MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
smelly
8/2/2020 12:07pm
Prototype Mondraker? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/08/01/9799/s1200_F754B26A_EF83_4D52_9453_D94D496CEB97.jpg[/img]
Prototype Mondraker?
shreda wrote:
Bulldog riding a DH bike hard enough to be testing and riding DH bikes is way cooler than the news of a new rig.
metadave
8/2/2020 8:15pm
Prototype Mondraker? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/08/01/9799/s1200_F754B26A_EF83_4D52_9453_D94D496CEB97.jpg[/img]
Prototype Mondraker?
shreda wrote:
smelly wrote:
Bulldog riding a DH bike hard enough to be testing and riding DH bikes is way cooler than the news of a new rig.
Come back of the century. I've been a Brook fan for a long time and I'm stoked he's back at it hard again.
pohsoonteng
8/3/2020 7:37am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2020 7:38am
Media embargo has been lifted so here's the new 2020 SixSixOne Radia Goggles... Smile

8/3/2020 3:12pm
Something weird going on with Loic’s bike... maybe some goodies from Öhlins? Or could it be some extra mass down low to change the sprung to...
Something weird going on with Loic’s bike... maybe some goodies from Öhlins? Or could it be some extra mass down low to change the sprung to unsprung weight ratio?

Perhaps some fancy Ohlins data acquisition system for the rear shock?
Left Shifter and cable on the back of the Bruni bar ! maybe for remote or acquisistion rear shock ...
Primoz
8/3/2020 11:09pm
Given how its ziptied to the handlebars, I call (electrical) cable for data acquisition. We know they have buttons on the handlebars to send pings to the system as a marker for a detailed check.
8/4/2020 7:14am
Not sure if anyone’s caught it yet, but Kona’s new enduro bike in on their website. The New “Process X” has 161mm rear, 170mm front with the ability to be full 29 or mullet thanks to an adjustable chainstay chip. Geo is more long and stable than playful from what I can gather (450mm cs length in long setting, 490 reach for a large and a 63.5 HA) gonna be a sick bike. Their new slacked out honzo is live as well
MiSo11
8/4/2020 8:32am
Not sure if anyone’s caught it yet, but Kona’s new enduro bike in on their website. The New “Process X” has 161mm rear, 170mm front with...
Not sure if anyone’s caught it yet, but Kona’s new enduro bike in on their website. The New “Process X” has 161mm rear, 170mm front with the ability to be full 29 or mullet thanks to an adjustable chainstay chip. Geo is more long and stable than playful from what I can gather (450mm cs length in long setting, 490 reach for a large and a 63.5 HA) gonna be a sick bike. Their new slacked out honzo is live as well
It looks like there is a flip chip to run a 29 or 27.5 rear wheel.
Poleczechy
8/4/2020 8:56am
Not sure if anyone’s caught it yet, but Kona’s new enduro bike in on their website. The New “Process X” has 161mm rear, 170mm front with...
MiSo11 wrote:
It looks like there is a flip chip to run a 29 or 27.5 rear wheel. [img]https://images.konaworld.com/2021/details/process_x/2.jpg[/img]
It looks like there is a flip chip to run a 29 or 27.5 rear wheel.
Looks like they have the new Honzo lineup as well, finally updating the steel frame geo:
https://www.konaworld.com/honzo_esd.cfm

8/4/2020 9:08am
It looks the process 153 has also been changed at least the alloy version.
8/4/2020 3:54pm
Interested to know the differences between the norco and the devinci given that now we now they share the same design.
8/4/2020 9:58pm
brash wrote:
So I wasn't tripping balls in Queenstown nearly a year ago. I was seeing this thing in pre-production. https://vorsprungsuspension.com/collections/all/products/secus-air-spring-upgrade [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/08/04/9803/s1200_secco.jpg[/img]
So I wasn't tripping balls in Queenstown nearly a year ago. I was seeing this thing in pre-production.

https://vorsprungsuspension.com/collections/all/products/secus-air-spri…

This is getting interesting!
Primoz
8/4/2020 11:31pm
Interested to know the differences between the norco and the devinci given that now we now they share the same design.
Nitpicking, they don't. The devinci doesn't have as high of a pivot and doesn't have an idler. So it should have more kickback. And the Norco is a Horst link with quite a bit of overhang from the pivot (chainstay rotation will influence the axle path as well then, the devinci is a bit a single pivot), there are probably differences in chainstay rotation, influencing the brake induced squat, etc. Then there's the whole thing about antisquat curves, leverage ratio, etc. Those can be very different even on similar designs.

But granted, they are more similar in the layout compared to say the least a Demo or Session. But as always, the devil is in the details.
8/5/2020 9:47am
Primoz wrote:
Nitpicking, they don't. The devinci doesn't have as high of a pivot and doesn't have an idler. So it should have more kickback. And the Norco...
Nitpicking, they don't. The devinci doesn't have as high of a pivot and doesn't have an idler. So it should have more kickback. And the Norco is a Horst link with quite a bit of overhang from the pivot (chainstay rotation will influence the axle path as well then, the devinci is a bit a single pivot), there are probably differences in chainstay rotation, influencing the brake induced squat, etc. Then there's the whole thing about antisquat curves, leverage ratio, etc. Those can be very different even on similar designs.

But granted, they are more similar in the layout compared to say the least a Demo or Session. But as always, the devil is in the details.
Yes you are right. I was oversimplifying because we weeren't sure about flexstays and now we know their similar bikes. Indeed the norco has the axle on the chainstays while the wilson has it concdntric to the rear pivot. I wonder why they changeed heir bike after just 2 years, the current aurum is a beauty and seems to work well.
Primoz
8/5/2020 10:30am
It was specifically said there will be no alu mule for the current bike as the stresses in the swingarm are too high for it. So the, the had to go straight to carbon. This is a much simpler design that can be easily made out of aluminium, now that we know there's a pivot on the rear. That means they can make a complete stack of bikes, not just high end ones. And it's a simpler concept to design, tune and manufacture.
8/5/2020 12:21pm
Primoz wrote:
It was specifically said there will be no alu mule for the current bike as the stresses in the swingarm are too high for it. So...
It was specifically said there will be no alu mule for the current bike as the stresses in the swingarm are too high for it. So the, the had to go straight to carbon. This is a much simpler design that can be easily made out of aluminium, now that we know there's a pivot on the rear. That means they can make a complete stack of bikes, not just high end ones. And it's a simpler concept to design, tune and manufacture.
Maybe they are possibly even thinking of migrating this platform to their Enduro and trail bikes in the next generation. Not that there is any issue with the current design but it doesn't exactly stand apart either.
Primoz
8/5/2020 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2020 12:36pm
There's a picture a few pages back, just before the DH rig was pictured, showing a single crown bike with an idler. Supposedly it's not a Range but, given the rumblings, a Shore (a longer travel bike than the Range?). The rocker link is unmistakably Norco though. And people have said that they have seen and even ridden a new Range that is supposedly also high pivot with an idler.

So in the high pivot, idler regard, yes, they do appear to be moving towards it in the 'next generation'. I'm not sure if an idler is the correct solution for a pedaled bike, given how small they tend to be and how noisy they are _supposedly_ (haven't tried one yet, but I would LOVE to), but it does have some benefits. And the reasons why I don't think they are ideal could be fixed as well, but the packaging could be a bit of an issue.

Regardless, the Sight does appear to be an awesome bike from what I've seen and is at the forefront of what the market is offering. And they have a good mix of aluminium and carbon plus the spec on those bikes, unlike some brands where it's either carbon or the highway (or a shitty poverty spec in aluminium). And they are doing some VERY cool stuff with the Ride Aligned program even more so considering I'm in the XL territory, so I'm very partial to those kinds of things).
JayDawger
8/5/2020 8:13pm
Primoz wrote:
There's a picture a few pages back, just before the DH rig was pictured, showing a single crown bike with an idler. Supposedly it's not a...
There's a picture a few pages back, just before the DH rig was pictured, showing a single crown bike with an idler. Supposedly it's not a Range but, given the rumblings, a Shore (a longer travel bike than the Range?). The rocker link is unmistakably Norco though. And people have said that they have seen and even ridden a new Range that is supposedly also high pivot with an idler.

So in the high pivot, idler regard, yes, they do appear to be moving towards it in the 'next generation'. I'm not sure if an idler is the correct solution for a pedaled bike, given how small they tend to be and how noisy they are _supposedly_ (haven't tried one yet, but I would LOVE to), but it does have some benefits. And the reasons why I don't think they are ideal could be fixed as well, but the packaging could be a bit of an issue.

Regardless, the Sight does appear to be an awesome bike from what I've seen and is at the forefront of what the market is offering. And they have a good mix of aluminium and carbon plus the spec on those bikes, unlike some brands where it's either carbon or the highway (or a shitty poverty spec in aluminium). And they are doing some VERY cool stuff with the Ride Aligned program even more so considering I'm in the XL territory, so I'm very partial to those kinds of things).
maybe the front end of the new Range is the same as the new DH bike.... just have to switch rear ends and that's why Norco is changing up the DH bike.
Primoz
8/5/2020 11:36pm
Primoz wrote:
There's a picture a few pages back, just before the DH rig was pictured, showing a single crown bike with an idler. Supposedly it's not a...

JayDawger wrote:
maybe the front end of the new Range is the same as the new DH bike.... just have to switch rear ends and that's why Norco...
maybe the front end of the new Range is the same as the new DH bike.... just have to switch rear ends and that's why Norco is changing up the DH bike.
Axle to crown, seat tube length, angle, reach and stack values, shock length and stroke for the resulting wheel travel, antisquat values, etc. etc. All of this is different and you can't really use the same frame for more than one bike. I mean you can, but it's a compromise then.
Aushred
8/5/2020 11:49pm
Primoz wrote:
Axle to crown, seat tube length, angle, reach and stack values, shock length and stroke for the resulting wheel travel, antisquat values, etc. etc. All of...
Axle to crown, seat tube length, angle, reach and stack values, shock length and stroke for the resulting wheel travel, antisquat values, etc. etc. All of this is different and you can't really use the same frame for more than one bike. I mean you can, but it's a compromise then.
Tell that to Guerrilla Gravity
Primoz
8/5/2020 11:52pm
I knew someone will mention them. As I said, compromises, it's not possible without some compromises. What those are for them I don't know. But nevertheless. Plus they don't have a DH bike sharing a frame with an enduro bike.
Eoin
8/6/2020 1:08am
baronKanon wrote:
Finally the Schwalbe super line is out! https://schwalbe.com/decadeofsuper/en I have studied them, and it seems the weights are quite "chubby" for the SuperTrail and up. 1200...
Finally the Schwalbe super line is out!
https://schwalbe.com/decadeofsuper/en

I have studied them, and it seems the weights are quite "chubby" for the SuperTrail and up. 1200 for a 29x2.4" tire SuperTrail (no SuperGravity carcass)?!?
Nice! Any links to the weights?

I was a bit dissapointed that there were no "heavy" speedgrip tyres, but like you said "super trail" might actually be quite close to the last gen "super gravity". Whereas some of the new super gravity weights look very high at 1300+

from https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-super-trail…
Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Super Trail 2.6 SnakeSkin TLEasy Addix SpeedGrip Stripe blue
Größe: ETRTO 60-622 (29 x 2.35 Zoll) <- kinda confusing as to whether it is a 2.35 or 2.6 version
Weight: 1150g (manufacturer information)
8/6/2020 1:12am
Eoin wrote:
Nice! Any links to the weights? I was a bit dissapointed that there were no "heavy" speedgrip tyres, but like you said "super trail" might actually...
Nice! Any links to the weights?

I was a bit dissapointed that there were no "heavy" speedgrip tyres, but like you said "super trail" might actually be quite close to the last gen "super gravity". Whereas some of the new super gravity weights look very high at 1300+

from https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-super-trail…
Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Super Trail 2.6 SnakeSkin TLEasy Addix SpeedGrip Stripe blue
Größe: ETRTO 60-622 (29 x 2.35 Zoll) <- kinda confusing as to whether it is a 2.35 or 2.6 version
Weight: 1150g (manufacturer information)
Weight is listed here:
https://schwalbe.com/en/mtb

Regarding the size, 2.6" is 65mm, 2.4" is 62mm and 2.35" is 60mm in Schwalbe tires.
Eoin
8/6/2020 3:39am
I see them now thanks. Wow, some of the supertrail tyres are very heavy: big betty 29x2.4 = 1200g and 1300g in 2.6! Wow bigpark tyres are in the 1.6kg range...

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest