2022 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

Related:
Jrp
1/18/2022 11:03am
JerseyMojo wrote:
Any news on what Matt Stuttard’s riding?
He’s on the new pologon team
1/18/2022 12:38pm
Erik Fedko on YT [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/01/18/11886/s1200_Screenshot_2022_01_18_19_10_57_499_com.instagram.android.jpg[/img]
Erik Fedko on YT
Maybe this screenshot will help if you don't, believe me, 😉
westrm
1/18/2022 5:19pm
I think this one got missed but Raphaela Richter on a pro contract with Ibis racing EWS. I often had her in my fantasy teams thanks to her affordability, perhaps her price will go up!
Darth_Sloth
1/18/2022 11:32pm
Confirmation of Pivots sponsors this year, inc. Conti and Leatt.

swadd1er
1/19/2022 12:28am
Looks like Barelli has gold TRP brakes in his recent Instagram story. Coil shock too that looks like a Storia
fishman
1/19/2022 2:17am
JerseyMojo wrote:
Any news on what Matt Stuttard’s riding?
Jrp wrote:
He’s on the new pologon team
Saw him at dyfi bike park on Sunday, yeah he was on a polygon, still ohlins suspension and hunt wheels, that could just be because if component shortages though.

1/19/2022 5:02am
I posted about the Intense lookslikea… in the tech rumors forum. Can confirm it had a frame wrap on it like all other intense protons, and...
I posted about the Intense lookslikea… in the tech rumors forum. Can confirm it had a frame wrap on it like all other intense protons, and it also had a black fabric cover over the main frame. Split pivot (abp) rear end with very Waterloo like cable guides. Compared it to an un camouflaged bike and it looked strikingly similar.
kcy4130 wrote:
Dam, I know pros will ride/test bikes from other companies when testing/developing a bike to have more data points and as a sort of sanity check...
Dam, I know pros will ride/test bikes from other companies when testing/developing a bike to have more data points and as a sort of sanity check or palette cleanser. But if he is actually riding a trek (with intense colors) semi-publicly that says a lot. I'm completely speculating here, but maybe it's Gwin's way of trying to light a fire under Stebner? Very interesting.
Gwin was pretty quick on a Trek previously...Laughing

Also sounds like the days of Intense fabricating protos and stuff in-house is no more. Which could explain the crappy development frames and disconnect seen the last few years.
kcy4130
1/19/2022 6:11am
Gwin was pretty quick on a Trek previously...:laugh: Also sounds like the days of Intense fabricating protos and stuff in-house is no more. Which could explain...
Gwin was pretty quick on a Trek previously...Laughing

Also sounds like the days of Intense fabricating protos and stuff in-house is no more. Which could explain the crappy development frames and disconnect seen the last few years.
Remember in the late 90s early 2000s, when lots of racers (who were sponsored by a bike company that didn't make a real dh bike) were riding an Intense M1 that was rebranded with the colors/stickers of their sponsor? It'd be the height of irony if intense sponsored riders in 2022 raced a trek that's been rebranded as an intense!
derelict
1/19/2022 6:18am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 6:25am
Edthorne wrote:
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that Intense is testing other brands bikes right now, and suggested that the bike in that picture is a Session...
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that Intense is testing other brands bikes right now, and suggested that the bike in that picture is a Session. I don't remember who it was but I'm sure you could find it a couple pages back.
Couple of points on this. Intense actually reposted this picture on their Instagram. I highly doubt they would do so if it wasn't one of their...
Couple of points on this. Intense actually reposted this picture on their Instagram. I highly doubt they would do so if it wasn't one of their bikes. Secondly, I highly doubt Gwin would be in a more public setting like this testing other bikes. My guess is that testing occurred last year which resulted in the production of this steed.
Call me crazy but look at the rear suspension. I think it looks different. The seat stays are very high and it looks like a rocker up top rather than the system they have been running.

Related: What is the final verdict on why Neko left? Was it the bike (interviews point at that)? Was it program/ sponsors as a whole (not a ton of crossover when he went indie)? His videos, granted they are all hero shots, show him flowing and in ways that I have not seen him in some time.
tullie
1/19/2022 6:32am
Edthorne wrote:
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that Intense is testing other brands bikes right now, and suggested that the bike in that picture is a Session...
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that Intense is testing other brands bikes right now, and suggested that the bike in that picture is a Session. I don't remember who it was but I'm sure you could find it a couple pages back.
Couple of points on this. Intense actually reposted this picture on their Instagram. I highly doubt they would do so if it wasn't one of their...
Couple of points on this. Intense actually reposted this picture on their Instagram. I highly doubt they would do so if it wasn't one of their bikes. Secondly, I highly doubt Gwin would be in a more public setting like this testing other bikes. My guess is that testing occurred last year which resulted in the production of this steed.
derelict wrote:
Call me crazy but look at the rear suspension. I think it looks different. The seat stays are very high and it looks like a rocker...
Call me crazy but look at the rear suspension. I think it looks different. The seat stays are very high and it looks like a rocker up top rather than the system they have been running.

Related: What is the final verdict on why Neko left? Was it the bike (interviews point at that)? Was it program/ sponsors as a whole (not a ton of crossover when he went indie)? His videos, granted they are all hero shots, show him flowing and in ways that I have not seen him in some time.
Probably frames and tires
JoseMPM
1/19/2022 6:41am
Well, looks like Izabella will indeed just get support from Spesh but not be part of the Gravity team after all.

Aikata
1/19/2022 6:49am
JoseMPM wrote:
Well, looks like Izabella will indeed just get support from Spesh but not be part of the Gravity team after all. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/01/19/11892/s1200_4D15265C_E3E3_48AA_BF1F_05E374B37532.jpg[/img]
Well, looks like Izabella will indeed just get support from Spesh but not be part of the Gravity team after all.

Not sure,she was with them in Spain,i think she got home,because she is still going to school Smile
hogfly
1/19/2022 6:55am
derelict wrote:
Call me crazy but look at the rear suspension. I think it looks different. The seat stays are very high and it looks like a rocker...

I mean, no one can really get inside Neko's head and say why, but I think it's pretty clear he didn't get along with the Intense bike that much.

That being said: I think it's also pretty clear that Neko is a different breed and has a lot of interests alongside his racing. He definitely seems to have an entrepreneurial mindset and enjoys taking on diverse challenges. I know a lot of businessmen like him who are inspired by new challenges and new undertakings. So... while there may have been some negatives associated with Intense that inspired the decision, I think it' more about the positives associated with Neko's personality and growth mindset that led to this decision to create his own path forward.

derelict
1/19/2022 7:07am
JoseMPM wrote:
Well, looks like Izabella will indeed just get support from Spesh but not be part of the Gravity team after all. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/01/19/11892/s1200_4D15265C_E3E3_48AA_BF1F_05E374B37532.jpg[/img]

Are legs that make up 3/4 of your overall body now a requirement to race for them?
hogfly
1/19/2022 7:18am
iceman2058 wrote:
Here's the official Fedko to YT announcement.
So will they bring bake the Play for him to compete in slopestyle on?

YT marketing decisions are weird. Abandon racing programs (while mainly making trail bikes) and sign a bunch of hybrid slope/bmx/freeriders (Fedko and Stark) while not actually having a ton of offerings in those categories.

derelict
1/19/2022 7:32am
iceman2058 wrote:
hogfly wrote:
So will they bring bake the Play for him to compete in slopestyle on? YT marketing decisions are weird. Abandon racing programs (while mainly making trail...

YT marketing decisions are weird. Abandon racing programs (while mainly making trail bikes) and sign a bunch of hybrid slope/bmx/freeriders (Fedko and Stark) while not actually having a ton of offerings in those categories.

Freeride/ slopestyle is cheaper. A lot cheaper.
der5te
1/19/2022 9:50am
since when is the claw off redbull?
stefkrger
1/19/2022 9:54am
iceman2058 wrote:
hogfly wrote:
So will they bring bake the Play for him to compete in slopestyle on? YT marketing decisions are weird. Abandon racing programs (while mainly making trail...

derelict wrote:
Freeride/ slopestyle is cheaper. A lot cheaper.
You sure about that? Remember a survey on the other site which revealed that freeride and especially slopestyle riders were making the most money in mtb world.
hogfly
1/19/2022 10:00am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 10:04am
stefkrger wrote:
You sure about that? Remember a survey on the other site which revealed that freeride and especially slopestyle riders were making the most money in mtb...
You sure about that? Remember a survey on the other site which revealed that freeride and especially slopestyle riders were making the most money in mtb world.
But I think it's cheaper to support a slope/freeride program than a racing program (not talking about just rider salaries).

A race team needs a ton of support from manager to mechanics to physios to cooks. Plus, you're handling the travel arrangements for the entire team and support staff and equipment. Freeriders and slope riders are almost self-supported. So, yes, you may have to pay the rider's salary and some travel budget, but you're not also paying for an entire support staff to go along with the rider.

I mean racer support: we need the mechanic to put on a new chain after every run, new wheels after this race, restroke this shock.. cancel that... we're going with a coil shock this weekend, acquire new tires before race run, the physio needs to go over the racer and nutritionist needs to adjust the macros before next race.

Dylan Stark support; yo.. can I get another bong rip before we do this shoot?

metadave
1/19/2022 10:01am
der5te wrote:
He made the announcement two days ago
der5te
1/19/2022 10:05am
der5te wrote:
metadave wrote:
thx meta!
stefkrger
1/19/2022 10:31am
stefkrger wrote:
You sure about that? Remember a survey on the other site which revealed that freeride and especially slopestyle riders were making the most money in mtb...
hogfly wrote:
But I think it's cheaper to support a slope/freeride program than a racing program (not talking about just rider salaries). A race team needs a ton...
But I think it's cheaper to support a slope/freeride program than a racing program (not talking about just rider salaries).

A race team needs a ton of support from manager to mechanics to physios to cooks. Plus, you're handling the travel arrangements for the entire team and support staff and equipment. Freeriders and slope riders are almost self-supported. So, yes, you may have to pay the rider's salary and some travel budget, but you're not also paying for an entire support staff to go along with the rider.

I mean racer support: we need the mechanic to put on a new chain after every run, new wheels after this race, restroke this shock.. cancel that... we're going with a coil shock this weekend, acquire new tires before race run, the physio needs to go over the racer and nutritionist needs to adjust the macros before next race.

No question a DH factory team will be more expensive than a single slope/freerider. However, the mob was never a factory team. YT was just the frame/main sponsor. But of course I have no idea about exact budgets for either option
mixmastamikal
1/19/2022 11:00am
stefkrger wrote:
hogfly wrote:
But I think it's cheaper to support a slope/freeride program than a racing program (not talking about just rider salaries). A race team needs a ton...

stefkrger wrote:
No question a DH factory team will be more expensive than a single slope/freerider. However, the mob was never a factory team. YT was just the...
No question a DH factory team will be more expensive than a single slope/freerider. However, the mob was never a factory team. YT was just the frame/main sponsor. But of course I have no idea about exact budgets for either option
But even as you said they were the main/title sponsor so probably handling the majority of the budget.

airwreck
1/19/2022 11:07am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 11:12am
der5te wrote:
metadave wrote:
Been a while since he's had a bike sponsor, does he not want one? It's hard to recognize what bike he is riding, Demo? Tried looking closer at latest video from Mexico and can't recognize. His trail bike looks like it could be a canyon.

metadave
1/19/2022 12:10pm
stefkrger wrote:
hogfly wrote:

stefkrger wrote:
No question a DH factory team will be more expensive than a single slope/freerider. However, the mob was never a factory team. YT was just the...
I would say DH racing puts way more stress on a company for R&D even if they're just a frame sponsor. Just imagine how much has been out into DH over the last 7-8 (2014-2021) years as far as geo, kinematics and wheel size redesigns compared to the 13 years before (2001-2013).

The older gen bikes slowly developed geo and some kinematics but a bike from 5 years before could arguably be competitive on race day. Once wheel sizes started to change, bike development went wild. How many mules did each company have to build to get everything right for 275, only to have all of those bikes, their expensive carbon molds made moot overnight with 29 and then have that half flipped to mullet for a bike that sells in the hundreds, maybe thousands for YT, Commencal and Canyon.

Meanwhile for slope, although the bikes have most certainly evolved a lot in slope, you could arguably use a 10+ year old bike with barely any updates or a copy paste catalog frame and win a comp with an order of 50 bikes that they'll sell to dirt jump kids in 24h and throw and throw entry free and a few bucks for gas, beer and tacos to the rider who sleeps on their local friends mom's basement couch.

And free ride they take the current Enduro or a last gen DH and send it until it breaks.
1/19/2022 1:06pm
der5te wrote:
metadave wrote:
airwreck wrote:
Been a while since he's had a bike sponsor, does he not want one? It's hard to recognize what bike he is riding, Demo? Tried looking...
Been a while since he's had a bike sponsor, does he not want one? It's hard to recognize what bike he is riding, Demo? Tried looking closer at latest video from Mexico and can't recognize. His trail bike looks like it could be a canyon.

probably hard to get one when you're not doing contests or big projects apart from the occasional film. It's a shame because he's such a legend but I guess brands don't see the return of investment.

He's still on his Sender and Torque afaik.

Post a reply to: 2022 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest