Accessibility Widget: On | Off

MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Create New Tag

9/10/2020 1:25 PM

pohsoonteng wrote:

Anyone got any word on these? I've been riding a loaner 2020 Primer 275 lately and really loving it. Looking at what my options are for my next bike and Intense definitely has my interest! smile

Photo

chriskief wrote:

Looks like you can get it here...

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/megatower

pohsoonteng wrote:

Not a fan of the IS headset of the Santa Cruz bikes. The new Intense looks to be a mullet which is great because I am 5'8 with short legs. I believe there was another thread where I explained why i don't like 29 in the back but to sum it up, it's the BB drop in relation to the rear axle. Also, if we really are going to talk about who did the lower shock mounting link first, we should be talking about the Banshee Legend which for some reason many seem to have forgotten about.

Hightower with a Cascade Mullet link could be an option (https://cascadecomponents.bike/products/hightower-v2-mullet-link) but that doesn't address the IS headset.

Not sure what year the Legend came out but I think VPP came from Outland back in the mid to late 90s.

|

9/10/2020 1:27 PM

Sonofbovril2 wrote:

No I’m just saying that they only seem to be able to get a certain amount of flex out of the stays so far so in order to get more travel they would have to use a higher leverage ratio which seems less fashionable nowadays. Unless they have come up with a way to get more flex from the stays, which is possible?

So yeah, I understood you correctly. So again, why would the leverage ratio and flex stays be an issue?

Regarding more travel, if you use a thinner and longer section for the flex stays you can get a whole lot of travel. Or with the correct link arrangement, you can get very small rotations of the rear link (or the flex part). And so on. There is a lot of talk that flex stays only go up to X travel. Yet modern airliners have wings that go to near vertical at the tips through their flex (in the destructive test for the wings).

All you have to do is to make the structure deform to the point you need and to ensure the stresses in the deformation are low enough. How to do that and if that is practical from a manufacturing point of view and how it affects other parts of a design is a different story on the other hand.

|

9/10/2020 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2020 1:35 PM

Primoz wrote:

Why would the leverage ratio be an issue? (for the flex stays of course, the way it's worded it implies that these are connected)

Sonofbovril2 wrote:

No I’m just saying that they only seem to be able to get a certain amount of flex out of the stays so far so in order to get more travel they would have to use a higher leverage ratio which seems less fashionable nowadays. Unless they have come up with a way to get more flex from the stays, which is possible?

Primoz wrote:

So yeah, I understood you correctly. So again, why would the leverage ratio and flex stays be an issue?

Regarding more travel, if you use a thinner and longer section for the flex stays you can get a whole lot of travel. Or with the correct link arrangement, you can get very small rotations of the rear link (or the flex part). And so on. There is a lot of talk that flex stays only go up to X travel. Yet modern airliners have wings that go to near vertical at the tips through their flex (in the destructive test for the wings).

All you have to do is to make the structure deform to the point you need and to ensure the stresses in the deformation are low enough. How to do that and if that is practical from a manufacturing point of view and how it affects other parts of a design is a different story on the other hand.

Agreed, basically it should theoretically be possible but yet no one seems to be doing it or able to do it for some reason?

Maybe some of the boutique Ti frames are doing it?

|

9/10/2020 1:39 PM

In an industry where most carbon bikes are designed from an industrial look point of view and the layup is determined by eye and then fixed if the tests fail in Asian factories, it's hard to see who would do the kind of development work to make it work. Specialized might have the capabilities and knowledge for it, but it's a matter of cost vs reward. You gain what, a few 10 grams on frame weight? It's most likely not worth it when you then put DH casing tyres on the bike...

But I'm still saying it's not impossible to make a flex stay bike with 150+ mm of travel. Impractical maybe but not impossible.

|

9/10/2020 1:48 PM

Sonofbovril2 wrote:

No I’m just saying that they only seem to be able to get a certain amount of flex out of the stays so far so in order to get more travel they would have to use a higher leverage ratio which seems less fashionable nowadays. Unless they have come up with a way to get more flex from the stays, which is possible?

Primoz wrote:

So yeah, I understood you correctly. So again, why would the leverage ratio and flex stays be an issue?

Regarding more travel, if you use a thinner and longer section for the flex stays you can get a whole lot of travel. Or with the correct link arrangement, you can get very small rotations of the rear link (or the flex part). And so on. There is a lot of talk that flex stays only go up to X travel. Yet modern airliners have wings that go to near vertical at the tips through their flex (in the destructive test for the wings).

All you have to do is to make the structure deform to the point you need and to ensure the stresses in the deformation are low enough. How to do that and if that is practical from a manufacturing point of view and how it affects other parts of a design is a different story on the other hand.

Sonofbovril2 wrote:

Agreed, basically it should theoretically be possible but yet no one seems to be doing it or able to do it for some reason?

Maybe some of the boutique Ti frames are doing it?

Its actually not hard to do. It has more to do with the anti-rise arrangement of the link. You can make a link that puts minimal movement on the seatstays, or if you do your own carbon layup get quite a bit of flex. This bike has 160mm of rear travel with flex stays, and without the shock mounted this guy can flex it with his finger.


|

9/10/2020 2:09 PM

bermslapper69 wrote:

I heard some chatter about the 2021 stumpjumper on a different forum. Supposedly it looks similar to the 2020 (basically it’s not switching to the demo style linkage) but has a completely reworked suspension design that might be using flex stays

New Stumpjumper is going to be like the Enduro/Demo.

|

9/10/2020 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2020 2:15 PM

bermslapper69 wrote:

I heard some chatter about the 2021 stumpjumper on a different forum. Supposedly it looks similar to the 2020 (basically it’s not switching to the demo style linkage) but has a completely reworked suspension design that might be using flex stays

Dickscruttock wrote:

New Stumpjumper is going to be like the Enduro/Demo.

That was the speculation - but it isn't going to have the Demo/Enduro style lower linkage. As mentioned, similar to the current design.

|

9/10/2020 2:14 PM

That’s cool, glad to see that it is already being done! I wonder if the flex affects the rebound in any way, similar to the way that living link does on spot bikes?

|

9/10/2020 2:47 PM

Primoz wrote:

In an industry where most carbon bikes are designed from an industrial look point of view and the layup is determined by eye and then fixed if the tests fail in Asian factories, it's hard to see who would do the kind of development work to make it work. Specialized might have the capabilities and knowledge for it, but it's a matter of cost vs reward. You gain what, a few 10 grams on frame weight? It's most likely not worth it when you then put DH casing tyres on the bike...

But I'm still saying it's not impossible to make a flex stay bike with 150+ mm of travel. Impractical maybe but not impossible.

Photo
price is not nice but you get 5 year warranty...
|

9/10/2020 7:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2020 4:39 PM

Isn't that 2 new stumpjumpers (written ''new'')?! Exactly the same as before....

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/stumpjumper/c/stumpjumper


Somebody told me they won't do 27.5'' anymore... Something to change the geo (4 different settings), carbon only and way cheaper! A model at like 5200 cad that was in the 6 grand before.

*EDIT: I was talking about the EVO*

|

9/10/2020 9:52 PM

Sonofbovril2 wrote:

That’s cool, glad to see that it is already being done! I wonder if the flex affects the rebound in any way, similar to the way that living link does on spot bikes?

Depending on the stiffness of the flexing part, yes and no. Meaning that it can affect it very little or quite a bit.

Look at the old stumpy, the one before the shock reinforcement through the triangle. Supposedly the rebound characteristics of the carbon version after a deep travel event weren't particularly good because the frame deformed and loaded up (kinda like a bow) and then released that energy basically undamped, giving fast rebound characteristics. Supposedly.

|

9/11/2020 2:11 AM

Intend has released lower price point series - the blackline
https://www.intend-blackline.com/about/

Really going to look a bit more at the Ebonite fork.
https://www.intend-blackline.com/products/intend-blackline-ebonite/

The "tricstuff" fork we saw in Rotorua last year definitely was Intend. Same for the European Bike Project bike.

Dayom!Photo

|

9/11/2020 2:09 PM

baronKanon wrote:

Intend has released lower price point series - the blackline
https://www.intend-blackline.com/about/

Really going to look a bit more at the Ebonite fork.
https://www.intend-blackline.com/products/intend-blackline-ebonite/

The "tricstuff" fork we saw in Rotorua last year definitely was Intend. Same for the European Bike Project bike.

Dayom!Photo

Not much room for the lower bushing in there, I wonder if it'll be replaceable or new lowers time.

|

9/11/2020 2:54 PM

What makes you think that? The thicker top part of the lower tube is there to mount the bridge (I think it's screwed on) and to mount the seals, not for the bushings per-se. Bushings are relatively thin.

|

9/11/2020 3:08 PM

Photo
|

MRP - VP of Business Dev.

9/11/2020 3:56 PM

I was waiting for you Noah!! Have you punched Simcik for me yet????

|

Where the white women at?

9/11/2020 11:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2020 11:40 PM

Primoz wrote:

What makes you think that? The thicker top part of the lower tube is there to mount the bridge (I think it's screwed on) and to mount the seals, not for the bushings per-se. Bushings are relatively thin.

The tiny difference in diameter between the lower and stanchions mostly.
I'm sure Kapfinger has it thought out, just wondering about long term service.

|

9/14/2020 9:42 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Saw this while window shopping for RD hangers. It's an interesting design, and, considering it's a catalog frame, has quite a few numbers on the geo chart that are quite progressive.

Shock size: 185x55 (trunnion - 160mm travel)
Max tire size: 29x2.5




|

9/14/2020 1:37 PM

Saw this new Onza Skinwall on IG earlier today. Looks like we'll have some interesting intermediate tire options to choose from this winter.


https://www.instagram.com/p/CFHz7McHfHR/

Photo

https://onza-tires.com/landingpages/porcupine-rc/

|

9/14/2020 11:11 PM

Photo from a video posted by We Are One composites. Honestly could be nothing but the raw rocker link and lack of logos caught my eye being that there was some previous rumours of a frame on the works.
|

9/15/2020 2:09 PM

Sram AXS dh derailleur coming soon I think! Have a look at this Photo
Photo

|

9/15/2020 2:41 PM

Could it be just a cage transplant for a one-off build? It has Shimano brakes and Santa Cruz wheels on a Pivot frame... And FOX suspension. I hardly see it as preproduction stuff, this appears to be a balls to the wall build with no expense spared.

|

9/15/2020 2:49 PM

Possibly, doesn't look as compact as a short cage to me. Wouldn't really surprise me however. Back when I raced downhill the rear mech was probably the part I gave the least thought lol. It was there and it sort of worked.

Also, pivots will almost always be Fox/Shimano.

|

9/15/2020 3:25 PM

I recall that this AXS Blackbox prototype from a year ago was seen on Brandon Semenuk's Trek Ticket S. Photo

|

9/15/2020 5:56 PM

Last year during Crankworx Whistler, Fanatyk bike co had a Specialized Demo with an AXS dh photo derailleur in the window for a few weeks. I don't remember the story behind it, but it was definitely shorter, and had a slightly different design to the 12 speed.

|

2020 Specialized Enduro w/ 38 + X2, XT 12s
60 days a year in the WBP

9/15/2020 11:39 PM

Doesn’t look like it’s on 27 inch wheels to me. Could they have turned into a 29er? Maybe a mullet for the smaller sizes?

|

9/16/2020 12:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 1:01 AM

Philip_Rossetti wrote:

Sram AXS dh derailleur coming soon I think! Have a look at this Photo
Photo

i thinks that‘s just a regular x01 axs with a short cage put on.

|

9/16/2020 8:21 AM

Photo
nomad v5
|

9/16/2020 12:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 12:27 PM

Sean_Hornchek wrote: Photo
nomad v5

headtube looks even bigger/uglier than that on the new 5010 sad
interesting that it‘s kittet out in RS sitting at Fox smile

|

9/16/2020 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 4:24 PM

I just read about SRAM adding a Hydraullic clutch to there road bike derailluer and the mtb AXS frame to that derailluer making it perfect pairing to a DH cassette

Think I read about this on Cycling News maybe

|