Accessibility Widget: On | Off

MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Create New Tag

9/3/2020 5:33 AM

nskerb wrote:

Norco teaser again. This time with a single crown... Photo

That's the new Norco R _ _ _ _
Gonna be an absolute trail smasher oh baby!

|

9/3/2020 5:39 AM

My bet will be the comeback of a certain Norco S_ _ _ _

|

9/3/2020 6:00 AM

loris_74 wrote:

My bet will be the comeback of a certain Norco S_ _ _ _

The S _ _ _ _ isn't made of the materials shown in that photo. wink

|

9/3/2020 6:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2020 6:02 AM

Millard updated


|

9/3/2020 6:39 AM

loris_74 wrote:

My bet will be the comeback of a certain Norco S_ _ _ _

stoic_machine wrote:

The S _ _ _ _ isn't made of the materials shown in that photo. wink

It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing. I'm assuming that all the shots we've seen are of the same bike. Dual crown compatible long travel but not a full 200mm DH bike. Like the new slayer or enduro?

|

9/3/2020 7:13 AM

believe it or not, the trek slash did have a press release and embargo date.
https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Trek/Slash-9-9-X01,31337#product-reviews/3913

|

9/3/2020 11:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2020 11:26 AM

That millyard bike is amazing. It was and still is innovative. I'd love to own one with updated geo and a 29 front. I' m really looking forward to the video about the shock and fork. From this vid it looks like the rebound is out of wack, but it's hard to judge given it is not a traditional . The idea of a narrow rear end is intriguing too, but I'm not sure if the wheel would flex a lot or not.

|

9/3/2020 12:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2020 12:58 PM

I'm not sure why all the rage over narrow rear ends? The feet are much wider after all. I mean is it for heel clearance or for obstacle clearance?

BTW, I'm kinda wondering what would happen if the swingarm was pivoting around the upper drivetrain axle/shaft instead of the 'BB'. It would be a high pivot and would have less unsprung weight. Sure, the rotational speeds of it currently are low, but not zero! smile

|

9/4/2020 4:22 PM

Photo
|

9/4/2020 7:21 PM

Photo
|

9/5/2020 12:08 AM

Sean_Hornchek wrote: Photo

that looks pretty extreme laughing

|

9/5/2020 2:37 AM

So will norco release 2 bikes or was the double crowned bike we all saw a super enduro being thoroughly tested?

|

9/5/2020 8:23 AM

Primoz wrote:

I'm not sure why all the rage over narrow rear ends? The feet are much wider after all. I mean is it for heel clearance or for obstacle clearance?

BTW, I'm kinda wondering what would happen if the swingarm was pivoting around the upper drivetrain axle/shaft instead of the 'BB'. It would be a high pivot and would have less unsprung weight. Sure, the rotational speeds of it currently are low, but not zero! smile

We don't always ride straight. One might, when riding around or through some rocks, pay attention to ones feet and avoid any collision and then lean in and scrape the derailleur off on the way by.

|

9/5/2020 8:25 AM

Big Bird wrote:

We don't always ride straight. One might, when riding around or through some rocks, pay attention to ones feet and avoid any collision and then lean in and scrape the derailleur off on the way by.

I've also had a massive JRA OTB crash straight to my head because my heel caught on my 150mm rear end.

|

9/5/2020 12:24 PM

I must knock on wood as I haven't had problems with this. And I'm a right foot forward rider, where the derailleur is more exposed if anything.

Under the line I still don't see a narrow rear end as THAT big of an advantage, as your situation is a bit of an edge case. You could say a narrower rear end will enable you to go through narrow gulleys, but there are still the pedals and the feet to deal with.

I'd buy the heel rub & co. as the more important reason, but again, I'm one of the riders that has never had an issue with this (never really damaged a frame or a crank through pedalling), so I can't put myself in those shoes.

|

9/5/2020 8:37 PM

ORTOGONAL555 wrote:

So will norco release 2 bikes or was the double crowned bike we all saw a super enduro being thoroughly tested?

Possibly one bike with two stroke options for the shock? Maybe 170-180 & single crown vs 190-200 & dual crown?Also didn't someone mention a bottle mount they spotted on the DH bike?

|

9/5/2020 9:17 PM

ORTOGONAL555 wrote:

So will norco release 2 bikes or was the double crowned bike we all saw a super enduro being thoroughly tested?

Edthorne wrote:

Possibly one bike with two stroke options for the shock? Maybe 170-180 & single crown vs 190-200 & dual crown?Also didn't someone mention a bottle mount they spotted on the DH bike?

I saw the DH proto in the Whistler Bikepark, and it did have bottle mounts. It did not look anything like this though, with much different proportions. The seat tube was in a different position. I think they are doing the same thing as Specialized did with the Demo and Enduro, using a very similar suspension design, but slightly different looks and proportions.

|

2020 Specialized Enduro w/ 38 + X2, XT 12s
60 days a year in the WBP

9/5/2020 10:12 PM

Primoz wrote:

I'm not sure why all the rage over narrow rear ends? The feet are much wider after all. I mean is it for heel clearance or for obstacle clearance?

BTW, I'm kinda wondering what would happen if the swingarm was pivoting around the upper drivetrain axle/shaft instead of the 'BB'. It would be a high pivot and would have less unsprung weight. Sure, the rotational speeds of it currently are low, but not zero! smile

Big Bird wrote:

We don't always ride straight. One might, when riding around or through some rocks, pay attention to ones feet and avoid any collision and then lean in and scrape the derailleur off on the way by.

My demo had a 135mm rear end, they designed it like that to "get through rock gardens"

all it resulted in was huge wheel flex in berms lol. Shit idea. But good on paper I suppose.

|

9/6/2020 1:03 AM

Well 135 and 142 are the same flange width wise. And boost was brought in for the 29ers if anything. With the 7spd cassettes a 135/142 rear end could probably be made to work. If the flange spacing was OK and the rear end still flexy, then it's down to suspension/frame design.

|

9/8/2020 4:54 PM

|

9/10/2020 9:12 AM

I heard some chatter about the 2021 stumpjumper on a different forum. Supposedly it looks similar to the 2020 (basically it’s not switching to the demo style linkage) but has a completely reworked suspension design that might be using flex stays

|

9/10/2020 9:31 AM

bermslapper69 wrote:

I heard some chatter about the 2021 stumpjumper on a different forum. Supposedly it looks similar to the 2020 (basically it’s not switching to the demo style linkage) but has a completely reworked suspension design that might be using flex stays

Link?

|

9/10/2020 10:25 AM

RE New Stumpjumper:
I forgot to save the image myself before it was taken down. Definitely no traditional horst-link. Looks almost like an Epic EVO rear end mated to current Stumpy front triangle (albeit longer/slacker).

And the specs listed a 45mm(?!) stroke shock. I can't imagine a shock that short for anything over 120mm. But the specs didn't say it was the ST model that had that shock. So if the bike is 130mm, that's a high 2.89 leverage ratio. No way they're using 45mm to get 140mm. So this lends to the thought there is a Stumpy that's a 120mm bike. Then maybe a Stumpy EVO with 140mm and possibly horst link. Then the Enduro to top of their trail range.

|

9/10/2020 11:43 AM

Unless they’ve discovered something new, I’d be surprised if they’re able to get more than 120mm from a flex stay design without using an unreasonable leverage ratio.

|

9/10/2020 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2020 12:54 PM

Why would the leverage ratio be an issue? (for the flex stays of course, the way it's worded it implies that these are connected)

|

9/10/2020 12:53 PM

Anyone got any word on these? I've been riding a loaner 2020 Primer 275 lately and really loving it. Looking at what my options are for my next bike and Intense definitely has my interest! smile

Photo

|

9/10/2020 12:57 PM

pohsoonteng wrote:

Anyone got any word on these? I've been riding a loaner 2020 Primer 275 lately and really loving it. Looking at what my options are for my next bike and Intense definitely has my interest! smile

Photo

Looks like you can get it here...

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/megatower

|

9/10/2020 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2020 1:06 PM

pohsoonteng wrote:

Anyone got any word on these? I've been riding a loaner 2020 Primer 275 lately and really loving it. Looking at what my options are for my next bike and Intense definitely has my interest! smile

Photo

chriskief wrote:

Looks like you can get it here...

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/megatower

Not a fan of the IS headset of the Santa Cruz bikes. The new Intense looks to be a mullet which is great because I am 5'8 with short legs. I believe there was another thread where I explained why i don't like 29 in the back but to sum it up, it's the BB drop in relation to the rear axle. Also, if we really are going to talk about who did the lower shock mounting link first, we should be talking about the Banshee Legend which for some reason many seem to have forgotten about.

|

9/10/2020 1:15 PM

Primoz wrote:

Why would the leverage ratio be an issue? (for the flex stays of course, the way it's worded it implies that these are connected)

No I’m just saying that they only seem to be able to get a certain amount of flex out of the stays so far so in order to get more travel they would have to use a higher leverage ratio which seems less fashionable nowadays. Unless they have come up with a way to get more flex from the stays, which is possible?

|

9/10/2020 1:24 PM

pohsoonteng wrote:

Not a fan of the IS headset of the Santa Cruz bikes. The new Intense looks to be a mullet which is great because I am 5'8 with short legs. I believe there was another thread where I explained why i don't like 29 in the back but to sum it up, it's the BB drop in relation to the rear axle. Also, if we really are going to talk about who did the lower shock mounting link first, we should be talking about the Banshee Legend which for some reason many seem to have forgotten about.

The Legend is a co-rotating link arrangement, the Intense and Santa Cruz bikes use a counter rotating link arrangement.

Also, if you go by your logic, you have the Demo 9.

|