Accessibility Widget: On | Off

2023 TEAM RUMORS

Create New Tag

8/8/2022 9:26 AM

i don't know anything concrete, but would have to imagine there's discussion and negotiation happening to some degree. or at least i'd hope so?

|

8/8/2022 9:43 AM

File this one under "wild rumors" but....

My city's "Cycling Coordinator" recently flew to the MSA world cup to "scout out the possibility of bringing an event here"

Now, I haven't spoken with him. I only saw that he was there on his Instagram and talked to someone else I know who works for the city and is into biking, and that person told me the above.

I could definitely see Fayetteville making a play for a World Cup XC weekend (already hosted a US Cup XC Event and Cyclocross Worlds), but I see zero possibility for a DH track in the immediate vicinity, unless you're going to make the shortest DH track in existence.

But I did think the timing was interesting with ESO probably starting to look for new venues and such. It could have also been a totally informal junket where he was just going up there to check things out and learn about hosting larger events of this nature.

|

8/8/2022 10:01 AM

hogfly wrote:

My city's "Cycling Coordinator" recently flew to the MSA world cup to "scout out ...more

That must have been a visit to scope out an XC World Cup since Fayetteville just hosted the CX World Champs earlier this year and has/will host UCI World/C1/C2 events. I believe they did have a Pro Cup race there as well, so they have the trail for XC and the infrastructure from CX.

|

8/8/2022 10:07 AM

hogfly wrote:

My city's "Cycling Coordinator" recently flew to the MSA world cup to "scout out ...more

Masjo wrote:

That must have been a visit to scope out an XC World Cup since Fayetteville just hosted the CX World Champs earlier this year ...more

Yeah. We've had a Pro Cup. It was cool when I was at US Nationals this year and people were all saying at the base, "I wish they had big jumbo viewing screens set up like they did in Fayetteville."

We actually do have the elevation for a DH track in the region, (something similar to Windrock) just not near the existing XC/CX venue, so there would be no infrastructure in place at this point for a DH track.

|

8/8/2022 11:10 AM

#bringbackHafjell.

|

8/8/2022 11:44 AM

sspomer wrote:

Eliot Jackson not announcing next year? His recent insta post - ...more

schwaaa31 wrote:

Damnit. I want to have hope for the next few years, but I’m afraid it’s going to be a shit show. Losing Warner really is ...more

Has anyone considered that after 15yrs of doing the commentary gig, RW might just be keen to do something else?
He's likely still got a contract with redbull so won't lose any money until it lapses.

I'm worried that they'll pull out a retired soccer player to do the commentary, but there's a hope that It might get better.

|

8/8/2022 11:56 AM

sspomer wrote:

Eliot Jackson not announcing next year? His recent insta post - ...more

schwaaa31 wrote:

Damnit. I want to have hope for the next few years, but I’m afraid it’s going to be a shit show. Losing Warner really is ...more

Nzdinosaur wrote:

Has anyone considered that after 15yrs of doing the commentary gig, RW might just be keen to do something else?
He's likely ...more

Not based off the comments he's made, no.

The Wyn comment on the last page doing commentary might be the only glimmer of hope in my eyes. I can see Claudio making the move as there's been very little I've heard out of him about what's going on, maybe I missed it though. Wyn and Claudio might work. Might not.

|

8/8/2022 12:35 PM

hogfly wrote:

Masjo wrote:

That must have been a visit to scope out an XC World Cup since Fayetteville just hosted the CX World Champs earlier this year ...more

hogfly wrote:

Yeah. We've had a Pro Cup. It was cool when I was at US Nationals this year and people were all saying at the base, "I wish ...more

I heard something about this years ago – specifically about a WC DH course down there. Something about Lake Leatherwood?

I suppose the Walmart heirs could just buy a mountain and transport it to Arkansas. A Walmart DH track could be quite something – riders would have to deal with the usual drops, gaps, etc, but also watch out for falling prices.

|

MRP - VP of Business Dev.

8/8/2022 1:02 PM

NoahColorado wrote:

I heard something about this years ago – specifically about a WC DH course down there. Something about Lake Leatherwood?

I ...more

Mobility scooters for the uplift.

|

8/8/2022 1:05 PM

Masjo wrote:

hogfly wrote:

Yeah. We've had a Pro Cup. It was cool when I was at US Nationals this year and people were all saying at the base, "I wish ...more

NoahColorado wrote:

I ...more

Leatherwood doesn't have enough elevation, really. The main rumors of actual DH tracks have centered on Mt. Magazine which has a similar prominence to Angelfire. There was a lot of talk about a chairlift going in there, but that seems to have fizzled. Rumor is that it was because the infrastructure didn't exist to support that much traffic.

The latest rumor I've heard is Queen Wilhelmina State Park, which just received a large grant to develop trails there. It also DOES have adequate prominence from what I understand. Rumors at US Nats amount the Arkansas contingent was that they may be making a bid to host Nats there in a few years.

Finally, the real shame is that a little south of Fayetteville along the i49 corridor and along old 71 has tons of amazing, steep terrain with lots of elevation. There just doesn't seem to be any interest by the powers that be in developing that areas, though. There has been some private development of a DH track there, but they only have 400ft or so of the mountain. The trails are solid, though.

|

8/8/2022 3:06 PM

If NORBA could host the 2006 DH National Championships on a 2 minute course with 400 feet of vert above an asphalt race track in Sonoma, CA....anything is possible. laughing

|

8/8/2022 8:00 PM

dirty booger wrote:

If NORBA could host the 2006 DH National Championships on a 2 minute course with 400 feet of vert above an asphalt race track ...more

Damn. I'm glad I was out of racing by then.

|

8/8/2022 11:33 PM

Just remember there was a world cup DH in Calgary at C.O.P./winsport..... This is it in the winter and while the bike park is mainly off to west side of the bobsled track (yes the one from cool runnings), the elevation only drops a few more meters to the right of this photo.

It was Sam Hill's least favorite world cup ever. There's legit two road crossings, one of which is into a neighborhood.

Photo

|

8/8/2022 11:41 PM

09 Worlds in Canberra, My driveway has more elevation drop.

|

8/9/2022 9:22 AM

metadave wrote:

Just remember there was a world cup DH in Calgary at C.O.P./winsport..... This is it in the winter and while the bike park is ...more

Rumours of Nakiska getting lift access in a few years...

|

Hung over, off the back.

8/9/2022 10:31 AM

metadave wrote:

Just remember there was a world cup DH in Calgary at C.O.P./winsport..... This is it in the winter and while the bike park is ...more

pinkrobe wrote:

Rumours of Nakiska getting lift access in a few years...

I've heard. I think RCR saw everything take off the last two seasons and wants that sweet sweet $$$. At least they do have some elevation there.

|

8/9/2022 10:38 AM

rumor of the day is whistler getting a WC round next year and that schedule announced this weekend. if ever there was a "triple event" venue, whistler is obviously it. maybe it's announced during crankworx? again, no idea how sound these rumors are, so I'll keep holding breath like everyone else.

|

8/9/2022 11:27 AM

can you even get a wc with no test race before?

|

8/9/2022 11:48 AM

sethimus wrote:

good question. if any venue could navigate around that detail, whistler would prob be it.

|

8/9/2022 12:24 PM

Some crankworks events are on redbull tv. Seems like it might be an odd choice for disco/eso to announce their stuff during a rb sponsored (or at least streamed) event. But idk?

|

8/9/2022 12:55 PM

sethimus wrote:

BC Cup or even a Phat Wednesday.
I think with running Crankworx for the past 17 years the events team likely could do it no problem

|

8/9/2022 1:12 PM

sspomer wrote:

rumor of the day is whistler getting a WC round next year and that schedule announced this weekend. if ever there was a ...more

This would be sick as long as it doesn't wind up with Ste Anne being chopped as a North American venue... hard to imagine after that race but who knows.

|

8/9/2022 1:27 PM

With discovery coming into produce maybe there is a change in other sponsors for world cups? Whistler is sram, uci is shimano. I’ve heard in the past that all SRAM and monster branding would have to be blocked for the World Cup broadcasts, which would make creekside hosting finish area and not main village. Anybody on the ground there know of construction room of a new track in the creekside area?

|

8/9/2022 1:57 PM

if there gonna do anything positive hopefully its environmental like not having wasteful plastic coarse tape or dont allow tearoffs

|

8/9/2022 1:58 PM

lloyd506 wrote:

With discovery coming into produce maybe there is a change in other sponsors for world cups? Whistler is sram, uci is shimano. ...more

Creekside

|

8/9/2022 5:07 PM

For all the suspicion and distrust that's been heaped onto ESO-Discovery from the mtb community, a Whistler world cup would be a great move.

|

8/9/2022 8:07 PM

@lloyd506 yes, the plan for the "1199" world cup DH track is for it to finish at the Creekside base area. They raced the upper part of 1199 track last weekend in the EWS. I assume most or all of the rest of the track is completed by now. Was supposed to be done a couple years ago.

|

8/10/2022 2:24 AM

metadave wrote:

ESO boss Chris Ball protesting the Calgary WC by riding only in his underwear

Photo

|

8/10/2022 2:39 AM

hogfly wrote:

Bentonville - EWS
Fayetteville - XCC/XCO

|

8/10/2022 2:56 AM

|