Accessibility Widget: On | Off

MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Create New Tag

9/23/2020 1:06 PM

Primoz wrote:

He actually kind of has a point.

Think of it this way, there was a leak, caused by either an employee or a dealer. And those happen all the time, it's just a question who you share information you're privy to. Some pople just don't care and post the stuff on the internet. That means we get actions like these, but the main issue is at the start of the chain. For example, I've been aware of what Norco will be doing since early August, but I've kept mum on it (and will keep mum on it) because I gain nothing by spilling the beans (or, if anything, not being privy of information ahead of time ever again), excep 2 minutes of fame. And it's very clear there are quite a few people participating in this topic that have had at least the same info for quite a while longer.

Now, the real issue? Some leaked material was posted on a website's forum by a user. The website is, in the end, responsible for what is posted on said site and what is removed due to some laws. But these kind of posts don't break any racism, hate speech & co laws and are from that standpoint completely OK. Except for the company, that is the target of a leak. Said company asks for said content to be removed and the website operators comply with it. This shows a precedent that the websites operators are willing to comply to said company's wishes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing any fingers or saying 'this is happening', I'm merely talking about a hypothetical situation as a consumer (of both products, the site's content and the company's bikes & stuff), that is, in my case admittedly a smartass, who has no problems with poking the proverbial wasp's nest and clearly doesn't give enough consideration as to how he appears on the internet, where I see this willingness to comply with certain requests. And then I'm starting to wonder what kind of other requests are there? And are they met? What kind of conditions are set to help them being met, etc.? And that then throws under consideration the neutrality and unbiasness of said site posting reviews of products of said company and the ethics of said company. And all because said company tried to stuff the genie, let out of the bottle, back into the bottle instead of dealing with the problem they have on the other end of the chain.

We haven't had many dramas around this topic in our world, if I'm not mistaken, but there have been a few in the tech world, where companies tied to strongarm some smaller and not so small reviewers into better reviews by threatening to not send them any more products and the like. And even the big sites and reviewers talk about rumors and leaked content, openly (while I have a distinct feeling MTB sites throw out a leaked photo here or there just to increase engagement with the public through comments, effectively feeding us breadcrumbs under the table while they have the whole cake on their tables), but that of course changes once the product is actually close to release, samples are seeded to the reviewers and NDAs are signed.

It's a bit of a rant, it will probably be seen as controversial in some circles (or eyes), but I'm not blaming anything or anyone of doing anything wrong, it's all just hypotheticals and how it _appears_ to the consumer. And I'm well aware running a site is not a simple or ceap business and that forum posts don't pay the bills, but at the end of it all, sites and brands DO exist because of the consumers making clicks and buying gear.

As opposed to supplying hypothetical framework and then humble-brag how devoted you are to being a salesman, just let it go.
Eating Spaghettios on a Toilet and posting on internet forum should not be considered as anything exclusive.

|

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

9/23/2020 11:20 PM

2021 Canyon Sender in a much better colourway

Photo
Photo

|

9/24/2020 12:44 AM

pohsoonteng wrote:

Yea I'm kinda confused how shops and stuff are allowed to be leaking like this... Imma assume then that companies think it's okay to use it to drum up excitement and just leave this here

https://www.mojekolo.cz/norco-shore-a-frame-silver-silver-27-5-l/

Karabuka wrote:

Best part is large red embargo stamp :D But for real, whats up with all those new bikes and parts being put on internet this year ahead of their release times? I remember Meta with clear pictures of zeb like a month before its release (even though everyone knew it was coming), w(TF)/e Specialized tried to do with the status, now this? I've been following these threads for long time and really do not remember so many fcks up in previous years and I definetly do not remember companies lurking around and imposing embargos...

Leaking photos of new bikes on purpose has been a part of brand strategies for ages, especially if stocks of previous years models are very low or depleted (cough cough canyon cough cough). I guess this year has been pretty confused for all product launches, with you-know-what ongoing, and brands had to leak a few photos to keep us focused on higher value products to come.
Well, that would be the "all is marketing, we're all puppets" conspiracy theory. Some leaks are on purpose, some just don't.

The fact is: a few years ago there wasn't so much fuss about product leaks, while there would be as many prototypes in the wild as we could see today. So, what's changed?
Well, every single person on the planet has now a phone & camera in the pocket, social media is a norm, and all riders and/or influencer willing to succeed in this industry has to post shitloads of content in order to get some more followers. Brands don't check every single snap / insta story / tiktok / whatever their ambassadors or relatives post on SM.
Also, brands don't check every single retailer website and/or SM content, because they probably do not know every single one of them (well depending on their distribution structure).
We, consumers, have now access to a massive amount of content posted online by a a buzzing community of passionate people. And yeah, sometimes there's a leak: shit happens. It's the bicycle industry we're talking about guys, not a super-secret space program.

(PS. what Specialized did with the Status was actually pretty smart.)

|

Professional french asshole filling Vital's thread with baguettes and croissants.

9/24/2020 2:22 AM

Karabuka wrote:

Best part is large red embargo stamp :D But for real, whats up with all those new bikes and parts being put on internet this year ahead of their release times? I remember Meta with clear pictures of zeb like a month before its release (even though everyone knew it was coming), w(TF)/e Specialized tried to do with the status, now this? I've been following these threads for long time and really do not remember so many fcks up in previous years and I definetly do not remember companies lurking around and imposing embargos...

I think it might be partly due to the lockdown and social distancing, more people online sleuthing through forums and looking for something to talk about. Also possibly why we are all over-reacting one way or another.

When I came across the new Commencal meta power with prices on a German forum a few weeks before launch, I shared it around a few forums I post on. Nothing malicious, I love Commencal, it was just pure excitement and wanting to start a discussion. And does it really hurt them? We still can't buy them a month after the reveal... And won't be able to ride one until 2021...

I don't get why people are so upset about brands asking to remove leaks and Vital complying: in many cases Vital probably have the bike on test or in the pipe for a test with an embargo date, of course they are going comply. This is like the most logical "no harm, no foul" move.

It would be completely different if they were removing discussions about frames cracking or warranties not being honored... But considering every other review these days mentions a cracked carbon rim or chainstay, that doesn't seem to be the case.

|

9/24/2020 7:35 AM

Eoin wrote:

I think it might be partly due to the lockdown and social distancing, more people online sleuthing through forums and looking for something to talk about. Also possibly why we are all over-reacting one way or another.

When I came across the new Commencal meta power with prices on a German forum a few weeks before launch, I shared it around a few forums I post on. Nothing malicious, I love Commencal, it was just pure excitement and wanting to start a discussion. And does it really hurt them? We still can't buy them a month after the reveal... And won't be able to ride one until 2021...

I don't get why people are so upset about brands asking to remove leaks and Vital complying: in many cases Vital probably have the bike on test or in the pipe for a test with an embargo date, of course they are going comply. This is like the most logical "no harm, no foul" move.

It would be completely different if they were removing discussions about frames cracking or warranties not being honored... But considering every other review these days mentions a cracked carbon rim or chainstay, that doesn't seem to be the case.

That's pretty true... I've been out of a lot of work due to the pandemic, quarantine and on top of that air quality has not been great here in California. More time on my hands, more time spent indoors, more time looking through the internet...

|

9/24/2020 7:40 AM

Times are changing... Companies want to keep their cards close to their chests because the customer that just bought a bike is going to get pissed and flame the company online because they got "The old bike"... Also, production timelines are way off right now.. Maybe Nukeproof originally wanted to release this new bike in October, but they lost testing and development time due to a lack of racing and travel restrictions and the factory building the bike for them said "Yeah, we can do it... They'll be ready in October 2021..." I was looking for a bike for a customer the other day... I saw the bike would be available end of September... I got excited... Then I looked again and saw end of September 2021... Uggg...

|

9/24/2020 10:56 AM

The new Propain Spindrift 2021....at least that’s the rumor. Tried my best to get a clean shot, but difficult to see anything from this photo.

Photo

|

9/24/2020 10:59 AM

C-LION wrote:

The new Propain Spindrift 2021....at least that’s the rumor. Tried my best to get a clean shot, but difficult to see anything from this photo.

Photo

Should be released on Monday.

|

9/24/2020 12:39 PM

|

Where the white women at?

9/24/2020 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2020 1:04 PM

Supply chains are being re-written if it came from China in the past it’ll be coming from India in the future

#taiwan51

|

9/24/2020 1:13 PM

taiwan51?

The Spindrift appears to be going the way of the hugene, the shock being mounted in front of the seat tube.

|

9/24/2020 7:37 PM

Primoz wrote:

taiwan51?

The Spindrift appears to be going the way of the hugene, the shock being mounted in front of the seat tube.

In front, behind... one thing remains consistent with propain bikes. They’re ugly af!

|

9/24/2020 11:40 PM

Primoz wrote:

taiwan51?

bermslapper69 wrote:

In front, behind... one thing remains consistent with propain bikes. They’re ugly af!

I have to disagree. The new Tyee is a nice bike. Let's see how the Spindrift will look like.
One thing's for sure: They have a winning business model.

|

9/25/2020 12:44 AM

Mo(n)arch wrote:

I have to disagree. The new Tyee is a nice bike. Let's see how the Spindrift will look like.
One thing's for sure: They have a winning business model.

How much do you wanna bet it’s gonna be a mullet? Seems like the cool thing to do nowadays.

|

9/25/2020 4:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2020 4:23 AM

Hmm new Nukeproof Giga doesn't have horst link. Interesting.
Single pivot?

|

9/25/2020 4:50 AM

Snakes wrote:

Hmm new Nukeproof Giga doesn't have horst link. Interesting.
Single pivot?

yep, single pivot.
same suspension platform as the dissent from the looks of it

|

9/25/2020 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2020 8:53 AM

Looks like there's a new Spartan on the way
Photo

|

9/25/2020 10:24 AM

nathan999x wrote:

Looks like there's a new Spartan on the way
Photo

I think this is the Troy! It really looks like the pictures we saw of it and new 2021 spartan is on their website since yesterday and no change to the frame... sad

|

9/25/2020 10:40 AM

HH4L wrote:

I think this is the Troy! It really looks like the pictures we saw of it and new 2021 spartan is on their website since yesterday and no change to the frame... sad

It's not the current Troy. The lower shock mount is different

|

9/25/2020 10:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2020 10:47 AM

No I know...2021 Troy that is coming really soon! 09/30

https://forums.mtbr.com/devinci/2021-bikes-1144125.html

|

9/27/2020 5:25 AM

Found an image of new norco floating around, if somebody didnt catch it before it was taken down from that site posted above... Also it says embargo summer 2020, does this still counts as the summer is officialy over? :D
https://i.imgur.com/smkgyjX.png

|

9/27/2020 7:43 AM

Does anyone know if there is something new to be expected on the ibis mojo? I have a nice offer on a new 2020 model but i would love to see if the upgrade that bike first

|

9/27/2020 10:25 AM

Kanista wrote:

Does anyone know if there is something new to be expected on the ibis mojo? I have a nice offer on a new 2020 model but i would love to see if the upgrade that bike first

new mojo came out at the end of 2019 if i‘m not mistaken.

|

9/27/2020 1:02 PM

Can someone explain, nukeprook asked vital to remove that “cad” pictures , but it’s ok on the other site? (Pink) 😤

|

9/27/2020 1:14 PM

Where?

|

9/27/2020 1:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2020 1:19 PM

|

9/27/2020 2:41 PM

I'm not sure it was posted before, but here's a better photo of the new cube dh bike they've been using since this winter. Looks nicer than I thought. Photo

|

9/28/2020 1:12 AM

ORTOGONAL555 wrote:

I'm not sure it was posted before, but here's a better photo of the new cube dh bike they've been using since this winter. Looks nicer than I thought. Photo

It will be released in 7 days, as per their website

|

9/28/2020 6:50 AM

Upcoming 29" enduro sled from Poland's Dartmoor:

Photo

|

9/28/2020 7:16 AM

Verbl Kint wrote: Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Saw this while window shopping for RD hangers. It's an interesting design, and, considering it's a catalog frame, has quite a few numbers on the geo chart that are quite progressive.

Shock size: 185x55 (trunnion - 160mm travel)
Max tire size: 29x2.5

gbcoke wrote:

Looks very nice compared to other Chinese open mold frames.
Do you know who makes them ?

This was on Light Bicycles website but has since been removed. Not sure if it's still going into production.

|