Accessibility Widget: On | Off

MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Create New Tag

6/21/2022 4:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2022 4:54 AM

Just wanted to chime in as well that I think Shimano has patented the adjustable clutch.

|

6/21/2022 7:45 AM

noideamtber wrote:

I wonder if Atherton's have anything to do with this bike? Looks like they are maybe providing the proto parts/bike for spesh? ...more

Mr.Nally wrote:

That would be like North Korea helping the USA develop ballistic missiles sideways

noideamtber wrote:

Kinda, This style of Printing is reasonably high tech and not alot of it is even used and we've never seen it before in MTB.
I ...more

Print your own lugs here: https://www.protolabs.com/services/3d-printing/direct-metal-laser-sintering/

Even use the same CAD as spesh (free trials at one point)Photo: https://www.onshape.com/en/

|

6/21/2022 8:15 AM

Could the new Demo be a 6-bar setup (a la DW6/Atherton) with the shock driven by one of the small lower links? Not sure Spesh would divert from FSR, but that phat chainstay looks like it's prime for multiple pivot locations behind the bottom bracket...

|

6/21/2022 8:21 AM

MTBrent wrote:

Could the new Demo be a 6-bar setup (a la DW6/Atherton) with the shock driven by one of the small lower links? Not sure Spesh ...more

I'm intrigued by the upper link. What prevents it from folding/falling below the seatstays?

|

6/21/2022 9:40 AM

Yes, I mentioned that as a possibility, but didn't go into it.

As far as Specialized CAD goes, they use Creo for CAD and Agile (oracle) and Windchill for PLM (check their job openings). Onshape looks to be a package deal containing EVERYTHING. I really wonder who signs up with them, considering the systems we use in our fairly small company, I can't see many people going for it as there will always be departments that will want to use something else. Ansys for example is the go-to in CAE/FEA. Plus people prefer to stay within a popular ecosystem as it means new hires will get up to speed quickly or find solutions to issues on Google without needing to contact support (though with the money spent for these packages, support tends to be quick and good).

As for 3D printing, Protolabs started off as a quick turn-around for injection molding (pre-printing days) where they did small runs, sometimes in silicone or aluminium tooling to get you the first protos samples, learn from them and implement changes before you went to a serial tool. But you can get local mold makers that can do a prototype tool and do test samples on it in their own facilities (tool makers usually also own injection molding machines to test the tools). I guess Protolabs is just worldwide known for their services and caters to certain clients.

And offtopic again.

|

6/21/2022 4:08 PM

Its good to know that the chain retention is poor on the gx axs before l blow my cc. Are all the axs derailleurs like that?

|

6/21/2022 6:59 PM

jason.west.750 wrote:

Its good to know that the chain retention is poor on the gx axs before l blow my cc. Are all the axs derailleurs like that?

I've had X01 AXS on my trail bike for about 18 months and haven't had a single issue. Never dropped a chain and not overly noisy.

|

6/21/2022 7:07 PM

jason.west.750 wrote:

matmattmatthew wrote:

I've had X01 AXS on my trail bike for about 18 months and haven't had a single issue. Never dropped a chain and not overly ...more

Ditto, same for a few other guys I know. No issues with the X01.

|

6/21/2022 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2022 7:26 PM

I know 3-4 other guys in my local area with GX AXS and we all have the same issue. Two of them have sent them back to SRAM only to be told its in perfect working order and functions as intended. Perhaps we need to start a GX AXS Support group thread hahaha

|

6/21/2022 10:36 PM

nskerb wrote:

I think he’s grossly exaggerating pedal kick in both directions. Specifically the forward part though.

westrm wrote:

I'm about to ditch GX AXS because it essentially has no clutch and my chain flaps around like crazy and ive never had my feet ...more

I test rode a bike with it and felt the same thing with the feet, it would also make noises on climbs… like it was adjusting itself…. Is that normal??

|

6/22/2022 8:05 AM

Photo
Short cage AXS mech
|

6/22/2022 8:09 AM

Team_tons_of_pusy wrote: Photo
Short cage AXS mech

Been around a while it is just an X01 or XX1 axs mech with short cage from a x01 dh mech, function is ok, not as good as normal axs(friend did it too)

|

6/22/2022 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2022 9:07 AM

westrm wrote:

I'm about to ditch GX AXS because it essentially has no clutch and my chain flaps around like crazy and ive never had my feet ...more

I'm on XT 11 speed and not looking to change until they stop selling it. I'm not a fan of Sram derailleurs, the GX groupo or AXS in general but I'm having a hard time understanding how the derailleur is bucking your feet off?

|

just hanging out with the bros, feeding off of each other

6/22/2022 2:04 PM

Interesting GX AXS talk, i recently got a GX AXS - shop installed But we cant get it to go Over far enough in the "easiest" gear, with the limit unwound all the way, Its like this on Two wheelsets, one with GX 52T and other Shimano cassettes.
on a Carbon stumpjumper evo 2022 if it matters.
itll rotate and engage nicely 95% of the time but it sometimes rides the top of the teeth before dropping into place - thats awfully annoying when i have to use that gear.

|

6/22/2022 2:13 PM

therock911 wrote:

So I’m not going crazy and this is actually a thing with gx axs? I know Shimano always had firmer clutches but this gx axs ...more

Noeserd wrote:

Yes, there is tons of complaints from gx axs users

Erwan_Ghesquiere wrote:

Many threads about how bad the Sram clutch is nowadays full stop. I have GX on my GF bike and the clutch got loose pretty ...more

I do miss being able to adjust the tension on my newer SRAM mechs

|

6/22/2022 3:52 PM

jason.west.750 wrote:

I don't have any issues keeping the chain on (sramano set up- shimano cassette, chain ring, and chain with a GX AXS rd), but after a dozen rides I've come to the same conclusion. The lower cage flaps around like crazy. Didn't have issues with the stock XT rd, and the AXS clutch feels firm in the stand, but likes to dance on the trail.

|

6/22/2022 8:40 PM

noideamtber wrote:

Interesting GX AXS talk, i recently got a GX AXS - shop installed But we cant get it to go Over far enough in the "easiest" ...more

I don't think that's an issue with the derailleur not moving left far enough. I've seen this often with properly setup mechanical dérailleurs as well. Even happening after it meshed as it should, then starting to ride the teeth.

What's the wear state of the chain and and cassette?

|

6/22/2022 9:05 PM

So, no new tech? Nothing on the new Hightower?

|

6/22/2022 9:59 PM

baronKanon wrote:

It has a hidey-hole for your herbal sedatives, an observation port for your sag indicator and is reassuringly expensive.

|

6/22/2022 10:38 PM

baronKanon wrote:

Well as they said it's not a revolution.

What I find interesting is the size specific carbon layup which does make sense as the XL from my buddy cracked a year ago and he still hasn't gotten a replacement frame. Seems like he get's a v3 now.

Another interesting part is the use of angular contact bearings in the lower link again. My v2 Bronson came with those and I think the second year of the v2 they switched to grooved ball bearings with a shell in between. At least from the 3D they show the shell seems missing. I might be wrong on this though.
I'm intereseted why they use those again. I had mine disintegrate 2 times and was much happier with the grooved ball bearings and shell in between.

|

6/22/2022 10:47 PM

Nothing on the new GT SENSOR?

|

6/23/2022 7:09 AM

baronKanon wrote:

this was on our homepage 2 days ago - it's ok to leave the tech forum once in a while : )
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/First-Look-2023-Santa-Cruz-Hightower,3798

|

6/23/2022 7:55 AM

nollak wrote:

Well as they said it's not a revolution.

What I find interesting is the size specific carbon layup which does make sense as ...more

I don't think they actually switched to angular contacts. Under their technical documentation in the bike archive they list them as 6900-1zr. Layout of the link is identical to those that have non-angular bearings. Bearing spacer in the middle is there, which you don't use with angular contacts. It would appear there's some information on the main page for the bike that's wrong. Here's their exploded view of the lower link:
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/files/styles/scb_natural_960_auto/public/ht3c_exploded_view_ll.png?itok=V1KoYOEK

What I wonder is why the downsized the bearings.

|

6/23/2022 7:58 AM

The link itself can stay the same for angular contact bearings, but yes, technically having the spacer there makes it pointless to have angular contact bearings.

|

6/23/2022 8:39 AM

baronKanon wrote:

sspomer wrote:

this was on our homepage 2 days ago - it's ok to leave the tech forum once in a while : )
...more

My post was a nudge to "my GX AXS clutch is weak" "mine too!" "mine three" etc. posts herr

|

6/23/2022 9:11 AM

Primoz wrote:

The link itself can stay the same for angular contact bearings, but yes, technically having the spacer there makes it ...more

They historically have not used spacers on links with angular contact bearings.

|

6/23/2022 1:16 PM

I’d be prepared to see an influx of new or revamped “trail” bikes in the next year, or sooner. The Fuel EX, cannondale Habit/GT sensor,

|

Making bikes go fast since 2020

6/23/2022 2:30 PM

Hopefully sooner.

|

6/23/2022 4:21 PM

hitar_potar wrote:

Noone’s talking about the new Trek Fuel EX-e… Some sort of an embargo? Seems like a great alternative to the Levo SL and the ...more

gbcoke wrote:

You mean this ? Looks like the bike discussed earlier in this tread...
New TQ motor with a 360wh battery and around 18.4 kg ...more

styriabeef wrote:

Do we think this is the same bike? Photo

Speaking of new trail bikes. Has it been decided that the white bike is a Trek? The yellow trek looks like a darn Sensor!

|

6/23/2022 5:13 PM

Did Nicolai produce the chainstay on the new prototype demo

Photo

Photo

|