MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
Primoz
11/19/2022 3:07pm

@jakelecluse the gearbox is just a Pinion by the looks of it, nothing surprising there. The idler is a different thing though.

FullSend
11/19/2022 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2022 9:25pm
Gearbox Geometron/Nicolai G1    

That's a fully custom frame, not a stock one. Nicolai offers that service. They'll design you a custom frame to your specifications if you ask them nicely.

Primoz
11/19/2022 11:55pm

I knew about custom geometry, custom suspension is a bit outside that though. Interesting to know they can go full custom though (would make sense for them to be that adaptable considering they have everything in house).

FullSend
11/20/2022 6:54am
Primoz wrote:
I knew about custom geometry, custom suspension is a bit outside that though. Interesting to know they can go full custom though (would make sense for...

I knew about custom geometry, custom suspension is a bit outside that though. Interesting to know they can go full custom though (would make sense for them to be that adaptable considering they have everything in house).

I think it's super cool.

If you've got an idea that makes sense, they'll design and build a fully custom frame for you. As far as I know they are actually the only big-ish bike company left to offer that service to just anybody. It's not even that expensive either. Having them design and manufacture you a fully custom frame is cheaper than what a Santa Cruz frameset costs these days.

One of my neighbours has a custom Nicolai bike. It's loosely based on the G1, but has customized suspension to facilitate a longer shock and different kinematics, fully custom reach and stack, a reverse BB offset, a straight ZS 56mm head tube to facilitate a reach-adjust headset, loads of gussets everywhere, etc.

boozed
11/20/2022 2:37pm
Primoz wrote:
I knew about custom geometry, custom suspension is a bit outside that though. Interesting to know they can go full custom though (would make sense for...

FullSend wrote:
I think it's super cool. If you've got an idea that makes sense, they'll design and build a fully custom frame for you. As far as...

I think it's super cool.

If you've got an idea that makes sense, they'll design and build a fully custom frame for you. As far as I know they are actually the only big-ish bike company left to offer that service to just anybody. It's not even that expensive either. Having them design and manufacture you a fully custom frame is cheaper than what a Santa Cruz frameset costs these days.

One of my neighbours has a custom Nicolai bike. It's loosely based on the G1, but has customized suspension to facilitate a longer shock and different kinematics, fully custom reach and stack, a reverse BB offset, a straight ZS 56mm head tube to facilitate a reach-adjust headset, loads of gussets everywhere, etc.

Do they have a bike check here, or any chance of talking them into one?

thegromit
11/21/2022 8:08am
FullSend wrote:
I think it's super cool. If you've got an idea that makes sense, they'll design and build a fully custom frame for you. As far as...

I think it's super cool.

Get a pic

sspomer
11/21/2022 8:26am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2022 8:34am

Magura just splashed up this video detailing their latest wireless dropper seatpost, the Vyron MDS- V3.

The internals are explained and shown in the vid

- 700g approx weight

- 30.9 or 31.6 diameters

- 100, 125, 150 and 175mm drops w/ some adjustability

- remote has a matchmaker-like interface w/ magura levers

- the battery isn't brand-specific rechargable like a reverb, it's a replaceable CR2-style that they say will run for a year. there are rechargeable CR2 batteries easily purchased anywhere.

price approx $600 USD - https://www.magura-vyron.com/en

11/21/2022 8:35am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2022 8:38am
sspomer wrote:
Magura just splashed up this video detailing their latest wireless dropper seatpost, the Vyron MDS- V3.   The internals are explained and shown in the vid...

Magura just splashed up this video detailing their latest wireless dropper seatpost, the Vyron MDS- V3.

- 700g approx weight

- 30.9 or 31.6 diameters

- the battery isn't brand-specific rechargable like a reverb, it's a replaceable CR2-style that they say will run for a year. there are rechargeable CR2 batteries easily purchased anywhere.

At 600ish that may be worth it for the next bike.  Building up an e commuter rowdy enough for trailwork and the occasional xc ride.  Just pop it in there for trail days and have a rigid post for commuting.  Still a stretch but easier to justify than nearly 900.

11/21/2022 8:39am

Just saw a review of the new Vyron on enduro-MTB. Still delay and slow movement. It wasn't recommended compared to the competition.

gbcoke
11/21/2022 9:07am
sspomer wrote:
Magura just splashed up this video detailing their latest wireless dropper seatpost, the Vyron MDS- V3.   The internals are explained and shown in the vid...

- 700g approx weight

- 30.9 or 31.6 diameters

At 600ish that may be worth it for the next bike.  Building up an e commuter rowdy enough for trailwork and the occasional xc ride.  Just...

At 600ish that may be worth it for the next bike.  Building up an e commuter rowdy enough for trailwork and the occasional xc ride.  Just pop it in there for trail days and have a rigid post for commuting.  Still a stretch but easier to justify than nearly 900.

Who pays actual msrp on Sram these days ? Reverb axs in Europe is less than 600$ on most big German sites...

bcurrancy
11/21/2022 11:16am
sspomer wrote:

- 700g approx weight

- 30.9 or 31.6 diameters

At 600ish that may be worth it for the next bike.  Building up an e commuter rowdy enough for trailwork and the occasional xc ride.  Just...

gbcoke wrote:

Who pays actual msrp on Sram these days ? Reverb axs in Europe is less than 600$ on most big German sites...

They're $861 from all the major US sites

bmied31
11/21/2022 7:00pm
baronKanon wrote:

Just saw a review of the new Vyron on enduro-MTB. Still delay and slow movement. It wasn't recommended compared to the competition.

That's the old model

11/22/2022 8:24am

FullSend wrote:
That's a fully custom frame, not a stock one. Nicolai offers that service. They'll design you a custom frame to your specifications if you ask them...

That's a fully custom frame, not a stock one. Nicolai offers that service. They'll design you a custom frame to your specifications if you ask them nicely.

You're sure they'd do such a bike for just +730€ ?

I mean, I know they do custom frames (well they call it tailor made), and they did GMBN's Random Tandem for example, but here it's a video by Mojo Suspension, linked to Chris Porter just like Geometron bikes, so it would make sense that he, more than anyone, could get a custom Nicolai to test high pivots (and his feedback could benefit Nicolai directly).

But I'm not sure they'd do it for any random dude. I mean it takes a suspension analysis, a certain amount of safety check. I'm not sure that fits in 730€. Your friend's bike maybe, but maybe not a high pivot or random tandem with probably specific parts for each of those two (on the tailor made page there's a tandem, but it's a much simpler, hardtail one https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/tailor-made/ ).

11/22/2022 8:40am

FullSend wrote:
That's a fully custom frame, not a stock one. Nicolai offers that service. They'll design you a custom frame to your specifications if you ask them...

You're sure they'd do such a bike for just +730€ ? I mean, I know they do custom frames (well they call it tailor made), and...

You're sure they'd do such a bike for just +730€ ?

I mean, I know they do custom frames (well they call it tailor made), and they did GMBN's Random Tandem for example, but here it's a video by Mojo Suspension, linked to Chris Porter just like Geometron bikes, so it would make sense that he, more than anyone, could get a custom Nicolai to test high pivots (and his feedback could benefit Nicolai directly).

But I'm not sure they'd do it for any random dude. I mean it takes a suspension analysis, a certain amount of safety check. I'm not sure that fits in 730€. Your friend's bike maybe, but maybe not a high pivot or random tandem with probably specific parts for each of those two (on the tailor made page there's a tandem, but it's a much simpler, hardtail one https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/tailor-made/ ).

I'm sure like there is a degree of flexibility in what they'll do depending on what you are willing to pay for and 730 is the base charge that covers most customers.  

FullSend
11/22/2022 11:25am
Primoz wrote:

FullSend wrote:

I think it's super cool.

boozed wrote:

Do they have a bike check here, or any chance of talking them into one?

He definitley won't do it himself so I'll ask if I can take a picture and upload it here, but it'll be awkward and I doubt that he'll agree. He's in his 50's (I think) and very much a "social media can f*ck right off"-kinda guy.

Primoz
11/22/2022 1:09pm

But Vital isn't social media. It's the comfy armchairs in the corner of the living room part of the internet where you can have honest to god debates!

Pedal4life
11/22/2022 2:41pm
Primoz wrote:
But Vital isn't social media. It's the comfy armchairs in the corner of the living room part of the internet where you can have honest to...

But Vital isn't social media. It's the comfy armchairs in the corner of the living room part of the internet where you can have honest to god debates!

Maybe the last place where the word honest can still be used

Primoz
11/22/2022 10:56pm

A goldie off Pinkbike by user chakaping regarding 6-bar and not-so-6-bar suspensions: "Well a single-pivot 4-bar is known as a "faux bar", so can we call this design a "sex bar"?"

Just a bit of a throwback Smile

sharpy212
11/23/2022 12:34pm

When will these tyres be available???

11/23/2022 12:58pm
sharpy212 wrote:

Probably not too soon. A Maxxis rep mentioned it in a Podcast that they offer the 2.5 DHR for their pro Teams only, and didn’t really show plans of releasing them to the public

11/23/2022 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2022 2:02pm
sharpy212 wrote:

Probably not too soon. A Maxxis rep mentioned it in a Podcast that they offer the 2.5 DHR for their pro Teams only, and didn’t really...

Probably not too soon. A Maxxis rep mentioned it in a Podcast that they offer the 2.5 DHR for their pro Teams only, and didn’t really show plans of releasing them to the public

When you typed DHR without the “II” I got excited.   Something in my brain said OG Highroller. I miss that tire...

mtbboy1993
11/24/2022 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/24/2022 12:56pm
sspomer wrote:

- 700g approx weight

- 30.9 or 31.6 diameters

185, 200mm version are needed. I currently use a 185mm dropper, but my Geometron G1 can fit a 200.

boozed
11/24/2022 10:05pm
Primoz wrote:
A goldie off Pinkbike by user chakaping regarding 6-bar and not-so-6-bar suspensions: "Well a single-pivot 4-bar is known as a "faux bar", so can we call this...

A goldie off Pinkbike by user chakaping regarding 6-bar and not-so-6-bar suspensions: "Well a single-pivot 4-bar is known as a "faux bar", so can we call this design a "sex bar"?"

Just a bit of a throwback Smile

New Zealand's way ahead of the rest of us here

Primoz
11/25/2022 2:19am

Relevant?

veefour
11/25/2022 9:43am

Apologies for extending the tangent, but this has to be my favourite NZ advert ever.

nato
11/25/2022 12:52pm
Primoz wrote:
Relevant?    

Relevant?

Ruddy Aussies taking the piss! We don't sound like that at all... 😎

11/29/2022 8:29am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2022 8:33am

New Scott bike coming December 1st, looks like an e-bike (small screen on toptube).  I'll be curious to see exactly how much the frame differs from the normal frame, and where they decide to stick the motor. 

I know e-bike tech isn't that interesting for most, but I like to think that these new brand of "barely e-bikes" like this and the trek Ex-e that nearly share the frame with the non-e counterpart could give direction to a gearbox/non-gearbox version of bikes...

metadave
11/29/2022 9:43am
New Scott bike coming December 1st, looks like an e-bike (small screen on toptube).  I'll be curious to see exactly how much the frame differs from...

New Scott bike coming December 1st, looks like an e-bike (small screen on toptube).  I'll be curious to see exactly how much the frame differs from the normal frame, and where they decide to stick the motor. 

I know e-bike tech isn't that interesting for most, but I like to think that these new brand of "barely e-bikes" like this and the trek Ex-e that nearly share the frame with the non-e counterpart could give direction to a gearbox/non-gearbox version of bikes...

The motor will be integrated into the pedals and completely unserviceable 

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest

The Latest