All-Mountain Tires?

aj-monkey
12/6/2010 7:55pm
BeigeWolf wrote:
REAL DH TIRES AND A NICE PAIR OF MAN-QUADS.
LOL, awesome! Good to hear that the EXO Minions are going well, as I plan on removing my dh minions and High roller from my am machine, and lightening it up with a pair of these.
oldmandave
12/6/2010 10:20pm
Maxxis HR 2.35 UST Fr and R this past season and most seasons, in fact. Did the Crossmark 2.25 Fr and 2.1 R the previous season and was very much surprised at how well they did with regards to durability and cornering traction. Would have done HR 2.35 Fr and Crossmark 2.25 R but the Crossmark is actually bigger than the HR and just looked. . . retarded. Couldn't do it. Tried to go down to HR 2.1 in Fr and R and just wasn't enough tire. Totally different profile compared to the 2.35.

Dying to know more about the Specialized low cost DHF/DHR. . . I mean Butcher and Clutch. UST compatible? Anybody compare them to the Maxxis equivalent?
12/6/2010 10:24pm
The magic combo is Minion DHF 2.35 and an Aspen 2.25 rear. Aspen is awesome for getting your drift on whilst the Minion holds steady and keeps the front tracking well.
mulestar
12/7/2010 7:51am
oldmandave wrote:
Maxxis HR 2.35 UST Fr and R this past season and most seasons, in fact. Did the Crossmark 2.25 Fr and 2.1 R the previous season...
Maxxis HR 2.35 UST Fr and R this past season and most seasons, in fact. Did the Crossmark 2.25 Fr and 2.1 R the previous season and was very much surprised at how well they did with regards to durability and cornering traction. Would have done HR 2.35 Fr and Crossmark 2.25 R but the Crossmark is actually bigger than the HR and just looked. . . retarded. Couldn't do it. Tried to go down to HR 2.1 in Fr and R and just wasn't enough tire. Totally different profile compared to the 2.35.

Dying to know more about the Specialized low cost DHF/DHR. . . I mean Butcher and Clutch. UST compatible? Anybody compare them to the Maxxis equivalent?
The butcher and clutch are both great DH tires! The clutch has been my go-to for most DH stuff for the last year. The rubber compound is grippy but they last longer than one would expect. Wider center knobs give you better braking in soft stuff than minion DHF's. I've been happy with both, although I wouldn't call them "low cost"
quasibinaer
12/7/2010 3:35pm
I used Maxxis Ardents in 2,4 both front and rear (not a big fan of mixing when I don´t know both tires very well) and was happy with them, they even held up to heavier duty use in the Bikepark. I sold that bike recently and got Conti rubber queens (2,4/BlackChiliCompound) instead for the new rig. If they don´t work I´ll go back to Ardents or try some Schwalbe rubber. Gonna build that up next weekend - given the missing parts arrive on time - and post back some info then.
MikeHoncho
12/7/2010 5:04pm
WTB Wolverine 2.2 rear and NEW Weirwolf 2.3 front. TCS casing for both, super nice sidewall on these, way better than XC. super sweet combo!
12/8/2010 5:34pm
This discussion is kinda worthless without knowing what kind of trails people are riding! Smile
Here on the dry, dusty rocks of Colorado, I have been enjoying a Piranha 2.3" UST rear and Big Betty 2.4" SS front, running both on tubeless rims with sealant. I am hesitant to run anything lighter in the rear since thinner sidewalls require higher pressures which leads to less grip. Bigger single ply tires on the rear tend to fold over on all mountain rims at pressures adequate to resist pinch-flatting. I tried a Nobby Nic 2.4" on the back, and it was epic fail. Same thing on the front - they require too much pressure to not fold. Same for Racing Ralph and Big Betty 2.4" SS on the rear.
But, a lot of people around here in CO tend to care more about pedaling up and around than descending, so I see a lot of people running skinny tires at high pressures. If that's you, then my tire choices won't help you. But if you like to descend faster and push harder, BB front Piranha rear works for me.
But since I'm a tire whore, I'm anxious to try the Wicked Will 2.35" F & R, and the UST 2.35" Slant 6 when it comes out.
JimEG
12/8/2010 7:44pm
Intense Tracer
Pacific Northwest
Clay, loam, roots, rocks

Schwalbe

2.4 Rocket Ron's F/R (fast)
or
2.4 Nobby Nic's F/R (traction in dirt)
or
2.4 Big Betty F/R (tough and sticky)

18-24 PSI tooblesssss
drewfis
12/8/2010 7:47pm
hey guys you should try out the WTB bronson 2.3 AM TCS and the mutano tires am TCS, the bonsons not yet out yet be its going to to be here vary soon and will totally be worth the wate
JimEG
12/11/2010 4:22pm
Saw the Bronson at a race this fall. Looks promising. Wish the 2.3 was a real 2.3. Had a pair of 2.3 new generation WW's, more like 2.1's.
Castle
12/17/2010 8:02am
I'm currently running the 2.3 Butcher SX, I haven't been riding it long enough to really make a valid review but I'm stoked to try them. The tread pattern looks like the DHF and the rubber feels really nice, I'm somewhat concerned about wear, I don't mind a harder rubber for trail riding. I'm hoping it will handle similarly to a Minion DHF. I like the 2.3 size of this tire, it's a good bit bigger then the maxxis offering in the 2.35 and it doesn't have the huge round sidewalls that some of the 2.35 and 2.4 tires in this flavor sometimes have; I personally don't care for these "high volume" tires with big bubble sidewalls. I've got 4 rides in on them (butcher sx) so far. I'm primarily using them for rougher trails that I would normally pinch single ply's on frequently. So far no flats so that's a plus, they seem to roll nicely, not as fast as a true single ply option but good enough. Cornering so far has been predictable, they do break much better then lighter tires; but not as well as 2ply DHF's. random note: It could just be my eyes but the tread blocks seem taller then most when new, so maybe that will help with wear, I haven't noticed any squirm from the taller blocks.

When on smoother trails..

I'll run the Chunder in a 2.35 folding bead single ply up front and a maxxis 2.35 highroller out back. I siped the center tread block down the middle; like every 3rd center block I just added the same slot that ran down the center to make it more like a DHF as far as breaking. I was truthfully unable to notice a difference; I do still think it would help shed mud and bite in harder.

If the trails are really dry and smooth I'll throw a Kenda 2.35 small block out back, it rolls noticeably better.

my .02 cents

Post a reply to: All-Mountain Tires?

The Latest