MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
hukriede
3/21/2023 1:51pm

Now with all this new SRAM transmission news, I think the real news for most of us that don't want to buy the XO or XX versions, is when are they releasing the GX version?!

brash
3/21/2023 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2023 2:06pm

unbreakable they say..... hold my beer.

How come some days it seems like there is no new releases, then all these companies drop their gear on the same day. Say for instance the TRP driveline, holy shit release it last week or something. Now all you see on all the outlets is "the eagle has landed" etc etc, just bad timing and a probably great product has it's thunder stolen by a GigaCorp with much more to spend on marketing.

3/21/2023 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2023 2:16pm
brash wrote:
unbreakable they say..... hold my beer. How come some days it seems like there is no new releases, then all these companies drop their gear on...

unbreakable they say..... hold my beer.

How come some days it seems like there is no new releases, then all these companies drop their gear on the same day. Say for instance the TRP driveline, holy shit release it last week or something. Now all you see on all the outlets is "the eagle has landed" etc etc, just bad timing and a probably great product has it's thunder stolen by a GigaCorp with much more to spend on marketing.

Good chance SRAM knew when Trp was dropping and scheduled for same date to bury it in the news

Primoz
3/21/2023 2:16pm

To be honest I noticed the TRP stuff much more than if it was released a week ago. A week ago it would have been 'nice, I wonder what Sram will put out'. Now it's like 'TF is Sram smoking with these prices and features, TRP looks like an utter win compared to this'.

3/21/2023 2:18pm
JerseyMojo wrote:
Are TLD working on a Dropframe equivalent? On Kyle Straits instagram..   

Are TLD working on a Dropframe equivalent? On Kyle Straits instagram.. 37C83A31-9D09-4E04-B908-D0BBF25FD05C

Another shot

F8EFAA2C-20D4-41CB-AF0D-D8CBF7B571CD

BrambleLee
3/21/2023 2:20pm
I'm curious what the refinements to the Epic Evo would be, if they added 10mm of travel, 20 mm of reach, and a SWAT box it...

I'm curious what the refinements to the Epic Evo would be, if they added 10mm of travel, 20 mm of reach, and a SWAT box it would be my dream bike.  

So like, a Stumpjumper?

Finkill
3/21/2023 2:33pm

The SRAM XX SL chain is £160 in the UK. That is a LOT of money for a chain and a lot more than existing 12-speed chains. For £160 I would want a self cleaning/lubricating chain. 

3/21/2023 2:50pm

I was thinking that now would be a good time to change out to the GX axs considering the events of the day. However, GX is still expensive! $600 for basically a shifter and a rear d. is way more then l want to spend. 

gibbon
3/21/2023 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2023 3:01pm
Finkill wrote:
The SRAM XX SL chain is £160 in the UK. That is a LOT of money for a chain and a lot more than existing 12-speed...

The SRAM XX SL chain is £160 in the UK. That is a LOT of money for a chain and a lot more than existing 12-speed chains. For £160 I would want a self cleaning/lubricating chain. 

How is it almost 3x the cost of a Red 12sp flat top chain?!?!?

BrambleLee
3/21/2023 3:07pm

When AXS first launched in 2019, the groupset pricing was $1900 for X01 and $2k for XX1. And look, it's a lot of money, no two ways around it. But coming in at $1600 and $2050 with the new stuff, with the way prices have gone up for just about everything over the intervening period is pretty impressive.

I'm not in the market, I'm very happy with what I'm currently on (mostly Shimano), and I don't really do upgrades anyway. Buy once cry once, you know? But if I were building up a new bike, this stuff would be hard to ignore.

gbcoke
3/21/2023 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2023 3:35pm

I see alot of discussion about high pricing on Sram, but is there anyone here not buying Sram from German websites ?

Much much cheaper than Msrp

I believe pricing for the new stuff will be a bit expensive now when it's new and all but will come down once the hype ends.

3/21/2023 3:42pm
gbcoke wrote:
I see alot of discussion about high pricing on Sram, but is there anyone here not buying Sram from German websites ? Much much cheaper than...

I see alot of discussion about high pricing on Sram, but is there anyone here not buying Sram from German websites ?

I believe pricing for the new stuff will be a bit expensive now when it's new and all but will come down once the hype ends.

Excuse my ignorance but do they ship to the states and is the shipping outrageous? 

Simpancz
3/21/2023 3:48pm
gbcoke wrote:
I see alot of discussion about high pricing on Sram, but is there anyone here not buying Sram from German websites ? Much much cheaper than...

You can not buy anything of German sites made by big players like Shimano, Sram, Fox..

nskerb
3/21/2023 3:54pm

I keep commenting really dumb shit, but I'm thinking of a couple things, SRAM related. 

-they have a 4 piston Level T now, between those and the Codes, I'm assuming they will bail on guides right? Rip guide. 

-No Boxxer released. Wonder if its waiting until Sea Otter, along with the Vivid looking shock. 

3/21/2023 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2023 5:04pm
hukriede wrote:
Now with all this new SRAM transmission news, I think the real news for most of us that don't want to buy the XO or XX...

Now with all this new SRAM transmission news, I think the real news for most of us that don't want to buy the XO or XX versions, is when are they releasing the GX version?!

This will be June. Eurobike, I believe.

jonkranked
3/21/2023 7:03pm
gbcoke wrote:

Simpancz wrote:

You can not buy anything of German sites made by big players like Shimano, Sram, Fox..

CRC too.  they cracked down on that a number of years ago. 

3/21/2023 7:14pm
gbcoke wrote:

Embargoes!

SRAM's been on it for a while, Shimano put the lockdown on like 5 or 6 years ago. They were killing LBS's with the pricing. In many cases, selling for less than an LBS could get at dealer price

Lotta the big German shops either own or are under the same ownership as a bike brand, so they can get enormous quantities of parts at OEM pricing. Combine that with the buying power of a mega-retailer and the removal of the VAT and you have even stupider pricing. 

There are some good things that aren't embargoed on the sites, but you also gotta decide whether you care about your LBS or how much you care about it

I think a lot of people also forget that US brand pricing is mainly only advantageous to US customers and vice versa. Magura and hope brakes are expensive stateside, but pretty affordable on the other side of the puddle

Primoz
3/21/2023 10:29pm
BrambleLee wrote:
When AXS first launched in 2019, the groupset pricing was $1900 for X01 and $2k for XX1. And look, it's a lot of money, no two...

When AXS first launched in 2019, the groupset pricing was $1900 for X01 and $2k for XX1. And look, it's a lot of money, no two ways around it. But coming in at $1600 and $2050 with the new stuff, with the way prices have gone up for just about everything over the intervening period is pretty impressive.

I'm not in the market, I'm very happy with what I'm currently on (mostly Shimano), and I don't really do upgrades anyway. Buy once cry once, you know? But if I were building up a new bike, this stuff would be hard to ignore.

Bike24 has a lot of stuff in stock. I'll focus on two components though, not the complete groupsets.

The XX SL chain is 178 €. The XX chain is 148 €. The XX cassette is 656 €, the X0 cassette is 478 €. This is street pricing. If you want to compare the MSRPs of the previous gen, X01 carbon crankset is 401 € as per Sram, the new aluminium one is 360. The chainss are 180 and 150 € (XX SL and XX), the old X01 chain MSRP is 72 €. Street price is ~55 €. The street price for the X01 cassette is ~300 €.

While there is some 'room for things to get cheaper' as is the usual case with Sram MSRP pricing, even comparing the MSRPs of the chains is insane. X01 chains are hard chromed and are nearly indestructible. The new X0 chain is 'PVD coated to prevent corrosion' (does not give me the same confidence as hard chroming off the bat) and has solid pins. The XX brings hollow pins and the XX SL brings additional holes in the plates.

How exactly is it 'cry once' if an objectively worse design of the main wear item of the drivetrain has gotten almost exactly twice as expensive? And features wise, it currently looks like the X0 chain has effectively become the GX tier, which currently costs ~25 € on the street (MSRP 36 €). So comparing like for like the chain has gotten way more than twice as expensive, comparing current street prices it has gotten almost three times as expensive (XX vs. X01). Is it going to last three times as long? I sincerely doubt it.

And the crankset? 360 MSRP for the aluminium version? That must be some jolly expensive aluminium for it to cost 10 % less than the expensive carbon version (the GX level carbon cranks have an MSRP of 321 €, street price is 240 €).

Without going into technical details just the pricing alone is a complete WTF in my opinion. And the crazier part of it is that this kind of pricing has been unleashed on the consumer EXACTLY at the time of the lowest bike sales in the last 20 years, at the time of massive discounts, an incoming (industry or worlwdie?) crisis and expected price drops. Eagle coming out was a clear winner. This... I wish Sram the best.

BrambleLee
3/21/2023 11:22pm
BrambleLee wrote:
When AXS first launched in 2019, the groupset pricing was $1900 for X01 and $2k for XX1. And look, it's a lot of money, no two...

Primoz wrote:
Bike24 has a lot of stuff in stock. I'll focus on two components though, not the complete groupsets. The XX SL chain is 178 €. The...

Bike24 has a lot of stuff in stock. I'll focus on two components though, not the complete groupsets.

The XX SL chain is 178 €. The XX chain is 148 €. The XX cassette is 656 €, the X0 cassette is 478 €. This is street pricing. If you want to compare the MSRPs of the previous gen, X01 carbon crankset is 401 € as per Sram, the new aluminium one is 360. The chainss are 180 and 150 € (XX SL and XX), the old X01 chain MSRP is 72 €. Street price is ~55 €. The street price for the X01 cassette is ~300 €.

While there is some 'room for things to get cheaper' as is the usual case with Sram MSRP pricing, even comparing the MSRPs of the chains is insane. X01 chains are hard chromed and are nearly indestructible. The new X0 chain is 'PVD coated to prevent corrosion' (does not give me the same confidence as hard chroming off the bat) and has solid pins. The XX brings hollow pins and the XX SL brings additional holes in the plates.

How exactly is it 'cry once' if an objectively worse design of the main wear item of the drivetrain has gotten almost exactly twice as expensive? And features wise, it currently looks like the X0 chain has effectively become the GX tier, which currently costs ~25 € on the street (MSRP 36 €). So comparing like for like the chain has gotten way more than twice as expensive, comparing current street prices it has gotten almost three times as expensive (XX vs. X01). Is it going to last three times as long? I sincerely doubt it.

And the crankset? 360 MSRP for the aluminium version? That must be some jolly expensive aluminium for it to cost 10 % less than the expensive carbon version (the GX level carbon cranks have an MSRP of 321 €, street price is 240 €).

Without going into technical details just the pricing alone is a complete WTF in my opinion. And the crazier part of it is that this kind of pricing has been unleashed on the consumer EXACTLY at the time of the lowest bike sales in the last 20 years, at the time of massive discounts, an incoming (industry or worlwdie?) crisis and expected price drops. Eagle coming out was a clear winner. This... I wish Sram the best.

I mean, that’s fair for sure too. The way they used to talk about the difference between XX1 and X01 is now the way they’re talking about the difference between XX SL and XX. The XO has definitely been downgraded in some key ways. 

luisgutrod
3/21/2023 11:53pm

I am patiently waiting for the new rockshox stuff, as I will need a new DH fork for this summer.... 

Primoz
3/22/2023 12:56am
BrambleLee wrote:

Primoz wrote:
Bike24 has a lot of stuff in stock. I'll focus on two components though, not the complete groupsets. The XX SL chain is 178 €. The...

BrambleLee wrote:
I mean, that’s fair for sure too. The way they used to talk about the difference between XX1 and X01 is now the way they’re talking...

I mean, that’s fair for sure too. The way they used to talk about the difference between XX1 and X01 is now the way they’re talking about the difference between XX SL and XX. The XO has definitely been downgraded in some key ways. 

To be honest I think the differences between XX1 and X01 were much smaller than they are now. The chains are the same (XX1 chains appear to be coated after assembly, taking apart the black one shows silver contact faces between the inner and outer links, so it almost looks like a a cosmetic coating in the case of the black one), the cassettes are the same, the XX1 derailleur had a carbon cage? And the carbon crank doesn't have the foam core in the case of XX1 while the X01 does have it (making it stronger apparently). 

There are a ton of feature differences and material changes between X0 and XX now that impact the function a lot more than it did previously. 

Primoz
3/22/2023 1:27am

Just saw the prices for the new Code Stealth too. 'RSC' level is 330 € per side, Ultimate level is 370 € per side. So 'one for the price of two' kinda deal compared to the standard RSCs.

3/22/2023 2:15am
luisgutrod wrote:

I am patiently waiting for the new rockshox stuff, as I will need a new DH fork for this summer.... 

Have you tried a Dorado? If not, do try it - that’s how you’ll figure it out that you need one in your life! 😁

3/22/2023 2:24am
 New Neuron on Quinney's profile. Seems the only real difference is headset cable routing. Chew my fat one Canyon.

p0pb24414197

New Neuron on Quinney's profile. Seems the only real difference is headset cable routing. Chew my fat one Canyon.

geometry, lighter frame, chain device, frame protection, pivot hardware updates, cable routing, and "the wallet." That's a decent amount of change even though it doesn't really...

geometry, lighter frame, chain device, frame protection, pivot hardware updates, cable routing, and "the wallet."

That's a decent amount of change even though it doesn't really look like it visually. Call it whatever you want, evolution, refinement. It's not just the same bike with headset routing. Did you want a whole new suspension layout?

"Seems".

I didn't have the article to go on when I found the photos. Put some ice on that chubby.

So I'm assuming you made a bicycle version of this for yourself. Flame on! 

The jump to conclusions mat – BOZEDTECH

Back on topic. Boxxer and SID all have their own release dates over the next few months, so just gotta be patient. The SRAM PR train is doing a good job with the hype buildup and apparently, people are being real good about not being photographed with new stuff months in advance!

Here's a new theory. Was the Craigslist sale a "planned oopsy" like when Apple employees "accidentally" left their prototype phones at a bar/restaurant? 

Primoz
3/22/2023 2:51am

Pinkbike has a development story about the new Sram stuff where it's mentioned the new crank is a one piece crank-and-spindle part. But the accompanying picture is of a forged crank and a separate axle.

Do we have a confirmation that it is actually a single piece? That would somewhat explain the price but my god is that a saving pennies (or grams) by spending dollars kinda situation...

Also, tin foil hat on... A friend of mine mentioned the possibility the prices are this high to squarely position the new stuff in the utmost highend. That would mean high cashflows even with lower volumes. Higher margin per sold product situation. The idea is that Sram and Shimano would take over the high end stuff and leave the lower end to incoming, smaller, Asian players. Tektro and Microshift being two examples (Tektro does have TRP, I know), but there is an impending influx of Chinese brands in the lower end as well.

Looking at the road stuff and all of it going electronic big S wise, this is not an impossible idea to be honest... 

3/22/2023 2:56am
luisgutrod wrote:

Why not just buy Ohlins right now? Its better anyway

luisgutrod
3/22/2023 3:32am

Why not just buy Ohlins right now? Its better anyway

I know, but I dont need the ferrari, fine with the civic.

gibbon
3/22/2023 4:01am

the possibility the prices are this high to squarely position the new stuff in the utmost highend. That would mean high cashflows even with lower volumes

If you can afford 10k for a pushbike , you can probably afford 12k.

Finkill
3/22/2023 4:18am
Primoz wrote:
Pinkbike has a development story about the new Sram stuff where it's mentioned the new crank is a one piece crank-and-spindle part. But the accompanying picture...

Pinkbike has a development story about the new Sram stuff where it's mentioned the new crank is a one piece crank-and-spindle part. But the accompanying picture is of a forged crank and a separate axle.

Do we have a confirmation that it is actually a single piece? That would somewhat explain the price but my god is that a saving pennies (or grams) by spending dollars kinda situation...

Also, tin foil hat on... A friend of mine mentioned the possibility the prices are this high to squarely position the new stuff in the utmost highend. That would mean high cashflows even with lower volumes. Higher margin per sold product situation. The idea is that Sram and Shimano would take over the high end stuff and leave the lower end to incoming, smaller, Asian players. Tektro and Microshift being two examples (Tektro does have TRP, I know), but there is an impending influx of Chinese brands in the lower end as well.

Looking at the road stuff and all of it going electronic big S wise, this is not an impossible idea to be honest... 

Shimano just released a ton of budget/mass market products under the Cues 'groupset' so not exactly leaving the low end market to others. More like Shimano doubling down on their dominance of the low/mid end of the market. 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest