2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

5/28/2020 10:03pm
COVID might be hitting some racers harder than others. I saw Keegan Wright was looking for a job in NZ until racing starts up again.
More likely that it makes sense to get a job if you're not racing a bike. The bike contracts aren't much anyhow. And he's just sitting at home until the fall, why not get a job? There are very few MTB racers who can afford to not have a side job. Especially if their race season just got canceled.
mwolpin
5/28/2020 11:33pm
Nestoroff seems to be selling off a bunch of his KHS stuff new or almost new on instagram.
Every time I see KHS mentioned, I’m amazed they’re still around. Mainly because no bike pub covers them unless it’s related to a self-created video.
ride
5/29/2020 10:10am
COVID might be hitting some racers harder than others. I saw Keegan Wright was looking for a job in NZ until racing starts up again.
More likely that it makes sense to get a job if you're not racing a bike. The bike contracts aren't much anyhow. And he's just sitting...
More likely that it makes sense to get a job if you're not racing a bike. The bike contracts aren't much anyhow. And he's just sitting at home until the fall, why not get a job? There are very few MTB racers who can afford to not have a side job. Especially if their race season just got canceled.
He's in NZ, waiting around until summer...
6/11/2020 9:12am
Sram/RockShox had a deal with Trek Factory XC until Tokio 2020. same for Anton Cooper that signed with Trek until end 2020. I wonder with the Olympic being moved to 2021 how will these deals work.
Alan Hatherly deal with Specialized team ends this year too, but he´s likely staying next year too
6/13/2020 5:08pm
In Rachel's most recent video you can see that Gee's bike is running what look to be Minion DHR II tires. There's also another Atherton bike pictured that has a Bontrager G5 or SE5 mounted. The final photo is from Gee's Ft. Bill course preview from last year, it definitely looks like a Bontrager G5. A few thoughts...

1. The Atherton/Conti marriage is over and Gee is, in fact running Minions or old Bontragers from the Trek team days.

2. Conti is developing a minion knockoff. This would make sense to me as it seems like the conti stuff hasn't been very competitive for quite a while, and their take on a minion might actually be pretty good with the Black Chili Compound.

3. The bike with the Bontrager tires is possibly Rachel's boyfriend (even though earlier in the video you see he has continentals on the bike). Being that hes not part of Atherton racing he wouldn't have an obligation to Continental, and it would make sense that one of the Atherton sibs would have some Bontragers laying around the shed.

What have you all heard?? What do you think?

Primoz
6/14/2020 5:58am
Hoping for a new Conti tyre. The compound is known to be very good (the only soft compound that doesn't get brittle in the cold), but Der Baron is a mid spike tyre, which I see no point in running daily. Der Kaiser is supposedly very underwhelming in some areas of use, te TrailKing is a joke for 'serious riding' (it's an XC tyre), so a new tread design makes sense.
lewzz10
6/14/2020 7:32am
Gee said in a podcast interview this week that they're working on new tyres with Conti. Bet would be that they're proto, or Conti have shut down in lockdown and they're running what they've got lying around when there's no media scrutiny on them.
Primoz
6/14/2020 10:28am
There's also benchmarking...
Primoz
6/26/2020 5:08am
I've been thinking... The new Meta lineup was released by Commencal and it features Ohlins shocks. That means that the Specialized exclusivity deal has run out and Ohlins is free to play for everybody.

Does that mean we will maybe see them represented more widely in the world cup as well? Who are the candidates that could (right now, given their sponsorship structure) switch over? Are all FOX teams free to play here considering they usually run Shimano as opposed to the package deal that is Sram?
6/26/2020 5:50am
Primoz wrote:
I've been thinking... The new Meta lineup was released by Commencal and it features Ohlins shocks. That means that the Specialized exclusivity deal has run out...
I've been thinking... The new Meta lineup was released by Commencal and it features Ohlins shocks. That means that the Specialized exclusivity deal has run out and Ohlins is free to play for everybody.

Does that mean we will maybe see them represented more widely in the world cup as well? Who are the candidates that could (right now, given their sponsorship structure) switch over? Are all FOX teams free to play here considering they usually run Shimano as opposed to the package deal that is Sram?
I doubt it. Maybe if Öhlins start a full service tent, but I think for most teams the fox/SRAM service tents are too good of an asset to pass on.
Primoz
8/15/2020 3:17pm
Greg retiring after 2020?
8/18/2020 10:15am
Here is the full announcement from Nukeproof team manager Nigel Page regarding Sam Hill sitting out the 2020 EWS season (however the "season" will turn out):
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s been a crazy year for everyone, our thoughts go out to all those effected by the current Covid-19 situation.

Like most of you, we’ve been eager to get back to do what we love; racing bikes. However, after much discussion and consideration and in respect for all involved, we have decided Sam Hill will not travel to Europe this year to compete in the 2020 EWS races.

Where Sam lives in Western Australia, they have strict rules on international travel and whilst air travel companies are doing an amazing job to make travel as risk free as possible, the prospect of none essential travel and 14 day isolation & quarantine on return is something we are not comfortable and unwilling to ask any of our athletes to do.

From Sam:

”I’m unfortunately not going to be at the upcoming EWS races this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation around the world. Traveling across the world right now is not a risk I want to put myself or my family through. It’s a very tough decision to make as I love racing and being with my team and the fans but I feel it’s the right choice for myself at this time. Hopefully next year things can get back to normal and I will be ready to chase another title.”

Sam came into 2020 more motivated and prepared than ever, ready to defend his Enduro World Title. However, with the prospect of no EWS 2020 world title on the line, Sam will remain as the current EWS world champion going into 2021 when we will hope to be back to racing.

We would also like to wish team rider Kelan Grant a speedy recovery from recent shoulder surgery. The team and Kelan chose this time to rectify a persistent injury and ensure that he is 100% fit and healthy for the future so he will also miss the next few races of the 2020 season.

However, we’re excited to get back to racing and the rest of the team will head out to Zermatt. For the remaining races joining 2018 U21 EWS World Champion Elliott Heap and myself will be a really talented local rider to myself - Anthony Hales. Ant, will be competing in his first EWS races and is an exciting prospect to look out for.

A big thank you to all our team sponsors and their management for their continued support in these strange times, we are fortunate to have support from some of the best sponsors and people in the business.

I want to thank all our team for their proactive approach to this year. Whilst racing has not been possible, our athletes have continued to do as much as possible to entertain. Be sure to look out for some really cool riding edits Sam is working on in WA coming soon.

Lastly, thank you to the great EWS team for working so hard to get some races going this year.

Stay safe everyone.

Nigel
8/24/2020 2:09am
It appears Marshy is wrenching for commencal 100%, as per IG. I thought he was going to retire.
danposs86
8/24/2020 2:14am
It appears Marshy is wrenching for commencal 100%, as per IG. I thought he was going to retire.
Wheres that at then?
lewzz10
8/24/2020 4:27am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2020 4:28am
instagram.com/elrealgringo
Big Bird
8/24/2020 4:28pm
They must have waved a big wad of cash at him. Or else there was some kind of drama that the general public doesn't know about.
Pedal4life
8/24/2020 6:10pm
Hopefully there’s a even bigger story behind this move of Mr Marsh
8/25/2020 12:36am
Announcement from Kona, letting us know that Connor Fearon won't be traveling to attend any races this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connor Fearon will be staying in Australia and sitting out the upcoming EWS and DH World Cup events scheduled to take place in Europe in the coming months. The travel restrictions in Australia currently prohibits overseas travel. Australia also has a passenger arrival limit making it very difficult for Australian citizens to travel back home which has left some citizens stranded overseas.

The team had big plans for 2020 with both full EWS and World Cup circuits. Connor is not one to sit idle and has plans to make the most of this time away from the races to provide value to our sponsors and supporters. Miranda Miller and Rhys Verner are on their way to do the current EWS Enduro events. Travel is easier for Canadians and we're looking forward to watching them compete this fall.

“Like everybody I’m devastated for how 2020 has played out so far. I had a really productive offseason both on and off the bike and had planned to compete in almost the entire EWS and WC DH series. I was really excited to get more EWS experience under my belt and had worked hard to be able to prove my third place at EWS Derby was no fluke. The choice to sit out for the remainder of the races was not easy to make. The current pandemic has made me realize there are more important things in life then racing a bike and after considering everything, I decided to listen to the government's travel advice and not take the risk involved with travelling to the other side of the world right now. In the meantime I’m looking forward to attending all the events possible within Australia and taking on some media projects I’ve never had time for before! I'm still committed to racing 100% and will be ready to go when travelling and racing become somewhat normal again."

Thank you to all our partners and supporters.we look forward to when it’s OK to travel and Connor getting back to international competition.

Earlier this week Team Manager and Mechanic Mathieu Dupelle Build up Connor’s Operator CR race bike. you can check out the build video here:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bizutch
8/25/2020 8:56am
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will.

But sort of ironic that the country whose riders had a reputation for scrounging their way around the planet on pennies to recklessly skate by, letting it all hang out & put everything on the line for the sake of hitting it big racing and dominate every country's best riders while on almost no budget has become the primary country to have riders stay home and take the low risk, financially conservative and cautious option.

Are the Aussies & Kiwis opting in still?

8/25/2020 9:18am
bizutch wrote:
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will. But sort of ironic...
It's not a criticism when I say this because I believe you can stay home if you want because of free will.

But sort of ironic that the country whose riders had a reputation for scrounging their way around the planet on pennies to recklessly skate by, letting it all hang out & put everything on the line for the sake of hitting it big racing and dominate every country's best riders while on almost no budget has become the primary country to have riders stay home and take the low risk, financially conservative and cautious option.

Are the Aussies & Kiwis opting in still?

Difference between objective and subjective hazards
bizutch
8/25/2020 9:37am
Difference between objective and subjective hazards
Don't make me look up definitions today. I want to be blissfully ignorant for just one more day
rugbyred
8/25/2020 9:52am
Could it be that they are taking the better approach for health reasons and looking down the long road for the global health issues at stake and not the short term option?
Primoz
8/25/2020 10:55am
And a difference between making it work on a shoestring budget and have the ability to get back to your cozy home, where you have friends, support and a job. vs. being stuck outside the country. Where you have your cozy home, friends, support and a job.

Post a reply to: 2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest