All Things 2022 DH World Champs Les Gets

Edited Date/Time 9/1/2022 6:56pm
Wanna talk Worlds? Here's the place to do it! News, bike pics, gossip - post 'em if you got'em!

|
8/19/2022 5:21am
We're sad to report that Connor Fearon won't be able to attend Worlds due to a concussion suffered at the MSA World Cup. Below the full statement from the team:
----------------------------------------
Forbidden Synthesis factory rider and Australian national downhill champion, Connor Fearon, will miss the world championships in Les Gets and the World Cup finals in Val di Sole due to a concussion sustained in practice at the Mont-Sainte-Anne World Cup.

As some of you may have spotted, Connor did not make finals in MSA nor did he complete his qualification run the day before, pulling off-track midway through his run due to an unknown problem. The day before in practice, Connor had a few spills on track - nothing out of the ordinary for top DH riders getting to grips with the track - but one crash, in particular, left some lasting effects that we have only recently become fully aware of.

After abandoning his qualification run, Connor’s (and the team’s) strategy was to take stock of the situation and give him the necessary room to recuperate as they headed West to Whistler and Crankworx - a favourite of Connor’s and an event where he’s done well before. During the trip there, it became clear that something was seriously wrong and after some appointments with medical professionals in British Columbia, Connor was diagnosed with a concussion by the time you read this, will be back at home in Adelaide, South Australia.

“My attention, first and foremost, is always focused on the health and safety of the team. Travelling together as we have, for so many years, means we are more than just co-workers, but a tight-knit family group with a shared purpose and passion for racing. Working with Connor these past 11 years means we’ve had our fair share of hospital visits and ambulance rides, so for me, it is very hard to see him hurt and disappointed when he’s not able to race. He knows better than anyone that I prefer everyone to be safe rather than over-risking it and ending up injured, on the sidelines, and not racing.

But accidents can and do happen and Connor’s crash, during practice in Mont-Sainte-Anne, was nothing out of the ordinary, yet the knock he sustained to his head has resulted in a concussion. A bit battered and bruised, the rest of his body is fine, but concussions are thankfully now taken very seriously and after a week-and-a-half off the bike, we have decided that despite some improvements, Connor will sit out the upcoming world championships and World Cup finals.

Connor is understandably very disappointed and doesn’t want to let anyone down and ultimately, wants to show everyone how fast the new Forbidden downhill bike is. It’s the fastest bike he’s ridden to date and with such a short amount of time on it this summer, he’s yet to show its full potential. As with most injuries, the doctors are confident Connor will return to normal and heal over the coming weeks and come back more determined than ever.”
- Matt Dupelle, Forbidden Synthesis Team Manager

We wish Connor a speedy recovery and will keep you updated as and when we have any news to share regarding his progress and plans, once he’s cleared to ride again. The off-season in Australia is a busy one and Connor already has his eyes fixed on several events (including Crankworx, Cairns) to help prepare him for the World Cup circuit in 2023.
----------------------------
8/19/2022 5:56am
Entry lists for Les Gets:

Elite Men

Elite Women

Junior Men

Junior Women
nskerb
8/19/2022 9:25am
Will there be a full replay available in the US after the event happens? If there is I’m fine waiting and not fucking around with the hassle of a VPN thing. If there isn’t then I guess I’ll have to try it out.
8/19/2022 11:48am
I'm probably reading too much into it, but based on some of the comments I've heard in various videos from Syndicate riders, I'm wondering if we're going to see a new V10 for worlds.
luisgutrod
8/19/2022 12:26pm
sspomer wrote:
some les gets RAW from last year to get us stoked! would be sick if it stays as dry as in the course preview from fullattack...
some les gets RAW from last year to get us stoked! would be sick if it stays as dry as in the course preview from fullattack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qyasitIf9A
bone dry It wont be.. heavy rains today and after 6 weeks of sunshine.... and it will rain here and there over the week... perhaps it will clear up for the next weekend..
JVP
8/19/2022 12:41pm
Great to see Tahnee back racing!
trpfanboy
8/19/2022 1:00pm
JVP wrote:
Great to see Tahnee back racing!
She's not racing, she just made the national team selection.
JVP
8/19/2022 1:19pm
trpfanboy wrote:
She's not racing, she just made the national team selection.
I just checked her Insta, yeah sounds like still a while to go on the concussion recovery. Brain injuries are no joke, I hope she has a full recovery, and reasonably soon (racing or not).

So national teams will burn up a spot with riders who are injured? Seems it would be better to let another rider get that experience with her spot.
brash
8/19/2022 5:44pm
looks like I'll have to fire up the Botswana VPN.... wtf.
grinch
8/19/2022 8:50pm
Someone should break the news to these broadcasters as to how cheap mtbers are. They might figure out they should be content with the ratings for ad $'s
chrismckleroy
8/21/2022 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2022 2:48pm
Looking like rain in the forecast for the weekend.
8/21/2022 4:46pm
Seems very quiet on the media front. No travel, setup, track walk vlogs. Or am I just not patient enough?
JamesR_2026
8/21/2022 8:18pm
brash wrote:
looks like I'll have to fire up the Botswana VPN.... wtf.
I can't even find who has the Aus broadcast rights this year. Google comes up blank.
Doesn't look like SBS on demand or Kayo has it listed.
Looks like I'll have to fire up a VPN and pretend to be from Africa too.
Why is it like this every year?
8/21/2022 9:35pm
Does anybody know what the selection criteria for NZ is. Why didn't Wyn Masters get in? Surely a top 20 World Cup result is good enough?
Karabuka
8/22/2022 12:30am
Luminous1 wrote:
Seems very quiet on the media front. No travel, setup, track walk vlogs. Or am I just not patient enough?
Pretty much everyone is already there riding all the amazing trails area has to offer (Morzine, Chatel, Morgins, Champery are all accesible with lifts and single ticket) but as sspomer said, race only starts this week so it seems quiet before the storm!
deeboy
8/22/2022 4:43am
integralnz wrote:
Does anybody know what the selection criteria for NZ is. Why didn't Wyn Masters get in? Surely a top 20 World Cup result is good enough?
The NZL Selection Criteria is pretty straight forward. Be in the top 25% of last years worlds (only Tuhoto made this mark) then they fill the remaining spots (6) with the highest ranked riders with points gained from UCI event results up to & including Andorra. All very fair & black & white.

Unfortunately Wyn did his best results after the selection cut off (USA & CAD) once the selection had already be advised to riders.

But Wyn has mentioned that the UCI gives out too many UCI point for Oceania and Natioanls. This is where riders ahead of him in the ranking gained their points. As Wyn is Euro based its not worth coming to NZ or Aussie. So risked staying in Europe. Unfortunately that did not pay off this year.

Gutting, as he is on form in the wetter & techy conditions, and Les Gets looks to be wet.

But what do ya do now? Dump someone who qualified via the same method? Who makes that call to be subjective? Is being subjective after the fact fair on everyone?

sspomer
8/22/2022 9:48am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2022 9:49am
(sorry not trying to double-up what casey posted a few days ago - just some more direct links)

Albania, Slovakia, Sweden or UK can watch here
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/uci-mountain-bike-world-champions…

France can watch here

here is the list of NON-restricted countries to watch on redbull.tv
8/22/2022 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2022 11:20pm
integralnz wrote:
deeboy wrote:
The NZL Selection Criteria is pretty straight forward. Be in the top 25% of last years worlds (only Tuhoto made this mark) then they fill the...
The NZL Selection Criteria is pretty straight forward. Be in the top 25% of last years worlds (only Tuhoto made this mark) then they fill the remaining spots (6) with the highest ranked riders with points gained from UCI event results up to & including Andorra. All very fair & black & white.

Unfortunately Wyn did his best results after the selection cut off (USA & CAD) once the selection had already be advised to riders.

But Wyn has mentioned that the UCI gives out too many UCI point for Oceania and Natioanls. This is where riders ahead of him in the ranking gained their points. As Wyn is Euro based its not worth coming to NZ or Aussie. So risked staying in Europe. Unfortunately that did not pay off this year.

Gutting, as he is on form in the wetter & techy conditions, and Les Gets looks to be wet.

But what do ya do now? Dump someone who qualified via the same method? Who makes that call to be subjective? Is being subjective after the fact fair on everyone?

Well summarised, I get it now. Fair enough. I hope he still shows up to support the team and pump them on Wyn TV
hardboiled
8/22/2022 1:49pm
sspomer wrote:
for USA peeps, here's the link to the flobikes.com website to watch world champs live. it is not free. https://www.flobikes.com/live/25091

how was the broadcast/commentary on Flosports last year? I spent a couple hours trying to do the VPN thing on my work machine and never got it to work. I think a replay popped up on youtube or something that bailed me out but I don't even feel like dealing with the hassle this year. of course Flosports doesn't seem to have pricing anywhere on their website without registering...ominous sign.
adamdigby
8/22/2022 2:30pm
The Opera browser's free built-in VPN has worked on Red Bull for me the past few years in the USA in Colorado on Spectrum and Washington state on a different ISP. I'd avoid FloSports' silly pricing and pay structure at all costs.
8/22/2022 2:37pm
sspomer wrote:
for USA peeps, here's the link to the flobikes.com website to watch world champs live. it is not free. https://www.flobikes.com/live/25091

hardboiled wrote:
how was the broadcast/commentary on Flosports last year? I spent a couple hours trying to do the VPN thing on my work machine and never got...
how was the broadcast/commentary on Flosports last year? I spent a couple hours trying to do the VPN thing on my work machine and never got it to work. I think a replay popped up on youtube or something that bailed me out but I don't even feel like dealing with the hassle this year. of course Flosports doesn't seem to have pricing anywhere on their website without registering...ominous sign.
Pretty bad. Guy knows the field but is far from an exciting commentator. They also don’t edit the replay into a better format it’s just like 5 hrs with a bunch of weird shit in between womens and mens broadcast. At one point the announcer is on the broadcast and is unaware and says I hope this guy doesn’t get in the hotseat that’s going to mess up my intro.
sspomer
8/22/2022 2:45pm
Grinning at broadcaster flub.

flobikes.com pricing is approx $150/year IIRC and i think that's the only option available.
ernie
8/23/2022 2:37am
sspomer wrote:
(sorry not trying to double-up what casey posted a few days ago - just some more direct links) Albania, Slovakia, Sweden or UK can watch here...
(sorry not trying to double-up what casey posted a few days ago - just some more direct links)

Albania, Slovakia, Sweden or UK can watch here

France can watch here

here is the list of NON-restricted countries to watch on redbull.tv
This might be the first time that living in Ethiopia is bringing a clear win.... thanks sspomer!

Post a reply to: All Things 2022 DH World Champs Les Gets

The Latest