MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
Uncle Cliffy
5/15/2024 6:54am
boozed wrote:
If you're looking to optimise, the Funn Equalizer is ±10 mm and also has only a 34 mm stack.  In total you can gain about 10...

If you're looking to optimise, the Funn Equalizer is ±10 mm and also has only a 34 mm stack.  In total you can gain about 10 mm of bar height compared to the i9.

I have this: DMR Defy. 27mm stack. I gained 20mm of bar height!

Primoz
Fantasy
470th
5/15/2024 9:20am
dolface wrote:
New Motion Instruments gizmos: https://motioninstruments.com/products/system-2 Cheaper than before but also has some limitations (e.g. won't work w/ EXT forks, which probably means it won't work w/ Manitou...

New Motion Instruments gizmos: https://motioninstruments.com/products/system-2

Cheaper than before but also has some limitations (e.g. won't work w/ EXT forks, which probably means it won't work w/ Manitou either).

Doesn't work because it mounts to the air valve and the ext has two. Thus it won't work with aftermarket dual positive chamber modifications as well. It's not the arch that's the problem. 

Or does Manitou use a dual positive chamber too? 

Zuestman
Fantasy
615th
5/15/2024 9:28am
Primoz wrote:
Same, only with even more spacers... Can't wait to get my hands on a 55 mm (or more) rise bar. @chasejj that sounds... stiff. Also, regarding...

Same, only with even more spacers... Can't wait to get my hands on a 55 mm (or more) rise bar.

@chasejj that sounds... stiff. Also, regarding the limit, got more info on that? It's the first time I'm hearing that and it's not intuitive why that would be an issue... A bar is a bar is a bar is a bar? I mean a 20 or a 35 mm rise bar at 810 is going to have about the same leverage as a 55 mm rise bar at 760 mm.

EDIT: scratch that, bar rise has almost no effect on leverage by increasing the distance from the clamping area linearly. Additional torsional loads in the clamp might play a role in things with higher rise bars, but for added leverage bar width is the main driver.

Just as a note, can 100% confirm that bar rise does effect the flex of a bar.  

having specifically tested flex on bars, and same bar, same width, different rise, a taller bar does have more flex.  

Primoz
Fantasy
470th
5/15/2024 9:34am

Flex yes, the leverage part is not clear though.

My edit button sadly doesn't work, but Manitou has IRT for the dual positive chamber, but it comes with a single valve at the top. Should work fine with motion instruments. 

dolface
Fantasy
974th
5/15/2024 9:35am
Primoz wrote:
Flex yes, the leverage part is not clear though. My edit button sadly doesn't work, but Manitou has IRT for the dual positive chamber, but it...

My edit button sadly doesn't work, but Manitou has IRT for the dual positive chamber, but it comes with a single valve at the top. Should work fine with motion instruments. 

Thanks! Adding diagram for anyone curious about it

jonkranked
Fantasy
1336th
5/15/2024 10:28am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2024 10:29am
Primoz wrote:
Flex yes, the leverage part is not clear though. My edit button sadly doesn't work, but Manitou has IRT for the dual positive chamber, but it...

the top valve on the IRT is for the second (high pressure) air chamber.  there is a another valve on the bottom of the fork for the first positive air chamber and neg air chamber (self equalizes when a pump is attached). 

ZAKBROWN!
Fantasy
293rd
5/15/2024 10:58am
dolface wrote:
New Motion Instruments gizmos: https://motioninstruments.com/products/system-2 Cheaper than before but also has some limitations (e.g. won't work w/ EXT forks, which probably means it won't work w/ Manitou...

Cheaper than before but also has some limitations (e.g. won't work w/ EXT forks, which probably means it won't work w/ Manitou either).

Primoz wrote:
Doesn't work because it mounts to the air valve and the ext has two. Thus it won't work with aftermarket dual positive chamber modifications as well...

Doesn't work because it mounts to the air valve and the ext has two. Thus it won't work with aftermarket dual positive chamber modifications as well. It's not the arch that's the problem. 

Or does Manitou use a dual positive chamber too? 

It looks like it hangs off the air valve just like the original setup, it's just a slotted piece of metal and the cap threads down on the valve to hold the top of the tracer in place.  I have an original MI setup and it works fine on EXT forks, you just have to be a bit more careful to line everything up and use one of the valves.  Not sure why the new tracer wouldn't work the same way on dual valve forks but I'm sure somebody could whip up something on the 3d printer to work it out.  

To me the exciting part is the rear shock sensor - certain bikes can be a real pain with the old system, and it was always easier on coil shocks than air.  

5/15/2024 11:49am
dolface wrote:

It should work with Manitou with IRT, as there is a valve on the top. 

dolface
Fantasy
974th
5/15/2024 12:23pm
dolface wrote:

baronKanon wrote:

Thanks all! Didn't realize the valve was just for mounting and wasn't a data source...

Yoda
Fantasy
160th
5/15/2024 1:35pm

On the topic of innovation, have any alpinestars athletes/team explained why everyone is on the moto helmet? New mtb helmet spec? Or new regulations made the moto helmet safer at slow speeds

5/15/2024 3:21pm
Yoda wrote:
On the topic of innovation, have any alpinestars athletes/team explained why everyone is on the moto helmet? New mtb helmet spec? Or new regulations made the...

On the topic of innovation, have any alpinestars athletes/team explained why everyone is on the moto helmet? New mtb helmet spec? Or new regulations made the moto helmet safer at slow speeds

Moat likely a new DH helmet based on the SM10 design.

bulletbass man
Fantasy
591st
5/15/2024 5:05pm
dolface wrote:

baronKanon wrote:

dolface wrote:

Thanks all! Didn't realize the valve was just for mounting and wasn't a data source...

If it’s just mounting then a mcgyverrd solution is probably doable.

Shinook
5/15/2024 8:05pm

If it’s just mounting then a mcgyverrd solution is probably doable.

They indicated this would void your warranty. 

The original system would mount to a coil single crown using double sided tape, but I think something more elegant may be possible for forks that leave a 5-10mm gap at full compression. You could probably 3d print it to offset to the side and tape in place so it stays straight, there might be enough space to use a strap around the top of the crown, but it'd be risky especially considering these new sensors have no room for rotation. At $500, it might almost be worth it to try.

Primoz
Fantasy
470th
5/15/2024 8:44pm

The whole system is a set and forget kinda design and isn't intended at the fiddling and macgyvering crowd as much as some other variants, so I'm guessing that's why they say it's not compatible. It is, it's just not easy. 

NicoZesty96
5/15/2024 11:08pm

We've got a name, ALBERT GRAVITY now i hope the release date is ASAP20240515 UCI DHEDR WC Poland SR31509 220240515 UCI DHEDR WC Poland SR31511 2

JokullThor
Fantasy
3477th
5/16/2024 1:54am
Yoda wrote:
On the topic of innovation, have any alpinestars athletes/team explained why everyone is on the moto helmet? New mtb helmet spec? Or new regulations made the...

Dak said it's just the current moto helmet

Yoda
Fantasy
160th
5/16/2024 2:01am
Yoda wrote:

JokullThor wrote:

Dak said it's just the current moto helmet

Exactly, but why? Pinkerton is also supposed to move to the moto helmet... is it proven to be safer than the mtb helmets Astars just launched? The SM10 is supposed to be ECE 22.06 certified, would be great to be able to buy one helmet for mx and mtb. 

Having serious concussions in the past, I'm constantly trying to find the safest domes on the market and nobody is testing them to their full potential. 

bnsleit
5/16/2024 6:29am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2024 6:30am
We've got a name, ALBERT GRAVITY now i hope the release date is ASAP

We've got a name, ALBERT GRAVITY now i hope the release date is ASAP20240515 UCI DHEDR WC Poland SR31509 220240515 UCI DHEDR WC Poland SR31511 2

Non-sarcastic question as an assegai user - what about the Albert Gravity seems better than the already-available assguy in all the different compounds, casings and sizes?

edit: wanting to try something different but similar with my next set, was looking at Contis but don't know much about Schwalbe

sspomer
Fantasy
51st
5/16/2024 7:31am

hit the homepage for pit bits galleries (2 of them) from poland. pit bits vid just dropped too. here it is

bikelurker
5/16/2024 9:03am
sspomer wrote:
don't miss the homepage because you'll miss this. mclaren ebike with 161nm of torque and this "display" https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/mclaren-yes-mclaren-launches-hyperbike-e-mtb-161nm-torque-852w-peak-power

don't miss the homepage because you'll miss this. mclaren ebike with 161nm of torque and this "display"

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/mclaren-yes-mclaren-launche…

Looks like a Vespa

Mugen
Fantasy
2731st
5/16/2024 9:18am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2024 9:24am
bnsleit wrote:
Non-sarcastic question as an assegai user - what about the Albert Gravity seems better than the already-available assguy in all the different compounds, casings and sizes...

Non-sarcastic question as an assegai user - what about the Albert Gravity seems better than the already-available assguy in all the different compounds, casings and sizes?

edit: wanting to try something different but similar with my next set, was looking at Contis but don't know much about Schwalbe

Very personal, but for me Maxxis, including specifically the Assegai, tend to puncture much faster than Schwalbe of equivalent weight. Most Maxxis DD's I have tried were dead in under a month on the rear (multiple snakebites or big tear), whereas a Schwalbe supertrail will probably last at least 3 months, and a supergravity will never die (talking sidewalls here, knobs will be long gone)

5/16/2024 9:27am

Cool shots from PitBits video of AP’s V5 rear end. (3rd photo from IG). It’s interesting to me to see how soft potentially he’s trying to make his bike but then Greg wrapping his norco rear end in carbon.

5/16/2024 9:50am
Wayy more lights and buttons on the Ohlins stuff than I imagined.

Wayy more lights and buttons on the Ohlins stuff than I imagined.

image-20240516093613-1image-20240516093806-2

I just love how they've got the most one-off frame, a bunch of secret suspension stuff going on, and a clump of black electrical tape holding it all together Laughing I'm sure it's there just to hide what's beneath, but it sure does look hodgepodge 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest