get to talk to the riders. Don't be shy, they're nice people and most of them appreciate talking to fans.
That's such a solid advice mate, thanks a lot!
Some really good tips, will definitely keep them in mind Wink

Two quick questions:
1) Verbl Kint - "Get a full weekend pass" - you mean the uplift not to walk along the track?
2) Kusa - Parking in Chatel - that's at the bottom of the lift, right? (3800-3804, Rte de Pré la Joux, 74390 Châtel, France)?

Thanks again
sethimus
7/28/2022 11:13am
definitely les gets, french crowds are crazy
adamdigby
7/28/2022 11:45am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2022 11:46am
The course in Val di Sole is very much worth seeing in person, more so than the Les Gets track. I would also venture to say the crowds will be smaller which is a bonus in my eyes but your views might differ.
7/28/2022 1:18pm
Verbl Kint wrote:
Get a full weekend pass, saves money and it's also less of a hassle. I would advise to watch World Champs even if it's a bit...

A few other things:

ciechan wrote:
That's such a solid advice mate, thanks a lot! Some really good tips, will definitely keep them in mind ;) Two quick questions: 1) Verbl Kint...

Two quick questions:
1) Verbl Kint - "Get a full weekend pass" - you mean the uplift not to walk along the track?
2) Kusa - Parking in Chatel - that's at the bottom of the lift, right? (3800-3804, Rte de Pré la Joux, 74390 Châtel, France)?

Thanks again
The camping in Chatel is awesome, but it's two valleys away from Les Gets. about 1.5 hours by lift and bike. or 1 hour by car. anything in Morzine or Les Gets will be hard to find though.

World Champs is going to be way better than VDS I think.
Verbl Kint
7/29/2022 12:23am
ciechan wrote:
That's such a solid advice mate, thanks a lot! Some really good tips, will definitely keep them in mind ;) Two quick questions: 1) Verbl Kint...

Two quick questions:

Thanks again
https://www.lesgets2022.com/en/home/

I just checked and it seems the event is FREE to enter and watch so disregard my advice. Smile
lewzz10
7/29/2022 2:13am
At Les Gets WC 2019 you just needed a standard PDS lift pass to take the gondola up to the mid station too.

Post a reply to: Attending first ever World Cup/Champs - Les Gets - what to expect

The Latest

The Latest